It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a new computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I was PC all the way until I got an iMac today. All I can say is WOW.
I can actually watch stuff in full screen and in 1080p, ooommmmggg, THE COLOURS, THEY BURN!!!

lol...but yeah, Apple consumer here for life now...
I can see the hype around it, i'm only like 3-4 years too late, but that's fine. this is beyond my expectation, or I must have very little when it comes to computers now ever since I spent the last like 6-7 years with the same old piece of crap Acer that could barely let me type full sentences without freezing lol..

I never knew ATS looked so good, and half the avatars are clearer now lol, good times..

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Yup, they sure know how to make that tech jewllery!

(Just kidding, wish I could afford some of that good stuff).

If I may ask, what are the specs?

edit on 8/7/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Mac's are ok.
There are PC's with HD screens and great specs now a days though.
You probably would have spent a lot less on a pc.
Just saying.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Umm... strange, I've got a 1080p monitor, full resolution, wide screen. I watch my tv on it with the hdtv usb tv tuner I have, or I have it on the little monitor on the side that I have using the on board video.

Not sure what you're saying is really evidence of the better machine..

But whatever floats yer boat! 8]

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Now add those same specs to a killer linux distro and
you'll have yourself a beast.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Building your own machine + Linux (I like mint) = Win over all!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I had... but there is still too much tearing with ati video cards and full screen hdtv. Any fast movement and it's horrible to watch. But that's not nix fault, thats ATI for having such crap driver support.

I need to go back to nvidia. never had any issues with that and nix.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
You do know that if you bought the latest in PC hardware you would get the same results only cheaper, not very useful to compare a new mac to an old PC that wont let you type a sentence...

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Don't try to be an individual or think for yourself around it....IT HATES THAT!!!
And don't ever smoke around it because...Well....It HATES THAT!!! I ran one for about seven months then I showed it the door! I've been working with computers since the old Atari days and in the seven months I owned the imac I had more problems than any system I'd owned to that period. I seem to be alone in the universe though, for everyone else they "Just go!" Now I'm back on an HP six core runnin for 3 years without so much as a hiccup. Funny thing is, when I started thinking about selling it, it worked awesome for the three weeks it took for a buyer to show up

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I run a up to date Linux distro on a 10 year old Computer and it is a BEAST!!!!

If I ran Windows it would be a Broken Computer and need of an update.

MAC software/distro is based off BSD which is......ohhhh never mind.

Love the Computer Wars.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
And all you had to do was get an Alienware for $1500 with a $400 32 inch LED TV Screen and you'd make that iMac look like crap for a little more money with better specs than a Mac Pro and have a system that'll stay kickin' for 7 years with no issue.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Ignore the mac haters.

Install windows 7 on that as a dual boot, and you just killed most of the arguments against macs. (except you just made a mac that crashes lol)

My gaming PC is a beast of a pc that I built, have to trouble shoot that bitch on the daily

(I worked in computer repair for three years, not a novice user)

And guess what my work horse is my Mac book pro, why because it never f-ing crashes, period, Ive never so much as had to hard reset the thing in all the years Ive had macs.

I am a power user of BOTH operating systems, I build my PC's to game, and I buy my macs for when I just want a computer that won't blow up on me from simply surfing the net.
edit on 9-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The funny is along the righthand edge of the graphic...

edit on 7/9/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I bought an imac 3 months ago and I hate it. I'm trying real hard to
adjust but I *really* regret buying it. Why they put the usb ports and headphone jack behind the screen is beyond me. I've got other problems
like software issues, freezing issues and other stuff. I was a pc user from the getgo and i even used linux and liked that way better than this expensive imac.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Glad you like your new Mac OP. Macs are a good machine that cost a bit more, because more is put into them from the factory.

One of the things about the computer industry that has always annoyed me greatly is that the PC market didn't follow Apple/Mac example. Instead of flooding the market with cheap Windows PC's, they should have charged the premium, and created a quality market.

But instead they created a tiered market. Cheap, midrange, and high-end. Cheap means cheap, folks. Never buy computers off the shelf unless you KNOW what you are buying. Order or build, and spend the extra money for performance/price ratio.

Windows vs. Mac OS. I have problems with neither. Because I maintain my Operating System, and I know it's limitations. Neither is better than the other except where it comes down to personal taste.

If the average person truly understood the computer industry, they'd be so mad it would take an army to keep the public from lynching the owners of every manufacturer out there.
edit on 7/9/2012 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
thanks for the replies, I probably should have posted about it before like I originally intended but oh well,
I'm actually really liking this computer, day 2 and it's just a typical good working computer, all I wanted.
and don't worry about me 'wasting' money, this was 'free'.

as you can tell I am not a computer person by any stretch of the imagination. I turn it on, it does stuff.
I was never able to get too into it without dying of some form of boredom.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I can actually watch stuff in full screen and in 1080p, ooommmmggg, THE COLOURS, THEY BURN!!!

I can see the hype around it, i'm only like 3-4 years too late, but that's fine. this is beyond my expectation, or I must have very little when it comes to computers now ever since I spent the last like 6-7 years with the same old piece of crap Acer that could barely let me type full sentences without freezing lol..

I never knew ATS looked so good, and half the avatars are clearer now lol, good times..

Macs are crap imo - getting a good compiler for developer needs is a toss. Should have gotten a gaming asus system. Asus is badass...
edit on 9-7-2012 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes

Originally posted by yourmaker

Macs are crap imo - getting a good compiler for developer needs is a toss. Should have gotten a gaming asus system. Asus is badass...
edit on 9-7-2012 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

the only computer game i'm playing is Counter strike source and that runs fine on this "crap"

the real reason I wanted the Mac is because of Garageband to make an album.
sure there's logicpro and cubase etc.. but I know GB fairly well, and once I get an adapter for my midi keyboard i'll be up and running and working

new topics

top topics

join