It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS front page ?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This whole thread is giving me a good laugh.

No, I don't like the new front page either, but it's not really a big deal to me. Some other poster said it looks like a bunch of post it notes. Very apt description. The colors are too bland as well. I'l check my Javascript.

For the record though, I don't come here for the pretty pictures. I come here for the content.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam
Terrible interface. I don't have anything positive to say. It SUCKS!!

Wow...talk about wall of,text. Awful layout.

But applaud for the attempt. The previous layout was at least kind on the eyes.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Here's an alternative execution of the same idea...
www.abovetopsecret.com/indexM.php

The "boxes," while emerging as a structural convention (especially when photos are used), might be showing differently in some browsers, and making things much worse for those on older browsers.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 7/6/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Are you using HTML5 embedded fonts? I think older versions of IE won't render those...

No. I'm only using "Web Safe" fonts throughout all of ATS.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am just curious as to how many of you actually used the homepage at all before today?

I never did. Recent posts, MyATS, and the Forum navigation pages are my primary methods of getting around in here.

Also, for experiment sake i just looked at the Homepage on my iphone and have to say IT IS MUCH BETTER FOR A SMART PHONE.

My opinion only, of course. Also, for the people truly interested in the forum, and not interested in taking cheap shots at the ATS script boys, the front page makes little difference. The staff will fix it, they always do.

Its amazing what type of wrench you can throw into someones day by just changing the Home page!!!! This websight should be studied as a college level social experiment....

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
yeah, now just different shades of grey ;/

Not a fan of this new format

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
OK, here's my 2 cents!

I don't like it or hate it. My critique is as follows

First there is no "flow" to the page. When you look at the page after it loads there is nothing to catch your eye at the top which starts your natural eye movement (left to right) in reading the page.

secondly, the colors are muted and ominous looking. There should be more contrast between the topic sections.

Then the text is all similar making it well "bland"

ATS is a cutting edge website when it comes to news, conspiracies and many other topics so it should have some separation on main topics on the front page.

"Deny Ignorance" the site motto is not well seen under the ATS header image....

The overall appearance of the page makes it look like a warehouse

add color, a picture or two.

I wonder if a script type news feed running current topics across the screen might be one way to include more info and threads on the front page without losing all the space trying highlight many stories..

remember KISS when building your page

(keep it simple stupid)

also remember like in a newspaper... locate the most important news/topics above the fold! In other words when a page loads make sure that the important stuff can be seen with out scrolling down.

I hope this helps....

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The "boxes," while emerging as a structural convention (especially when photos are used), might be showing differently in some browsers, and making things much worse for those on older browsers.

I personally like this better, but I still believe that there has to be some kind of categorization like before with "Current Member Picks" "Popular Topics" etc. to break up the "wall of text."
edit on 6-7-2012 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgenstern89

I personally like this better, but I still believe that there has to be some kind of categorization like before with "Current Member Picks" "Popular Topics" etc. to break up the "wall of text."

"Wall of text"

Exactly, it's nothing less. I find my eyes darting all over rather than being drawn to what I want to read?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

but I still believe that there has to be some kind of categorization like before with "Current Member Picks" "Popular Topics" etc. to break up the "wall of text

It's all based on flags, or "Member Picks." Everything shown is the top-flagged threads, started in the previous 48 hours.

The biggest challenge with showing ATS topics is that "text" is all that we are.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Actually this is *way* more smooth than the coloured version. The font is still much too big. While it might look nice on a mobile device, it looks awful on my 24" 1080p Screen ( 1920x1080 ).

I would like to point out again that the colour scheme apparently follows no rule set or pattern. My suggestion concerning the colour scheme: Use the grey version because it harmonizes much better with the rest of the site, OR make it more subtle by setting the cell border color accordingly instead of cell background colour. Additionally the colours schould represent the various forums from which the displayed topic originates, and they shouldn't be cluttered all around but should have a certain order which makes it easy to find ones preferred topics.

Just my personal opinion.

ETA: Or how about leaving the different colours away completely, and put a little icon into each box, analog to how they are displayed on the recent posts page ? How'd that look ?
edit on 6-7-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
At first I was like, whaaaaaht!?????

Then it sank in.

I like the new format.

It focuses on the UGC, which is all of our writing and sharing. And it causes one to read more and that brings out the personality of the thread authors and somehow I like to think that that would give us more to go on then just a tagline when choosing what to peruse.

It's a writing site. Now it looks like one.

Good job staff. Now let's work on the adverts.

X.

Oh and those tiles can become more like active icons right? With inserts that show off other media such as video and pics on any given thread?

Oh, I get it...

Windows 8.

?
edit on 6-7-2012 by Xoanon because: .

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

but I still believe that there has to be some kind of categorization like before with "Current Member Picks" "Popular Topics" etc. to break up the "wall of text

It's all based on flags, or "Member Picks." Everything shown is the top-flagged threads, started in the previous 48 hours.

The biggest challenge with showing ATS topics is that "text" is all that we are.

Yeah. I see what you mean. And as far as I can tell the old layout was kind of broken up by arbitrary categories, whether it was Member Picks, Popular Topics, More Popular Topics, etc they all came from different sections. But at least they were broken up, even if there was no rhyme or reason to it. I think the goal now would be to make those categories not-so-arbitrary. Have one chunk that pulls the top threads from all the political categories, have one that pulls from the mysterious/paranormal forums, have one that pulls from the general conspiracy section, and so on.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Double post, sorry.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't comment here often, in fact, almost never, but as I visit the site very often, I'd like to leave my opinion about the new design. ATS has ugly colors and a "geek, retro, ufo" look to me. (If I could I'd put the site in pink with flowers and ribbons.) Anyway I don't come here to look at it, but to learn from it and I can easily say that I love this site! And also love the idea of getting fresher and versatile!
However the new layout is truly messy! I didn't know where to look, what articles to give priority. Sincerely, it is frustrating to look at this wall of text. I understand the concern about mobiles and different screen sizes. But really, the new layout is a big no no for me. I read this site from a 13" notebook and the previous version was great, as for this notebook and the home pc 22" screen.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I am all for change and development but it really is not an improvement imo.

Please change it back or edit it further, it looks kinda blockly and doesn't flow as well when you read it.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
I am just curious as to how many of you actually used the homepage at all before today?

I never did. Recent posts, MyATS, and the Forum navigation pages are my primary methods of getting around in here.

Also, for experiment sake i just looked at the Homepage on my iphone and have to say IT IS MUCH BETTER FOR A SMART PHONE.

My opinion only, of course. Also, for the people truly interested in the forum, and not interested in taking cheap shots at the ATS script boys, the front page makes little difference. The staff will fix it, they always do.

Its amazing what type of wrench you can throw into someones day by just changing the Home page!!!! This websight should be studied as a college level social experiment....

True, I had the recent topics page pinned to my screen on my iPad for years....however I hope this isn't a taste as to what's to come to said page.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Never. My bookmark goes directly to the Login screen and then I go directly to MyATS or Recent Posts. I don't use the homepage or the firehose.

Agreed and should be a great format for tablets, as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I liked the old page layout.
Sorry but this new version is nasty looking

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join