It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canned Food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

If you can add salt to your food when you need it, I'd think it's better than having too much that you can't get rid of...

and having loads of salt for barter would be a good investment as it's value would rise enormously

used to be part of a roman soldiers pay too [salarium]=salary

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have heard of drinking dill pickle juice to help retain water and reduce musle cramps for years. Maybe keeping an unopened jar in my bag would be beneficial as well.

Researchers say the juice at the bottom of a pickle jar is more effective at staving off crippling muscle cramps than water. In fact, pickle brine seemed to ease cramp pains so quickly that he doubts it even had time to leave athletes' stomaches before it started to work.

Instead, Miller and the other researchers argued that pickle juice might spark some kind of "neurally mediated reflex" that helps give the right cues to misfiring muscles, which are thought to cause cramps.

www.aolnews.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

No Sardines on pizza !! That's just wrong !! I have friends that do a lot of bodybuilding and they swear by sardines ! They are high in protein and low in fat , they prefer sardines to canned tuna or salmon because there a fraction of the cost and just as nutritious !

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Canned foods are mighty heavy to carry in a bob. I would suggest having an escape route planned ahead of time, may be multiple ones which would lead to a point where you have hidden supplies of food and whatever you think is necessary.

Creating different staged areas along the route is important, because it will allow for more supplies such as canned foods to be available and pre-built shelters. I have often thought of growing a bug out garden somewhere remote along a route to have available in case of need as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I never thought about a garden along my route. How big of a garden were you thinking of? A nice sized one or just a few plants?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317
reply to post by Daedal

I never thought about a garden along my route. How big of a garden were you thinking of? A nice sized one or just a few plants?

Probably a few tomatoes plants, not sure what strains, peppers and cucumbers possibly. Size is going to vary on who you are supporting.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Just my opinion but if sh&t really hits the fan be it by bombs , flood , earthquake , i don't think I would have time to stop and pick tomatoes and there's a good chance your chosen escape route may not be there ? I'm not a big fan of planning routes in advance . I would find out how many different ways I could get out and head for the hills !!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Canned roast beef or corned beef hash (lots of calories and filling) canned tuna in water (you can drink the water if need be) canned chicken as well

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

That's a good point. In a event of severe nature, then having supplies elsewhere to possibly reach couldn't hurt. But it depends on what the scenario is.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Canned foods are good for a destination or the pantry or root cellar.

For a BOB, they are wasted weight when ther are so many economical and longterm alternatives...ie dried fruit, jerky, pouches, etc.

On the other hand... if you must travel with cans... I suggest small cans with the EZ open tabs. Foods that will stick to your bones and that are proven winners...experience straight from working the field and trimming trees and right of ways along power lines and farming...stuff like:

Pork and Beans
Beany Weinies
Tuna
Vienna Sausages

Maybe even include some Pudding Cups... no can opener needed...just a plastic spoon will do. Also, don't forget the Little Debbie Snacks....

Startin' to sound like a red neck BOB... where's them salted BBQ peanuts?
edit on 5-7-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I know when building your BOB canned foods is a dirty word, however, sometimes the benefits of canned foods may out weigh the drawbacks or that may be the only thing people can grab if they are under prepared. My question is, what canned foods would be the best to pack. Canned foods that have a high calorie count, protein, vitamins, etc.

I was thinking canned chili, re-fried beans, fruit, chicken, or tuna. What do you think? What do you think the best canned food is for a bob?

I have 1 can of chili in my BOB so I can heat it quickly over a fire and still be able to use the can afterwards.
edit on 5-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

a great informative video, i have chosen DAK a canned ham good for 4+ years and tastes great, precooked, ready to eat out of the can or heat it and enjoy, seriously if you like ham you will love DAK.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Canned Lima beans are perfect. They are a superfood and are very high in protein. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Hey man...another thread another encounter and post.

I spent last weekend with 2 nights and 3 days.
I had a can of chili and a can of beans and some jerky and had to hunt for my food because of it.
Your pack is as heavy as you want or need to make it but remember...you have to carry it.
The heaviest things in my pack was canned food and a 6 pack of beer.

Do you really think you can carry a bag full of cans for very long?

I suggest dehydrated veggies and some rice that you can make with water....hauling cans is a bitch.

Make your pack lighter....you will thank yourself for it later.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't think there will be any need for excessive canned foods as we are all easily surviving in the united states if by surviving you mean "canned foods" I think welfare takes care of that

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
At the present time corn might not be a bad investment. Prices per bushel have increased by 41% in a month. In another couple months you'll see prices for a lot of grocery store items that use corn/syrup sky rocket even without the inflation that's not really happening.

If you're already at your retreat stocking up with the cheap (GMO) canned foods is not a bad idea for charity/barter purposes. Just walk down the canned food isle EVERY time you're at the store and when something is on sale, for me 39 to 42 cents, check the dates and if far enough out, buy a dozen. What's a few dollars for people who spend hundreds on the cell phones?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Always a pleasure sir. I enjoy your thoughts and input on the subjects.

I have some dried foods in my bag and a few MREs. I only planned on throwing in one or two cans... Now I need to find dehydrated beer!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Never mind... I found it!!!

Alcohol Powder

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
How about Tac Bac - tactical bacon? It has a ten year shelf life, 18 servings per can at 3 slices of bacon per serving, 9oz per can

It is made by a company named CMMG.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317
Never mind... I found it!!!

Alcohol Powder

That is the NUMBER ONE most awesome thing that I have ever seen!!! Must get some of this!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join