Canned Food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I know when building your BOB canned foods is a dirty word, however, sometimes the benefits of canned foods may out weigh the drawbacks or that may be the only thing people can grab if they are under prepared. My question is, what canned foods would be the best to pack. Canned foods that have a high calorie count, protein, vitamins, etc.

I was thinking canned chili, re-fried beans, fruit, chicken, or tuna. What do you think? What do you think the best canned food is for a bob?

I have 1 can of chili in my BOB so I can heat it quickly over a fire and still be able to use the can afterwards.
edit on 5-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Canned yams are inexpensive and nutritional. IF I made a BOB I'd have a lot of Spam, canned veggies and fruit, canned soups, canned fish and chicken, beans, chili and so on. The more variety, the better in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
High protein and medium salt to give you energy.
I would only chose high quality canned food and im not talking about name brands. Usely name brands are the worse because they have to produce so much.

I know amy's makes some good vegetable soups.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317
I know when building your BOB canned foods is a dirty word, however, sometimes the benefits of canned foods may out weigh the drawbacks or that may be the only thing people can grab if they are under prepared. My question is, what canned foods would be the best to pack. Canned foods that have a high calorie count, protein, vitamins, etc.

I was thinking canned chili, re-fried beans, fruit, chicken, or tuna. What do you think? What do you think the best canned food is for a bob?

I have 1 can of chili in my BOB so I can heat it quickly over a fire and still be able to use the can afterwards.
edit on 5-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

I was kinda thinking along these same lines today...I have a bugout location, but haven't prepared a BOB as of yet. High protein and calorie count would be good for energy I guess. Forget the canned fruit...go with dried (it has to be lighter, which I think is what the BOB is all about, at least at first), as well as canned tuna. You can get tuna in those packets now...and could prolly fit about 5 of those in the place of one can...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

Canned food is better than no food!

I think one of the biggest things to try to do is make sure it's got some good nutrion, and make sure there's some variety. Also, maybe keeping the sodium content down to a minimum would probably help. Really though, variety... Eating cans of something every day for a week will get old fast. Trust me, I've done it.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
They have tuna that comes in packets now, so that is less bulk/weight than an actual can. It is high in protein and tastes pretty good!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'm no expert, but I would consider the amount of people you plan to feed. For example, my current BOB is set up for myself and my five year old. While beans are high protein, am I likely to get my child to eat them before she reaches the point of starvation? Not likely. So I'd probably throw in some of those tuna/cracker combo things.

However, I think the chili and beans and soups are a great way to go because you can stretch it a lot further. One can of beans with a couple cans of water, if you're lucky enough to get some meat, and maybe some wild greens could make a tasty, nutritious three-four meals (at least, depending on activity level and how much you are needing to eat).

edit on 5-7-2012 by MojaveBurning because: to fix a typo

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
If you are truly thinking Bug Out, as in running for the hills, you might want to think about dehydrated/freeze dried because of the weight, in other words, "hiker foods." The stuff is expensive, but it weighs little. "Canned food" and "Bug Out" are not words that go together well.

If you are intending to stay where you are, canned food makes a lot more sense. Mountain House nitrogen filled #10 cans come to mind, but I sure wouldn't want to hike with them or have them take up space in a jeep!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Canned food is damn to heavy
but its good to have at home but not in a bug out bag

maybe 2-3 cans but thats it
water is the most important and already very heavy

my reserves are getting better
everyone should do that
because if the stores runs out of things one day when SHTF
you will wish you could go back in time when you could buy everything
depending on the stores each 2 days doing the groceries
in a SHTF scenario .. the stores wont receive any supply
no trucks will make the deliveries like the old times

Make reserves WHILE YOU CAN

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

keeping the sodium content down to a minimum

umm no, dude[ette]
salt is only bad for sedentary moderns and couch potatoes
in a post SHTF scenario, you'll be getting lots of exercise so you'd need to consume more not less

the problem with canned food is weight
now if you lived in an impenetrable,or even better undetectable, bunker/fortress and had the storage space...

chunky's sirloin burger, chicken noodle, and vegetable soups

coupla tons of rice...

of course if one did have the above an aquaponics setup would be de riguer
but a couple of warehousefulls of the above would only be sensible to cover all possible bases

edit on 5-7-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I agree. If you are already where you need to be bugged-out at, then load up on the canned foods. If you have to grab and bag and go, canned food is mighty heavy, so you may not be able to carry enough to meet your needs.

I am already in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have freeze-dried anything. I have a heck of a lot of canned food, dried beans, rice, peas, lentils, milk, etc. If something were to happen today, I could easily feed my husband and myself for up to 6 months at the very least.

If you gotta run, the lighter, the better. Consider nuts and dried fruit. You could go a long time on those.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I know salt is important, but really... How many people will be doing something besides waiting for the power to come back on? Practically everyone I know would just sit around waiting for things to get better. Not everyone will be going out and doing things. Maybe going with minimal sodium isn't quite such a good idea, but making sure you're not having too much is a good idea. Too much salt means excessive water consumption due to a thirsting sensation.

If you can add salt to your food when you need it, I'd think it's better than having too much that you can't get rid of...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MojaveBurning
I'm no expert, but I would consider the amount of people you plan to feed. For example, my current BOB is set up for myself and my five year old. While beans are high protein, am I likely to get my child to eat them before she reaches the point of starvation? Not likely.

edit on 5-7-2012 by MojaveBurning because: to fix a typo

Kids today... LOL

I didn't even think about the amount of people. I plan on leaving by myself so I only have to pack for me. Although, having a kid to carry all the heavy stuff would be great!

I see everyone has put a little thought into this and keeping the number of cans to a minimum is ideal. I see a lot of tuna suggested, but would it have enough calories?

Originally posted by NotApplicable
Canned yams are inexpensive and nutritional. IF I made a BOB I'd have a lot of Spam, canned veggies and fruit, canned soups, canned fish and chicken, beans, chili and so on. The more variety, the better in my opinion.

I never thought of canned yams. That's a great idea.

Also, what does everyone think about some packets of Gatorade mix in the BOB?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Canned food is damn to heavy
but its good to have at home but not in a bug out bag

maybe 2-3 cans but thats it
water is the most important and already very heavy

My bug out location has a lot of canned foods, rice, mixes and the like. However, it's also 120 miles away. I am just looking to have a can or two and the rest dried foods. You are correct that water is going to be the heaviest and trying to keep that to a minimum for me may not be the best. Oh, if only I could go back in time and buy a helicopter at 1970s prices. LOL

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have a whole load of Canned sardines in the cupboard , I love them for lunch with rice crackers which keep well to . They come in a variety of ways , in spring water , tomato sauce mustard sauce , hot sauce . Theyre fairly nutricious and the cans are small and easy to pack . I eat them almost every day so I rotate my supply and there fairly cheap ,

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by schuyler

If you gotta run, the lighter, the better. Consider nuts and dried fruit. You could go a long time on those.

Nuts and dried fruit, I think, are the best option. A lot of essential vitamins, protein, and sugars. Do you dry your own fruit? I have a friend that bought a dehydrator specifically for that purpose.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

I need to look into those. What is the nutritional content compared to canned tuna or salmon? I assume it would change slightly depending on the sauce, but would they be better in the long run? I bet you are that guy that orders sardines on pizza.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Rats scurrying in the open are easy to pick off, so will be those with BOBs by those that didn't prepare. Unless it's a fire, flood, lava flow or invading land forces WE will be setting up the perimeter defences and trips.

Raw rolled oats are $15 /50 Lbs at feed stores that keep 2 years and serve as garden mulch and bird feed when time to replace. Cracked corn is even cheaper. 500 pounds is cheap, last ditch survival insurance at $150 every 2 years.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I have been collecting canned..potato's,green beans,corn,tuna,diced tomatoes,red kidney beans,peas,...all in which have been canned only with water and salt and a shelf life probably longer than me
..pretty heavy load eh

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

funny the cans o' sardines that I have do not have any nutritional info at all on it...make me wonder if it originally came as part of a bulk package...I honest don't remember...)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join