It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"It's a boson:" Higgs quest bears new particle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

"It's a boson:" Higgs quest bears new particle

www.reuters.com

Scientists at the CERN research center have found a new subatomic particle that could be the Higgs boson, the basic building block of the universe.

"I can confirm that a particle has been discovered that is consistent with the Higgs boson theory," said John Womersley, chief executive of Britain's Science & Technology Facilities Council, at an event in London.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.astronomy.com
www.popularmechanics.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Higgs live feed
The Higgs Boson... yes, .... and what...?
1.21 Gigawatts!? National Ignition Facility Announces: LIFE Fusion Within 6 to 18 Months!

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline

edit on 7/4/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Scientisists at the FermiLab's Tevatron have hinted at this result based upon their analysis of trillions of collisions, but would not confirm their suppositions.
The CERN report seems to have provided the independent confirmation they were waiting for.
According to Reuters' science experts, "It is the last undiscovered piece of the Standard Model that describes the fundamental make-up of the universe; the model is for physicists what the theory of evolution is for biologists."
Now that we've determined what gives sub-atomic particles mass and form, perhaps we can now move on to the issue of fusing nuclei for energy production.

www.reuters.com (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-7-2012 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

End of Days,Revolution,Mind awakaning,God particle.....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

"As a layman, I would now say I think we have it."

www.telegraph.co.uk...
The results are a "5-sigma" event, indicative of a condience level of 99.99%.

Professor John Womersley. chief executive of the Science and technology Facilities Council, told reporters at a briefing in London: "They have discovered a particle consistent with the Higgs boson.

"Discovery is the important word. That is confirmed. It's a momentous day for science."

"We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature,” said CERN Director General Rolf Heuer.

“The discovery of a particle consistent with the Higgs boson opens the way to more detailed studies, requiring larger statistics, which will pin down the new particle’s properties, and is likely to shed light on other mysteries of our universe.”

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I've been watching the conference stream. I got caught up in the excitement of it all, brought a tear to the eye.

We've just witnessed a major historical moment, of the good kind. This day will never be forgotten.

The future of physics looks bright and sparkly, a universe of possibilities is opening up before us.
Good times

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Very interesting times!

For anyone not familiar with it, this explains it a little more clearly.

but there is still a lot of work to be done

After today's announcement, Heuer alluded to the job ahead. "We have to find out which kind of Higgs boson this is. ... We have discovered a boson, and now we have to determine what kind of boson it is," he told reporters. Later, he said "we can call it a Higgs boson, but we cannot call it the Higgs boson."

Getting the full picture would take time. "Ask me in three, four years," after the LHC reaches full power, Heuer said.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Time Travel, Dimensional Travel, and Space Travel are never going to be the same. All are possibilities we just have to try, safely.

Pretty #ing Cool.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
What they have 'found' is merely a psychophysical manifestation of their collective desires. The fools.

edit on 4-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iam'___'
I've been watching the conference stream. I got caught up in the excitement of it all, brought a tear to the eye.

We've just witnessed a major historical moment, of the good kind. This day will never be forgotten.

The future of physics looks bright and sparkly, a universe of possibilities is opening up before us.
Good times

possibilities??....like feeding more people?, creating more jobs? stabilizing governments for the good of their respectve peoples? free energy? a better life for mankind?
none of the scientists have said what practical applications the discovery will bring about...the only thing i see is that scientists are keeping their well-paid jobs at taxpayer expense.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
They haven't said that because they are still studying the finding. IF they are correct and the have found the H-B it will change a great deal of things over time. You can't look at this like turning on a light switch. Nothing will happen for quite some time. Once we have proven it's existence we have to then learn how to apply it. This is the physics discovery of history. Don't demean it by being so wrapped up in how to squeeze money out of it that you forget that it is a huge step in learning about our universe.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Many are not aware of what BH means to mankind, or its relevance, thus the apathy.

It is a major discovery, something which could change our world in the years to come, closer to fulfilling our destiny.

For a long time, scientists claimed light contains no mass, but other elements do contain mass that gives it shape and form, thus our existance instead of beams of lights traversing across the universe. Questions is, what gives elements mass?

Today, they finally found proof of such sub-atomic particles that gives mass, in varing degress to each element.

The next critical and most vital question that scientists should be asking now is - what are the MECHANICS that enables the BH particle turn light into massed elements?

That is the question when answered, will provide much of progress and evolution to mankind.

Think of it. When the mechanics of BH particles are known and tested in years to come, some of the things we will see are :-

1. A BH energy field could be fixed-up in deserts, to turn air into water, turning the land into arable fields with lakes and rivers.

2.A BH energy field converter providing elements for food resources.

3. BH energy fields to reversedly turn objects and beings into light with codes, and then through another BH energy field portal to recombine into original matter from light. Teleportation.

4. A ship surrounded by BH energy fields, and when attacked by missles passing through it, that energy field will turn those missles into light which only harmlessly reflect off the hulls of the ship

Such research will need funds and the best and brightest from democracies at the initial stages. Dictatorships and tyrannies would want and have funds for such tech, as they need not spend earned national revenues on social spending such as broadbased education, healthcare, infrasture, on their slaves

But subsequently when the breakthrough is acheived in democracies, it will filter down to the economy through the manufacture of such devices, not only for our world, but colonies in the universe as well, which mean jobs aplenty. The worry then is - will there be enough of humankind and brain dead robots to create those devices....
edit on 4-7-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

pure speculation and B.S. if anything has been created it will not be used for the good of mankind, only bought and paid for to create war. From the beginning of time man has succeeded mostly with the advancement of Race via war with another Race.

you could argue on many levels and my argument back is that mankind's greed has been equal to mans ability to stir the pot of haves and have not's to the point of battle.

sorry No Sale Here!!! but have an outstanding day

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Good times

possibilities??....like feeding more people?, creating more jobs? stabilizing governments for the good of their respectve peoples? free energy? a better life for mankind?
none of the scientists have said what practical applications the discovery will bring about...the only thing i see is that scientists are keeping their well-paid jobs at taxpayer expense.

Well, you can p**s on any bonfire with that argument.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Good times

Well Suzie Sunshine, up until this point, other particles existing were just THEORY. Now we have a new one, which may or may not be the Higgs. Before one goes out trumpeting the potential glories of said new particle, it helps to study it extensively to figure out exactly what it does, why , what it's limitations are, before spouting hypothetical technologies to appease the disgruntled.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think it would be a great discovery but I do think it was rushed.

They rushed this out because of pressure. They have built this billion dollar project and they had to announce something. The thing was built with one of it's main goals: finding the Higgs Boson.

So they said they have found a boson but they will not know it's the Higgs Boson for 3-4 years. They have just appeased those who put pressure on them to find something and bought themselves time.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

And the scientifically illiterate show up. Thread derailing now.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by neoholographic

Lol....they rushed this? Some of the scientist on the team that made this discovery have been working on this project for more than 25 years.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I believe this thing is partialy to blame for.the europian dept crisis and that they sunk alot more money then they are saying. They kept barrowing more and more promising fantastic results creating a black hole of debt. They are secretly telling governments and investors.it.can be used for time travel, lightspeed travel and anti matter weapons. Watch now that they have made good on there promise to investors the.euro criss will fix.itself. aslo watch aliens land and world war 3 break out becuase 1. Aliens already have.this tech and see messing somthing up in the timeline and come to intervien. 2. Countrys like iran dont want use to have it so they try to blow up.cern.
I think alot of.events.can be.tied.togther can somestart a 2012cernww3 mega.thread.where they explain there theorys. I am a new member and cant start my own thread. I also believe the reason they missiles.at the olympics.is because.they know.aliens are.going to land there or war.is.going to break out making london a target and then the.axis will push towards.the.cern facility to.destroy it. I typed this from my phone so forgive me on the spelling and puncuation. Please i want to hear your mega thread therories that as much.topics together as you can

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The trouble with this report is that they are still choosing their words carefully so as not to tell you for sure "yes that is what we have found" or " no, that is not the case." Given that many theories later proven to be correct were originally rejected due to intellectual egotism (for instance, that the earth revolves around the sun and not vise versa, was originally purported in ancient Greece but not widely accepted until about a thousand years later when Copernicus revived the idea) and also the amount of money that goes into this line of experimentation, I am forced to be suspicious of their lack of a definite answer. What about M-Theory, a much more plausible theory with equally, if not stronger, mathematical probability? Why have these articles not made ANY mention of this theory, which has just as many theoretical physicists working on a solution as particle physics searching for the Higgs Boson? Not to mention that M-Theory also gives a mathematically sound and scientific explanation of what most ancient mythological cosmologies have been stating for millennia! If these guys can not give a definite answer on their findings, then shift the funding to developing new technologies that can explore the next theory. In science, there should be no shame in being proven wrong, for proof is the name of the game!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012zeropointeventhorizon

Lets not forget about telaportation. In ww2 it was a race to get the bomb before the nazi did. This.time its.a.race to stop the nazis,nwo,illumimati us europe from.getting anti matter weapons and time travel tech. Another reason why the.cern thing.is big new is becuase we need antimatter to power our ships.to.get to earth 2 you know where we are oginally.from where hitler.escaped to.from antartica. While.the.rest fend for themself while nibiru passes.and there.is.choas and zombies.from bioweaopons. They will load all of the.gold on t
he ships and go bye bye.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join