It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the Ultracrepidarian's of ATS Guilty of Fanfaronade or are They Cacodemonomaniac's?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I Stumbled upon this interesting article in Huffington Post that features "26 awesome words you didn't know existed". Or did you? Here are some of the featured words:

Fanfaronade:

Swaggering; empty boasting; blustering manner or behavior; ostentatious display.

Cacodemonomania:

The pathological belief that one is inhabited by an evil spirit.

Gorgonize:

To have a paralyzing or mesmerizing effect on; Stupify or Petrify.

Noegenesis:

Production of knowledge.

Ostentiferous:

Bringing omens or unnatural or supernatural manifestations.

Recumbentibus

A knockout punch, either verbal or physical.

Scripturient:

Possessing a violent desire to write.

Ultracrepidarian:

A person who gives opinions and advice on matters outside of one's knowledge.

Welter:

A confused mass; a jumble; turmoil or confusion.

What unusual and rarely used awesome words do you know? Add them here.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Very cool, and I haven't even seen all of these in the Thesaurus. I would claim a touch of fanforaonade, but only in a reactionary and emotional sense, usually followed by regret. If cacodemonomaniac includes politics, then yea I have experienced a touch of that too.

Some others I like:

Ineffable - too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words

dour - describes something sullen, gloomy, or persistent. You might look dour on your way to picking up your last check from the job you just got fired from, and people should get out of your way.

farrago - a motley assortment of things

dictum - an authoritative declaration

saturnalia - a wild gathering involving excessive drinking and promiscuity

dawdle - hang (back) or fall (behind) in movement, progress, development, etc.

inveigle - influence or urge by gentle urging, caressing, or flattering

palaver - loud and confused and empty talk

wheedle - influence or urge by gentle urging, caressing, or flattering

nisus - an effortful attempt to attain a goal

Thanks for the brain exercise material.

ETA: ultracrepidarian, yes I am guilty, but in an unknowing fashion and without ego, does that make it better?

It is usually meant in good spirits at least, but still, this is an important term, and for me ATS humble pie has made me both aware of this liability and the importance of preventing it.
edit on 3-7-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
From your OP JPZ...

Ultracrepidarian:

A person who gives opinions and advice on matters outside of one's knowledge.

A lot of them find their way to ATS....don't you think?

OK...my word to contribute

Zygophyllaceous (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) of, relating to, or belonging to the Zygophyllaceae, an Old World family of flowering plants having pinnate leaves and capsules as fruits: includes the lignum vitae

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Des

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Here's a word I've recently learned and thought it was cool.

Miasma - 1. noxious exhalations from putrescent organic matter; poisonous effluvia or germs polluting the atmosphere. 2. a dangerous, foreboding, or deathlike influence or atmosphere.

Also

machination - 1. The act of plotting. 2. A crafty scheme or cunning design for the accomplishment of a sinister end.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here at ATS the Ultracrepidarians are Scripturient in nature therefore believing they are a Recumbentibus of thought and dictum. In this dichotomy the 'believers' are taunted with such sarcastic ridicule and ad hominim that becomes a Welter of chaos so-called debate. The Cacodemonomanians are left scrutinized and scathed for such grandiose, yet paradoxically astute, claims. What was once a Neogenesis now becomes shackled to the malaise of propagating palaver among peers. Neophytes become Fanfaronade-laden with attempts to Gorganize the public eye with superflous means of secrecy. All of which to prepare the subjugating of barbarian hordes we call the human race.

Sorry i couldnt help myself lol. A little 12 monkey reference in there too.

I'm a big fan of Balderdash and Piffle, which could be irony

Nice thread! I love words

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Whatifitdidhappen

You know what's scary...that made total sense to me....

P to Q4

Des

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Read the third word of thread title and new who OP was. Fun thread! I had no idea what to expect from the title.
I was only familiar with two of those words. Neogenesis and welter.
edit on 3-7-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Jean, Ive actually had bouts or fits of this. No idea why!

Scripturient:

Possessing a violent desire to write.

I was very involved in genealogy and tracking people down. One thing you have to do in genealogy is learn almost a new completely obsolete English language if you are going through old documents or letters. I learned a neat one...

Besswarden : its a name for someone who takes care of the livestock and animals owned by the parish!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Strictly pertaining to parts of the ATS experience, I submit Kafkaesque

Kaf·ka·esque
   [kahf-kuh-esk]

adjective
of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or resembling the literary work of Franz Kafka: the Kafkaesque terror of the endless interrogations.

marked by a senseless, disorienting, often menacing complexity: Kafkaesque bureaucracies.

Edit to add: Jean Paul Zodeaux, I always enjoy your threads as you never fail to challenge the reader in new and interesting ways.

edit on 3-7-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: added content

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Oh if we are going with ATS related.... a word I have loved forever. Yes you can love a word.

Phantasmagoria characterized by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtapositions

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I'm a little smitten with that word now. Nice addition.

Here's one

macroverbumsciolist

n. one who is illiterate of large words (nonce words); one who acts and pretends as if he/she knows a word but then looks it up clandestinely in a dictionary

Link

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Advantage

I'm a little smitten with that word now. Nice addition.

Here's one

macroverbumsciolist

n. one who is illiterate of large words (nonce words); one who acts and pretends as if he/she knows a word but then looks it up clandestinely in a dictionary

Link

Well Im half that. I already knew the word, but I wanted the correct definition for the sticklers here.. so I looked that up.

Its a cool word isnt it? I even forget what the occasion was that I heard it, but it was in high school. Im old, so maybe its not often used now! I heard Ozzy on the oldies channel, so Im wondering if **I'M** archaic and obsolete now as much as the word!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Thank you for all the great additions to this vocabulary. Lord Knows what was going on in the mind of those who thought this thread should be moved from Media and Education to General Chit-Chat. It has to make you wonder what sort of general chit-chat goes on behind the scenes in this site.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
Thank you for all the great additions to this vocabulary. Lord Knows what was going on in the mind of those who thought this thread should be moved from Media and Education to General Chit-Chat. It has to make you wonder what sort of general chit-chat goes on behind the scenes in this site.

Some pretty high-brow stuff apparently.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This gorgonizing post has brought about a neogenically scripturient proclivity in this particular
ultracrepidarian. The fanfaronade of cacodemonomania present in particular forums of this site
has produced a welter of pathological neogenetical vacuous triflings by its addled membership,
each assured of their own egotistical capacity to eviscerate every antagonist with a swift
and, well-earned, recumbentibus retort...

....I think....

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

When people ask me how I'm doing. I like to say, "Lugubrious and you?" It's a great way to be honest and not have to explain oneself.

lugubrious - mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner

Nice list JPZ.

edit on 4-7-2012 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I forgot to add some unusual words....

Brillig:

early morning as the sun peeks the horizon

Slivy:

ingeniously slippery

Gyre:

an inverted pirouette while juggling

Gimble:

to dance in 3/4 time to an ACDC song

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival

This gorgonizing post has brought about a neogenically scripturient proclivity in this particular
ultracrepidarian. The fanfaronade of cacodemonomania present in particular forums of this site
has produced a welter of pathological neogenetical vacuous triflings by its addled membership,
each assured of their own egotistical capacity to eviscerate every antagonist with a swift
and, well-earned, recumbentibus retort...

....I think....

Job well done, my friend! And thank your for your contribution of cool words to add to our "off topic: general chit-chat" lexicon.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

You know what's scary...that made total sense to me....

P to Q4

Des

i was hoping it would to someone
. Now if the other 99% of the populous did...lol

I agree with JPZ it appears that the information on here is disheveled at best. Which is sad because i thought ATS would be a place we didnt have to read between the lines

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Here at ATS the Ultracrepidarians are Scripturient in nature therefore believing they are a Recumbentibus of thought and dictum. In this dichotomy the 'believers' are taunted with such sarcastic ridicule and ad hominim that becomes a Welter of chaos so-called debate. The Cacodemonomanians are left scrutinized and scathed for such grandiose, yet paradoxically astute, claims. What was once a Neogenesis now becomes shackled to the malaise of propagating palaver among peers. Neophytes become Fanfaronade-laden with attempts to Gorganize the public eye with superflous means of secrecy. All of which to prepare the subjugating of barbarian hordes we call the human race.

Somehow I missed this most excellent stringing of awesome words. Nice job, my friend.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join