It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America the greatest country?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
Late 70s was Kiss, Van Halen and ACDC who are Australians.if you were mellow it was Fleetwood mac.80s was Motley Crew ,Ted Nugent and Sammy Hagar,the eagles were all through that era I lost interest when grunge showed up there are a handful of songs I like after that.
I do give kudos to the brits for their brilliant contribution to Metal but Bowie never made it big.All music fads start in the US and everyone follows that.

Sorry but your are so wrong as all music trends do not start in the US!

Ever heard of the British invasion of the 60's? It wasn't just The Beatles! Hermans Hermits, Tom Jones, Manfred Mann, Rolling Stones, Moody Blue, The Who, The Yarbirds just to name a few.

Glam Rock - A British invention of the early 70's T Rex, David Bowie, Sweet
Punk Rock - A British invention of the late 70's - Sex Pistols, The Clash, Boomtown Rats
Electronic - A german invention ala Kraftwerk Late 70's
New Wave - A softer version of Punk Rock - A British invention of early 80's
New Romantics - British 80's Electronic Rock defined by Simple Minds, Duran Duran, Human League, Spandau Ballet, Soft Cell, The Police, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Ultravox
Euro Pop/Disco - From all round Europe in 80's - Modern Talking, Baltimora, Sandra
Irish Rock - U2, Feargal Sharkey, The Pogues, Cranberries, Dexy's Midnight Runners
Cantopop - Popular in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong
Bangra - from India - hardly an US invention.
African beats - Guess where that comes from?
Reggae - Not American

I think you will understand my point, I was a professional DJ for 20 years working live in clubs and radio and I do know my stuff when it comes to music, my friend.

By the way Bowie was never a 'Heavy Metal' artist and to say he never made it big is just pure ignorance and nonsense, he is one of the worlds major music legends!

Don't get me wrong America is responsible for some fantastic music but not everything!

edit on 18/7/12 by Hongkongphooey because: missing info

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
our country's flag has burned through western Europe saving lives, freed France, marched across southeast Asia killing innocent people in the name of glory, capitalism and stopping the spread of communism. men in suits and ties in air conditioned offices sent the young and the poor to die in a #hole for their political crusade. the majority of the western world lives under its flag. we have placed men on the moon, created the atmosphere that led to the counter culture movement of the 60's, which in turn led into modern pop culture. culture now inflated and bloated by our capitalism. we have died, marched, and paraded for this western lifestyle. for dumbass kids like me to play xbox and ps3 and take it all for granted. we helped boost and industrialize the Japanese economy after ww2. we have so much pride. after 9/11 we all held up american flags, we stood under those flags, we are a great/horrible country. we are political bullies, we police the world with nato and our troops. and to this day, post veitnam, post nixon, post ussr collapse, powerful men in suits with little american flag pins rule the free world. their agencies can break down your door, listen to your phone calls, feed you lsd and break you down mentally(mkultra). their armies are a force in the 3rd world. these men, taking away our constitutional rights little by little( police beat up and pepper sprayed peaceful protesters in my area just a little while ago, ive been called "a #ing punk" and arrested by a cop who didnt like me skating, no rights were read) these men are america. we are great, but not good. if you took a man, a generic man, and attributed all that we have done wrong as a country to him, he would be satan in flesh and blood. take another man and attribute our accomplishments to him, he would be the greatest human ever on this earth. thats what i think of this world i live in. this america i know. i have known men(uncles cousins family friends) who gave there lives, limbs, brothers, family, friends for this place. america!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
and cops can arrest us with no criminal reason, they find one. seriously family, friends, all have there dirty cop stories. the public fears them. its a real problem when i get harrassed by cops for skateboarding, being a teenager with friends. are they like that elsewhere? like rodney king wasnt that long ago

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
I'm sure a lot of Americans already know that their country is not #1 by now.. whatever #1 is.. its like kids are brainwashed to believe it. Over here across the pond we constantly moan about the state of affairs which is also negative..

Americans won't keep bending over and taking it don't worry. There are plenty of smart ones and plenty of guns.

Guns don't do well against Air Forces and drones.

That battle is over before it starts.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

The US gave us Rock N Roll - for that we'll always be grateful - and some of the original 50's artists were truly great; Eddie Cochrane, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domono are all true legends.

But after that, apart from your Soul and Blues singers you haven't really produced much that is new, original or cool.
Obviously there are great acts like The Doors, The Ramones, Iggy and The Stooges, MC5, Dead Kennedys who were all exceptions that prove the rule.

Not a great Metal fan, Iron Maiden, AC/DC are ok - both non-US - but I find it predictable, repetetive and slightly boring and certainly lacking originality.
I really liked Guns N Roses before they turned into a cabaret act, don't know if you'd categorize them as Metal - and I got to say Slash still is pretty cool.
Big fan of Motorhead but despite what some say they are definately not Metal, and they are British.

The early 70's produced three truly great and innovative artists, although they had all been around for quite some time - Iggy Pop, Bowie and Marc Bolan.
Bowie was probably the most innovative and influential of all and for a number of years was simply THE coolest person alive.

Up until then the UK had produced a literal plethora of original, supremely talented and uber cool groups and artists - The Beatles, The Stones, The Small Faces, The Who, The Kinks, The Animals, The Yardbirds etc, even Hendrix had to come over to the UK and hook up with two Brits.
Sure, as all musicians do, they took inspiration from elsewhere, predominantly Black Americans - but they all gave something new, original and invigorating and inspired millions across the world - and that inspiration spread out into every aspect of the arts and society as a whole - the epitome of cool.

I could continue in a similar vein talking about Punk and then New Wave, Northern Soul followed by the New Romantics and not forgetting the Two Tone movement and the Mod Revivalists etc - all drenched in new, original, influential and cool.
This was all followed by the coolest of cool Madchester and Cool Britiannia artists and scenes.
And what about cool personified:- Paul Weller.
But I won't.

I think the point has been proven - Brits are Kings of Cool.

But there's also been quite a few cool Americans as well.

Oh, and before I forget - genuinely don't want to insult but I really have to say this - you Americans have absolutely no style or dress sense - fashion definately is not your forte.
edit on 20/7/12 by Freeborn because: had to mention The Modfather

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
.if you were mellow it was Fleetwood mac.80s .

Fleetwood Mac. English. London 1967.

You're welcome.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

The British didn't contribute to Heavy Metal. We invented it. Black Sabbath the first Metal Band circa Birmingham UK 1969:-

en.wikipedia.org...

David Bowie was a MEGASTAR during the 1980's :-

en.wikipedia.org...

People think popular music only began in the 1950's American country music was influenced by British and Irish folk music that came to the US:-

en.wikipedia.org...

In the 1930's British Dance Band Music was the biggest influence in the US. It was the real "Golden Age" of British music:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This should suffice, in putting things into perspective

www.youtube.com...

I know its only a TV show but the facts are true!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join