It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America the greatest country?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
EVERY nation has the potential to be the greatest nation on our planet.

Current civilised human beings have SO MUCH potential for greatness, bounded by love for each other.

Only the corrupt, the greedy, the hatefilled, and the power mongers spoils it all...

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You are using wikipedia.Second,david Stannard's conclusion was USA was responsible for 30 million. 1.85 million is too low and I have quoted sources.

and this is from your own source:

Despite the lack of precise data on the Native American population in 1492,

Hmm.Lack of or American govt wants to hide the scale of mass murder.

and more from your wikipedia source:

Most scholars writing at the end of the 19th century estimated the pre-Columbian population at about 10 million; by the end of the 20th century the scholarly consensus had shifted to about 50 million, with some arguing for 100 million or more.

Also your sources are propaganda:
Here:

"By conservative estimates, the population of the United states prior to European contact was greater than 12 million. Four centuries later, the count was reduced by 95% to 237 thousand.
www.iearn.org...

By conservative estimates.... If greater estimates are considering then 50 million.
Credits: Sharon Johnston, The Genocide of Native Americans: A Sociological View, 1996

Also ,look at what native americans say,how can you snakes be trusted?
www.nemasys.com...

edit on 5-7-2012 by mkgandhas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

america invented progressive

You were being sarcastic there weren't you?

reply to post by mkgandhas

america is one of the biggest mass murderers in history after the british empire so like USA is the greatest evil the world has seen.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll give you one thing; you are most persistent in peddling your bigotted hatred.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Counting the death of millions as a guide to a nation's worth or infamy?

Let's go back right to the day of creation of mankind and start the count from there. Then it would be based upon facts.

Thing is, mankind are flawed, and will only make mistakes. What is critical is that it halts, look back, acknowledges its error, so that it may correct those mistakes, improve and progress.

Most democracies are able to do that.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for dictatorships, tyrannies and authoritarian regimes from history right up till even in this enlightend day and age.

In wars, humans die, thus wars that are supported by societies and the world at large must be the very last option, when all means to negotiations and compromises are exhausted. It is the ones who created such conditions be blamed, for a brother to fight another. Humans are rational beings, capable of reason. Only wild beings have no capacity for discussions. Death of the other is their only way to live.

It is not how many humans a leader kills that makes him an animal in peacetime. It is what is done to him that counts more, the justice he must alone face and atone for his crime. EVERY human life is precious and means something special to another. The HumanSlayer Assad and his supporters are good examples - he still walks free while thousands of innocent men, women and children were slaughtered under his commands

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Okay... so you hate france, and THAT makes America great?
Still don't get your logic there.
Still find your judgements ignorant and arrogant.

You are in a different country, you cannot understand what is going on and you have different habits, and so you judge it as bad.

I am american, and all this once seemed to be without structure, reason or rational values.
I learned otherwise and I learned a different way of living, in which all this made sense.
I foudn out that as an american, I had become socially handicapped. In the focus upon my development of individuality I had lost much ability to adapt to and interact with my environment.

Luckily I was able to learn and develop those things after living here for long enough.

But anyway. The greatness of America is not determined by how polite the french are according to American values.
edit on 5-7-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Most of the population decline of indigenous inhabitants came prior to British and American colonization, a consequence of infectious disease introduced by Spanish & Portugese colonization.

Of course, neither native nor colonizer knew anything about the true origin of disease at the time.

The fact that natives died from illnesses which white colonizers caught but recovered from was conveniently taken as evidence that the Spanish god was more powerful than the native's god.

Had the facts of biology had been different the early United States would have faced a much larger and more powerful indigenous population and more likely would have needed accomodation.
edit on 5-7-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by Bluesma

Actually...I will tell you the TRUTH behind my dislike of French Attitudes....I Travel...a LOT. I am very well versed in the cultural differences between France and the U.S. and I think that France has brought Cooking to an ART FORM. But here is where my issues lye.

I am at a outdoor Cafe after thinking I am going to die at 60 mph going around in a circle with a Thousand other drivers around a famous French piece of Arcitectural Design. There are NO LANES and these cars are too small for my body. Everyone is OUT OF THEIR MINDS! This makes N.Y. City look like a drive in the country.

I get dropped off at this Cafe and have 45 Minutes before a Meeting across the street. I know waiters in France are paid with a TIP BUILT IN TO THE CHARGE...so there fore there is NO INCENTIVE for anyone to HUSTLE or do a better job than the other waiter so SERVICE SUCKS an the attitude is so bad that I just want to give them a good SMACK!

In the U.S...the Customer is ALWAYS RIGHT! In France...The Customer should feel HONORED that they were able to get anyone to take their order. IT PISSES ME OFF! BAD MANNERS...and they feel that they are entitled for things that they have not earned. THAT is the issue I have with the French. That and they HATE ANYONE OR ANYTHING NOT FRENCH LIVING IN FRANCE! And they have no compassion about this...not Police...Not Politicians....Not even the CHURCH! They are the most BIGOTED people I have ever experienced.
Split Infinity

With respect, perhaps it is not their attitude that sucks. Perhaps your experience is a mirrored reflection of your own feelings.

I remember a lot of French from childhood and school. In bistros, I would place my order entirely in French. I'll never forget the beaming smile of the lady who listened and understood exactly what I ordered. I've lived in and traveled to many countries and learned that people are people. To echo what many have already said, people generally treat you the way you treat them no matter where on the planet you happen to be. I have struck up many a conversation with Parisians and they've always been friendly.

I've encountered my fair share of rude people from other countries. All of us are probably rude from time to time. Most of us try to be kind and polite most of the time. Some of us are just plain rude most of the time. And I would think that these "types" of people are probably more or less equally distributed around the globe. Just be nice to people and avoid those making a ruckus and you'll have a great time.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

He is right. We once were the greatest country in the world just as many other countries once were.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by SplitInfinity

The following where invented by:-

Radio Guglieimo Marconi Italian/British

TV John Logie Baird Scottish

Telephone Alexander Graham Bell Scottish

Electric Light Bulb Humphrey Davy English

There are some on going battles about who developed this or that first. Reguardless of this just in the same way that Werner von Braum was at one time German and became a U.S. Citizen...von Braum himself had said MANY TIMES that if it was not for American Robert Goddard....who Werner von Braum considered the Father of Modern Rocketry and before anyone say's it...YES...I am well aware of China being CENTURIES in advancement to anyone else as far as Rockets are concerned....but my point is...no matter what their ORIGINAL COUNTRY OF ORIGIN was...or if or if not they were the first to discover it...IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE AMERICANS THAT PUT IT TO USE EITHER COMMERCIALLY OR MILITARILY.

Why do you think more German Scientists headed WEST when it became apparent that the Nazi's would fall? It was because the option of becoming an American Citizen held more appeal.

The United States may have it's faults but welcoming a person from another country who had something to contribute ...the U.S. has this welcome mat design down to an ART FORM! Some of you may know what my Third Job is...others may not...I believe the U.S. has become Morally Weak from a standpoint that has nothing to do with RELIGION. But MAKE NO MISTAKE....taking everything into consideration...and I am not a False Flag Waving IDIOT!....the United States is by FAR...the last best hope for Mankind on Planet Earth. Many of you will see this with your own eyes...not too long from now. Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DonaldD

You have the wrong view of me. I am not a person that hates people who are FRENCH. I have French Canadians in my direct family. Some of the things done and perfected by the French are some of the Great Artistic Creations of Mankind as well as their Culinary Mastering alone.

I am neither rude nor am I an Ugly American. I do however have a very Firm...Unbending...Specific Understanding of Fairness...What I consider to be Rude without reason...and what I cannot stand...a person who believes that they have a Greater Right to Experiences as well as their belief in the concept of a Feudal Type System...and attempt to discourage others from enjoying the same rights as they do.

I am WEALTH...but I do not dress it nor do I advertise it. I am Highly Intelligent...on an obscene scale to even a person who believes themselves smart...yet besides this board...I do not mention it. I can speak, read and write several languages...yet...I speak English in Americana Accent when not on a Job overseas. This is for my own observations of peoples reactions. I am VERY LONG HAIRED...to a point that I must have it weaved for a large sum of money to go on a Job. I cannot have my hair length become a form of handle for anyone in a close fight.

Because of this hair length...as well as my Body which if you have ever been overseas...6 ft. I inch...may not be tall or big in the U.S. but in most other Non-Nordic Countries...I am a Giant. My Muscle Structure alone makes me 2 to 3 times as thick as the average Non-Nordic or Non-German European.

I LISTEN...and this is on my spare time. I do not TOLERATE RUDENESS WITHOUT PURPOSE...and have a hard time holding back when I see this done...and right now it is very specific to how the French are treating Immigrant Travelers from once Soviet Controlled Baltic Regions as well as Muslims from the former Yugoslavia.

I KNOW...treatment like this would never occur in most of the United States where people tend to be ready to lend a helping hand and what I have seen occurring in France as well as how the French Police as well as Politicians are dealing with this issue is BEYOND APPALLING!

It is not that I do not like the French People...I just do not like where they are headed. I once refused to speak to a French Police Officer...and this is of late...and pretended not to understand what he was saying to me although I did nothing violent in action...and listened to him assume I was what he called a Dirty Muslim Slav who was probably living in the Giant Tent Towns that have sprung up. He pushed me once with a Baton...the second time was in my back and I put him down hard and pulled out my identity.

So...UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN THERE...and know firsthand what is going on...you are talking out your ASS! I know that the Police in my country have a much greater respect for Immigrants since they all came from an immigrant family at one point. What is happening in France makes me SAD...for the FRENCH. They have become what they FEAR THE MOST. They have become like those who ruled them with an IRON FIST 62 Years Ago! It sickens the heart. Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

reply to post by DonaldD

You have the wrong view of me.
You want people to disregard what they see in you in exchange to read your mind and see what your delusions tell you. Not.

I am neither rude nor am I an Ugly American.
To good looking intelligent people you may be considered as such.

I am WEALTH...but I do not dress it nor do I advertise it. I am Highly Intelligent...on an obscene scale to even a person who believes themselves smart
I am rich too, I bought my first Porsche when I was 21 and never knew what it was like to hurt for money. But for one to claim they are 'highly intelligence' has just proven that he isnt.

Because of this hair length...as well as my Body which if you have ever been overseas...6 ft. I inch...may not be tall or big in the U.S. but in most other Non-Nordic Countries...I am a Giant. My Muscle Structure alone makes me 2 to 3 times as thick as the average Non-Nordic or Non-German European.
You are quite small to me ,my friends and family no matter what country you are in. Quite average. If you are a giant than I am a God. And having long hair in most countries and in the beliefs of many is that long hair is a sign of poor hygiene, laziness and disregard of personal grooming.

It is not that I do not like the French People...I just do not like where they are headed. I once refused to speak to a French Police Officer..

Weaker minds find dislike or competition is skin colour, race, country, sports teams and in your case language . You are a thousand years behind modern advanced men like myself.

edit on 7-7-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

S.H....I LIKE YOU! LOL! But I believe I like even better the inevitable conclusion on comes to by continuing your Names Abbreviational Lettering! LOL!

A GOD! WOW! Should we all get down on our Knees...or do you prefer just all of us to just send in a check?

I will tell you this...I like reading your posts. They put a smile on my face! LOL!
Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

S.H....I LIKE YOU! LOL! But I believe I like even better the inevitable conclusion on comes to by continuing your Names Abbreviational Lettering! LOL!

A GOD! WOW! Should we all get down on our Knees...or do you prefer just all of us to just send in a check?

I will tell you this...I like reading your posts. They put a smile on my face! LOL!
Split Infinity

Send a cheque if you dont believe in me.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

Split Infinity

Send a cheque if you dont believe in me.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

Ahhh...S.H...You have just shown me your TELL! And to TOP IT OFF....your specific...almost ALWAYS...avoided or unused in the U.S. except by a very small minority. Unless outside the U.S. as example...
In American English, the word for the piece of paper representing a specified amount of money is check—for example:

He later received a check for 100 pounds from John Lennon in reimbursement. [Miami Herald]

So he wrote a check for $20,000 and returned to his life in New York. [New York Times]

Outside the U.S., it’s cheque—for example:

If an organisation is open and keen to invite a client to engage beyond their cheque book, a relationship of trust is developed. [Guardian]

The charges relate to the use of a bank card and cheque book over an eight-year period. [New Zealand Herald]

And throughout the English-speaking world, check is used for all senses of the word unrelated to banking—for example:

On Monday an 88-year-old Chifley resident was targeted by a man claiming he was there to check the sewerage. [The Canberra Times]

But when she tried to check in with US Airways, the airline demanded a further $60 to check in her bags. [Telegraph]

It seems he wants to keep his bravado in check … [Toronto Star]

It seems the last quote applies to you! LOL! Unsucessful...but true! LOL! Split Infinity....ps....I would suggest you never play a game of POKER or CHESS with me! LOL! You would find that I do not accept CHECKS!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

reply to post by DonaldD

[...] I am Highly Intelligent...on an obscene scale to even a person who believes themselves smart...

And french are the arrogant ones, how funny (let's not stop on the part where you talk about you being wealthy, fit and with omg-my-so-awesome-hair).

French are treating Immigrant Travelers from once Soviet Controlled Baltic Regions as well as Muslims from the former Yugoslavia

Are we going to talk about how you treat mexicans, because last time I checked you had fences and video-cams covering the whole border and armed US "vigilants" going wild in these areas ? About how on this very forum you can see american "patriots" ranting about arabs/muslims ? Do you know how hard it is to be an American citizen compared to how it is to become french ? When was the last time you heard about an immigrant dying close to France's borders without receiving help ?

Like every country France tries to control the flow of immigration coming through the borders but it's far from being as harsh as you depict it.

Even the far right there is less violent that the center-right in the USA, I mean, their main selling points are : controling the immgration and to reinstate the death penalty (this I am not so sure since Jean Marie Le Pen stepped out of the far right party), two things that america does already. What does that tells you ?
The last time the government killed someone was 35 years ago (the guy tried to sell his mistress as a prostitute and after spending a few month in prison came back to torture her, rape her and then kill her).

I KNOW...treatment like this would never occur in most of the United States where people tend to be ready to lend a helping hand and what I have seen occurring in France as well as how the French Police as well as Politicians are dealing with this issue is BEYOND APPALLING!

Just like how people lend a helping hand to Ronald Poppo who had his face bitten appart in broad daylight ? You'll have to back up your claims with facts or/and sources because right now you're not telling us how the police/government (and don't get me wrong, I think that a whole bunch of them aren't doing their work properly, but same goes for the US, Germany, England, Italy, Spain, Canada and the list goes on) are dealing in a way that could appeal to you.

It is not that I do not like the French People...I just do not like where they are headed. I once refused to speak to a French Police Officer...and this is of late...and pretended not to understand what he was saying to me although I did nothing violent in action...and listened to him assume I was what he called a Dirty Muslim Slav who was probably living in the Giant Tent Towns that have sprung up. He pushed me once with a Baton...the second time was in my back and I put him down hard and pulled out my identity.

"Un sale esclave musulman qui vit probablement dans les Villes de Tentes Géantes qui ont poussé" ? Wtf is that about ? Never heard of any giant tent towns and I'd have loved to be here to see the whole thing because this doesn't make any sense, from the blatant racist rant that you "assumed you heard" (do you speak French anyway ?) to the whole pushing without any reasons (why would he ask for you name ?)

Now picture me going in America (which I did, not that I'm as smart or wealthy as you but hey, sometime you've got to see the wonders with your own eyes), getting my name asked by a policeman, not responding and then, after getting pushed, putting him down. How do you think it'll end up ? Do I have to look up for a video on Youtube to show you what would happen, because there is plenty of them.

So...UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN THERE...and know firsthand what is going on...you are talking out your ASS! I know that the Police in my country have a much greater respect for Immigrants since they all came from an immigrant family at one point. What is happening in France makes me SAD...for the FRENCH. They have become what they FEAR THE MOST. They have become like those who ruled them with an IRON FIST 62 Years Ago! It sickens the heart. Split Infinity

So yeah, let's use capital letters to sound more convincing : I'M FROM THERE.

And what I can tell from your story is that you had a hard time driving in Paris, something I can relate to seing how it is poorly organised (but here you've got to understand that Paris is a 900 years old lady) and how most cities in the US were made using geometric architecture : you're not used to it. Then you went to a cafe where the waiter wasn't nice to you (a problem I had almost everywhere around the world and I travelled quite a bit) and you had problems with a policeman because you wouldn't answer him.
Then I assume that back in the US you read some papers about french far right party and thus decided that France = NOPE (except cooking, how funny).

But tell me what's happening in my own country and by which means we are going the same path the nazis did ? I'm not saying that the country is perfect, that our police is the best or that our waiters are always smiling but what you're describing sounds like nothing but your imagination running wild while you're trying to explain an irrational feel. You don't like France, so be it, eat your freedom fries and I'll go on with my life but what you're doing here is nothing but using exagerations/inventions, I could do the same with the USA.
edit on 11-7-2012 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbyTarass

Then explain THIS!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Truth HURTS doesn't it? You live in FRANCE and don't know about this? HUH! Everyone else seems to know!

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbyTarass

You know...there is a Man who looks just like you being placed in a painful hold as he is Crying and being led away from his now BULLDOZED HOME!

You talked to me in a disrespectful way and what is worse is that what I posted were FACTS! They were not words of some...by your warped standard...IGNORANT or Racist American. I have been around the block MANY TIMES and when I use the word BLOCK...I mean THE WORLD.

You...on the other hand...make disparaging statements about my POSTS THAT ARE THE REALITY OF WHAT WENT AND CONTINUES TO GO ON IN FRANCE. Yet you don't even know what is going on in your own stated Country or Origin.

I could not say anything greater to make you look as RIDICULOUS as you have done to yourself!

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
it is still #1

and the fact that people have to make so many threads tryin to say its not
proves that it still is

I was reading this thread SOLEY for the purpose of trying to find at least one of YOU!

You are priceless. Thank you!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yes, to us it is.That is how we feel. If you don't have that for your own people how sad is your origin? People who aren't from here don't like it very much,and that is their opinion.They are allowed to have it and express it here,some people want to kill for that. All are of course free to leave if they wish.
We're no angels and leadership stopped doing our will some time ago.But the people kick a##.Greatest country on Earth, geographicaly wonderful,People from everywhere and we own cool.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

......and we own cool.

Cool is by defenition British.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join