It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most underated musician of all time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hi there "Nine Inch Nails" whooo hooooow

nice to see someone here apreciates the finer things in life

I think Trent Reznor and his Nine Inch Nails are one of the most underated
on this list amongst others e.g. pink floyd

Is my avatar a big give away?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Q. What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A. A drummer.

I shout out to Gene Krupa, Keith Moon, Steve Morris, Jeffrey Wegener and Meg White.

(j/k about Meg).

lmao.. that was funny... OMFG
On the topic of drummers I would also like to add Michael "Nico" McBrain from Iron Maiden, the iced earth drummer, drummer from Nightwish, Blind Guardian drummer, Dire Straits drummer, Gamma Ray drummer, Helloween drummer etc...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
Hi there "Nine Inch Nails" whooo hooooow

nice to see someone here apreciates the finer things in life

I think Trent Reznor and his Nine Inch Nails are one of the most underated
on this list amongst others e.g. pink floyd

Is my avatar a big give away?

greetings fellow wretched one,
i said "hello" to a "Mr.Self Destruct" in the introductions thread, the other day. so, "we are not alone" as they say here. (sorry for the campy pun. i couldnt resist)
do you post on any of the NIN forums off nin.com?-j; )

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I used to post in the old NiN fourm
before the new site

and I used to post on the burning souls fourm as
NiNAbsinthe

Do you read The Meathead Perspective?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
I used to post in the old NiN fourm
before the new site

and I used to post on the burning souls fourm as
NiNAbsinthe

Do you read The Meathead Perspective?

burning souls? i'm "long black veil"[dont you laugh!
] there. great site.
The Meathead Perspective? im not aware of it. post a link, if you would, please? -j; )

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Theres so many who dont have the recognition they deserve, e.g

The Pixies
Beck
Fantomas
Earthtone9 (now gone
)
The Dillinger Escape Plane
The Super Furry Aniamls

Download songs from any 2 bands and you will agree they are unique and creative, even if it's not your kind of thing. they are al different and excellent in their own way.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
www.theninhotline.net...

its updated quite offen and is very funny

(poaking fun at Trent at every chance)

chk the archives for all the ones youve mist.

and the source site www.theninhotline.net...
has all the latest NINnews

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
The Pixies
Beck
Fantomas
Earthtone9 (now gone
)
The Super Furry Aniamls

I agree with that list, they're all very under-rated, although next to The Pixies you should've put ( wish they were still gone
). I wish they just left the legend rather than coming back and embarrassing themselves by supporting The Stereophonics. What an insult.

Did you hear the last Beck album? I actually only got it recently, it just gets better with every listen it's fantastic.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
His first album, Pretty Hate Machine, was about some chick from college. Broken was about his legal problems with TVT and how Steve Gottlieb is a complete tool. The Downward Spiral was about decaying animals, with occasional references to that chick from college. The Fragile was about something or other, with occasional references to that chick from college.

lmao. things get a little vague about "The Fragile"(that chick from college referance)
hahaha. good one!-j; )

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Nick Drake is amazing.

The most under-rated musician of all time.

Listen to any of his tracks, you will know why.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The most underated musician ever is Motown bassist James Jamerson and I'll tell you why. He played on more #1 hits that The Beatles, The Beach boys and Elvis combined, but I'm willing to bet none of you have ever heard of him. If you need further convincing just listen to the basslines on "I Was Made to Love Her" by Stevie Wonder or "Bernadette" by the Four Tops and imagine trying to play it and then try to imagine playing it with just your index finger which is how he played. He was responsible for the paradigm shift in basslines and how they would sound in the coming decades. James Jamerson is without a doubt The most underated musician of all time.

Here is a list of songs he played on www.bassland.net...

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

I agree with that list, they're all very under-rated, although next to The Pixies you should've put ( wish they were still gone
). I wish they just left the legend rather than coming back and embarrassing themselves by supporting The Stereophonics. What an insult.

Did you hear the last Beck album? I actually only got it recently, it just gets better with every listen it's fantastic.

Sterephonics = Mistake agreed, but in the last interview I read there were Strong hints about a new album. NOw you can't deny THAT would be fantastic!

I haven't heard the new Beck Album, shame on me, I'll have to download a track and check it out. I hope it's not like Midnite Vultures. That was good, but I didn't think it was anything compared to the others.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Scat: My nephew has a small collection of Peanuts videos, one in which the gang embark on an exhilarating river rafting race, and one in which Charlie Brown wishes that Snoopy would come home. The music on both is excellent. I�ve no idea whether or not it is the same composer as the one you have mentioned, but I can certainly recommend any Peanuts video to anyone who cares to hear good music.

Mookie, I�m glad you�ve mentioned The Funk Brothers. They are a group of musicians who are truly under-rated, and anyone wishing to see their sad story should search for the film �Standing in the Shadow of Motown�.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Sterephonics = Mistake agreed, but in the last interview I read there were Strong hints about a new album. NOw you can't deny THAT would be fantastic!

I don't know, would it be the same now?

Plus, it's not worth all them annoying people that come out of the woodwork all of a sudden going "Oh yeah, I've always been a pixies fan" lol, I know it shouldn't annoy me but it does.

I haven't heard the new Beck Album, shame on me, I'll have to download a track and check it out. I hope it's not like Midnite Vultures. That was good, but I didn't think it was anything compared to the others.

The last album knocked me on my a$$ it was that good, like you I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. I recommend.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I downloaded 2 tracks from Becks new album (I'm pretty sure he's fine with it

) and I AM IMPRESSED!

I'll definately be purchasing that CD next....it sounds like MUtations but with a more funky, upbeat vibe. Class

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

it sounds like MUtations but with a more funky, upbeat vibe. Class

Yeah that's what I thought for a few of them, if it's similiar to any of his albums it's that one. If you're going to download anymore get Sunday Sun, that was the 'clincher' for me.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

Yeah that's what I thought for a few of them, if it's similiar to any of his albums it's that one. If you're going to download anymore get Sunday Sun, that was the 'clincher' for me.

Cool, will do. Paper Tiger is fantastic as well, and Golden Sun. Very Impressed indeed, I'm glad he's still "evolving" he's never been someone who keeps to the same formula, he's just too full of ideas. Thats what makes him great I guess.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

The Pixies
Beck
Fantomas
Earthtone9 (now gone
)
The Super Furry Aniamls

How is Beck underated? I heard one of their songs a couple years ago and I didn't like it. FYI it came free with Windows 98. If you open Media Player, Beck is actually one of the sample songs that Media Player comes with.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Alan Parsons

Ever heard the album "Goudi"? Excellent

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
OK, I might as well get my two bits in on this topic. Has anyone ever heard of Dan Bern? Well, if anyone can wear the mantle handed down by Woody Guthrie to Bob Dylan (and then on to Bruce Springsteen) then the musician most worthy of assuming the throne of "folk rock hero" it has to be DAN BERN. Touring the US, Canada, Britain, France and Italy, Dan and his band, The International Jewish Banking Conspiracy, Dan has received international critical acclaim. But, of course, it's difficult to describe music -- and especially Dan's music -- in a blog. The best way to describe music is by listening to it. Check out Dan's music and, for god's sake, don't limit yourself to one or two songs. You have to listen to several songs to grasp the range of topics and musical stylings to catch the flavor of Dan's work.
I recommend "King of the World", "God said No", "Tiger Wood", "Lightning Jazz" and "Swoosh".

Incidentally, Dan often tours with Ani DiFranco who also happens to produce his work on her independent label. Give him a listen, I'm sure that you will be pleasantly surprised.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join