It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you become compassion fatigued?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I think I have. EVEN THOUGH I'm one of those people who think all factory farms should be < if I say it, I'll get on some 'list') And the guys who club baby fur seals should all be < if I say it, I'll probably be put on the DHS list) and I'm a cat parent, and I just hate injustice, poverty, and the suffering of the innocents at the hands of socio humans, and I could go on and on. And on and on and on and on.

I used to sign those petitions to save the this and that. I see a socialnetwork acquaintence has gotten sucked into, by someone, trying to save the this and that, with petitions, sharing them. Those things are guilt causing too, ain't they.

Guess what my email has gotten --spammed-- with, ever since I signed a petition way back when? G** d***** spam, I hate spam.

A few years back, I made myself view vids and stories of 'cruelty' posted here, and I will regrett it forever, because I got some kind of traumatic disorder from it. I'm no dummy, I don't need to be shown films and stories of what evil humans can machinate. I got a good sense of it. And I wish I dodn't.

Look. I live on a below-poverty income with disabilities. I am NOT going to spring up and join Occupy, while on my way to Bohemian Grove, while on my way to then save a whale. Or dolphin. I WISH I WAS A SUPER HERO AND COULD THO.

And now, everything is being attributed to zombies. ? Zombies are those dancers from Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' routine. Can we keep them there?

Anyone feeling my pain? (In addition to the rest of the entire globe's pain [otherwise shame...on you] and your own pain,)

I've had it.
edit on 29-6-2012 by Saucerwench because: edit

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
So you are asking us if we have got tired because of all the compassion we have shown the Whales ect?
Well no I have not but I have been before and thought "screw the whales" but after a while my compassion has come back.
Yeah just be a little evil for a while, get that guilty feeling and become good again
works for me yin and yang, light side and dark side, we all have to be a little of both to feel human

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I am all for everyone in the world trying to help our marine earthmates. All for it.

I'm talking about guilt and soliciting being directed (and even spammed) toward the least powerfull to be effective, such as myself, rather than the reptilians < my term, okay) who are either able to do real help, or are causing the distress.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I too, have been out of compassion (sort of) for some time now....
The world situation is far from promising any kind of "peace| for anybody."
Whether rich or poor old or young, or middle aged.....every class and type of people, every race, has all kinds of difficulties facing them, which COULD be OVERCOME if they were UNITED.
There is something inside me that would join such a union with abandon, should it ever be started ......
But sadly, the opportunity for unity keeps getting trampled in a rush of self serving greed.
Even the bible says there will come a time when it will be better to just keep yer head down, and say nothing, just await the second comming.........
Tho the whales and the foxes, the seals and the eagles need saving......the kids in Africa and other places need shoes and books and most of all decent cheap , water, food, and medicine.......
I personally am vastly overwhelmed by it all.......
I see that the probems man kind is facing are more than monumental.
I know that NONE of them can be solved by any unilateral action by any one nation or company or church or goverment,will not be a drop in a bucket to the misery that floods the earth........
What to do?
I think this condition is basically a permanent bane to the sensibility of anyone.....we all have this wearness when confronted with others misery......first we are glad its not us, then we feel guilt for thinking that, and we overcompensate by going too far in the compassion department, to find we are not possessed of an unlimited supply,when we run low......and get weary....
Balance
equiibrium is hard to maintain.
"The poor, you will always have with you." runs through my mind at times....these words, are deeper in wisdom than first reading allows.....no im not a bible puncher.....
It is a poor prognosis for mankind ......but also, when accepted deep down, brings a new knowledge of what transpires in this existence.....an understanding .....
Theres a guy on ATS who signs off with a statement thanking the fates or whatever for putting various A holes in his path to teach him patience and forbearance......
The multitudinous demands for our compassion also perform a similar function......
Dont get down because ou run low of it....just realise that you are one seven billionth of the situation.....
use what compassion you do have in your own immediate life and aquaintances.....look for the opportunities to make contributions that will count, not ones that you are incapable of handling,
It is enough that you feel the weight of the planets misery and suffering.....if you are not Bill Gates or George Soros, its likely you cannot make a helluvan impact on the international scene....(even THEY are very limited as to what they CAN accomplish on a world scale...)
So...it becomes our nessessity to practice an educated detachment to the things which we cannot possibly alter personally.....(I you feel to donate do so, but dont expect results) all we can do is to treat others as cosely to the way we ourselves want to be treated.....and hope they are sensitive enough to pick that up and return the respect.....
You give what you have to give,... and keep what you need to survive.... because it is also true that YOU are YOUR OWN best FRIEND.
Why should you treat yourself any worse than that...?
Of COURSE we are always going to feel some guilt because we will aways know there are those whose lives are far worse off that our own.....Knowing this, it is imperative that we do not blame ourselves for it.........this brings a heavy guilt leaden feeling which saps the body and the mind.....it does nobody any good, and adds to the total negativity.
If everyone just trys to be a good samaritan in their own bailiwick, it is enough.....in fact it would turn the tide.........................

edit on 29-6-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I think you and me are merely -overwhelmed- . I am frustrated, due to my poverty. I am the least powerfull being there is, next to small children and domestic animals. I am not putting myself down, however, I am a realist. Someone made a discussion about a marine mammal which was stuck in a situation which situation was the result of larger (deliberate?) effups by the PowersThatBe. And I made a snark which was sarcasm directed toward the trendy autodefault silly villain/infliction. But I got terribly misunderstood piled on as the villain/infliction, and almost decided not to post anymore. (So my nature is to now stand up for (or explain) myself because I never used to.)
It is greatly frustrating to see society look toward micro symptoms rather then the macro cause'rs. And when you do that, you go down the rabbit hole through the looking glass, and see that matrix controlers outside our skinny band of visible light, don't want you to see where the ultimate problems come from. Just think how fast society could change toward goodlyness if the sick and poor.......weren't!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Believe it, or not, everyone has the same feelings if they are not psychotic or malformed by abuse.
Just know that there is something of this feeling in most good people.
More often than not, you can contact this person on that level when you know them.....Strangers are a gamble, so play within your limits....
If you dont pla with more than you can afford to lose, you will have a smoother emotional ride.....it will leave you better able to judge and to impart what you have to the places where it wil have the most effect.....look for such opportunities and dont sweat the rest......
They are not your responsibility, and there is enough to do for YOU persnally within your own circles.
Can the king stop the tide?
How then could you hope to?
Can you make a differtence in somebodies life....?
Yes you can...........choose your opportunities for input wisely...........i hope this doesnt sound too "preachy.."...
edit on 29-6-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Great reply, not preachy at all. Thank you so much.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

And the guys who club baby fur seals

now there you go, thats a novel idea. Save a Seal, club a human

people in the middle east should be able to kill off their brothers without interference from the USA, right?

WRONG!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

a short film by Adam Curtis on "oh dearism", an explanation for compassion fatigue.

Everyone knows that television news can be boring, that’s because it’s often about politics which can be very dull…But these days there’s another problem with watching the news. Night after night we are shown terrible things which we feel we can do nothing about. Images of civil wars, massacres and starving children which leave us feeling helpless and depressed and to which the only response is: “Oh dear.” There is a name for this. It’s called “oh-dearism” and this is the story of the rise of oh dearism in television news.

pulsemedia.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Amazing vid, Woodward, I never heard of "oh dearism" while making a thread about precisely that. In regards to the African dictator who took the Live Aid money: We can now all see via the internet, that these global hells which stay the same and always do the same things, always have the same results, are orchestrated or allowed by those who are now setting their "rebels" loose in Syria. I call it the global lockdown. The very same forces which squash Nikola Tesla and allow Einstein to make the atom bomb. My own belief, is the forces are hinted about by powerfull men in history, with fear and discretion. They operate just outside our skinny band of visible light, as I say.
I was in a bad upset mood when I made this thread, due to some specific personal occurrence, but I'm not of lesser compassion than before, I'm frustrated. Oh dear.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
OP, as something of an aspiring amateur physician of sorts, I'm going to make the following suggestion.

For a period of three days, consume, as an evening meal, a large deep dish Meatlovers' pizza; washed down with a third of a bottle of eight year aged Wild Turkey, either straight or with Coke. Visual entertainment during said three day period should include at least the first, and possibly the second games in the Max Payne trilogy; with a musical accompaniment of Nine Inch Nails, Rob Zombie, or similar. If you have a significant other, request fellatio at least once during this period, as well.

I'm predicting that after that course of treatment, you'll feel right as rain; and signing the e-petitions, being a cat parent, and sobbing into your pillow at night about the plight of the baby seals will once again come naturally.

Repeat as necessary, although not too often. Your liver and cardiovascular system will need some respite in the interval.
edit on 2-7-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

The pizza, booze, and rock and roll sound good. But I'm an older girlie with diabetes, I can't have alchohol or my feet become like balloons. And I have been searching the world (well my local world) for pizza like they used to know how to make 40 years ago. This stuff thats made now, with it's tomato paste sauce and white wonder bread dough and cheese substitute, has me wondering if such is part of the NWO's depopulation plans.

Remembering pizza pre 1980 makes me just about cry into my pillow at night.
edit on 3-7-2012 by Saucerwench because: edit to ad

new topics

top topics

join