It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are TV antennas a viable option?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ok, I've heard a few people talk about TV Antennas lately. Some say the reception is good, some say no. I don't watch much TV anymore. If I want to watch a show I watch it on line. But I do miss a good channel surf once in while. So, tell me about your personal experiences with it or a friends. I just whanna know if it would be worth it for me to get one. I'm in Eastern Ontario. Thanks in advance.
edit on 28-6-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I thought they stopped broadcasting TV? Oh your in Canada never mind.
edit on 28-6-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If you get a really good digital antennae you can watch adds in glorious HD .

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
Ok, I've heard a few people talk about TV Antennas lately. Some say the reception is good, some say no. I don't watch much TV anymore. If I want to watch a show I watch it on line. But I do miss a good channel surf once in while. So, tell me about your personal experiences with it or a friends. I just whanna know if it would be worth it for me to get one. I'm in Eastern Ontario. Thanks in advance.
edit on 28-6-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

Antennas are only as good as the time/money you put into them. Growing up, we lived in the country and did not have access to cable lines for tv... (this was when satellites were the size of an RV and took up A LOT of space in the yard). We had amazing reception and picked up stations from as far as 120 miles away. However, we had an antenna mounted to an antenna tower approximately 100 feet tall. Thankfully we only had to change it once and had to hire tree trimmers to do it because they were the only ones with a bucket that would go high enough.

On the flip side, if you just buy a crappy antenna from a department store, plug it into your tv and hope for the best, don't expect too much. Also, with everything digital now, if the reception is weak, the show will freeze for lack of signal.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Canada went through the digital transition as well, i believe that certain areas might still get the analog signals though.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) set August 31, 2011, as the date for Canada's transition to over-the-air digital television in major markets and on certain channels in other areas. Some stations switched before this date. Source

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) determined that the transition was required in major markets and on certain channels in other areas. Source

Here is the map to see if your location has digital/analog signals... Map

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

I thought they stopped broadcasting TV? Oh your in Canada never mind.
edit on 28-6-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

No.... They still send out signals for antennas....They just switched from an analog signal to a digital signal...

That said, the interference you get is a pain... Rather than just having a slightly snowy picture, you are dealing with with the picture becoming pixilated and the audio getting choppy.

So I preferred analog for antenna, personally. But, I have a dish now anyway

So, make of that what you will.

Vote TRUTH_2012 for ATS Regent.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeedawg

I wasn't sure if Canada had switched yet. Apparently you guys still have a bit of both, which is cool.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Get a good antenna two(best) on a tower if possible. We get over 25 digital channels one direction another 15 rotated. Haven't had satellite for years. Anything else watch on internet. If you do it right it will be a great investment.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
There is a diy tutorial on youtube that shows how to make an antenna out of cloths hangers. I've made two of them and they work better than store bought antennas. You can easily make one of these antennas in under 30 minutes and everything you need to make them, you most likely already have at home.

Sorry I cant post a link

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by Zarniwoop

Thats the video, thanks.

To the OP: if you dont have a flat screen or hdtv you'll need a converter box as the flatscreens and hdtv's usualy have them built in

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
If you get a really good digital antennae you can watch adds in glorious HD .

+1 to this.
Stick to the internet. I don't have TV at home anymore, I'd rather watch my shows with the ads cut out.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thanks everybody. I stared you all. Nice replies and everybody was civil...nice. Thanks for the vid as well. I'll try it out.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeedawg

Digital broadcasts are able to be received by any old tv antenna the problem was with certain older televisions being unable to decode the broadcasts not in that the signal could not be received.

FCC antenna info

new topics

top topics

join