It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds first genetically modified babies are born!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
creepy stuff if you ask me. we are headed in that direction though..a race of clones and genetic engineering.

I think it's great, and I'll tell you why. Disease, genetic and otherwise, would be a thing of the past. No more disabled people, no more mental illness, or retardation, or ADHD, or any other childhood problems. One could choose the attributes of their child before conception. Adults would get a boon too, as gene therapy would heal any illness, cancer, heart problems gone forever, bad backs healed overnight, head/brain injuries healed......the list is practically endless!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I think it's great, and I'll tell you why. Disease, genetic and otherwise, would be a thing of the past. No more disabled people, no more mental illness, or retardation, or ADHD, or any other childhood problems.

I agree with this, Russell Crowe above me here has it right.

I dont understand non-religious people who have problems with this kind of stuff. All "mother nature didnt intend this"! Mother nature mutates all her creatures all the time. Ever heard of evolution? I dont cling to any great ideas about how we are perfect in our present form, or any such thing. In fact, we could be better, couldnt we? Live longer, reduce or prevent all future birth defects and more. Obviously the greatest caution must be taken.

Why are these bad things?
edit on 28-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

I can't agree more. This is a terrible thing for a species as young and retarded as ours to be messing with. We think we can predict what these children will do to our gene pool 100 or 500 years down the line after they have bred with regular people. It is insane. We just learned to do that and already we are changing what took millions of years to perfect.

We are not an engine in a dinky garage any amateur can fiddle with. I only hope they fail so other more responsible people can achieve something relevant and good without being so cavalier with our very existence.

edit on 28-6-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
SCIENCE IS BAD BLARGHS!

Actually, science has done more good for everyone here than bad. Think about doctors, dentists, the computer you type on. All of these things brought to you by science.

Everyone fears a scientific trial when it first comes to be, but if it's tested safely then it becomes a marvel.

I'm sure people had the same reaction to things like artificial limbs, pacemakers, blood dialysis.

“[It] destroys memory [and] weakens the mind, relieving it of…work that makes it strong. [It] is an inhuman thing.”
-Socrates on Writing.

People. Fear. Change.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serraphina
I couldn't imagine my life without kids. In fact, thinking about it make me sad. I'll be thankful for my grandchildren when the time comes! I just couldn't fault someone for using artificial means to conceive. It is not my place to fault them or judge them. If they are operating within the parameters of law and ethical behavior - go for it.

As to the risks - pish posh. We have bigger worries and fish to fry - such as pollution, waste, disease. These things present more of a risk to mutation in humans, than splicing genes that WE KNOW go together in a certain way to create a viable human that will thrive.

I swear, if people started thinking critically for once, they would fall over in shock at their own stupidity.

Next time an artificial anything created by our horrible technology and science - oh I don't know - like a pacemaker is needed - may the authorities who spy, note everyone of you, and DENY you the technology you so despise. For that is what you propose doing to those who would use technology to conceive.

~ Serra
Yes who cares if these children end up completely screwed up, as long as that desperate couple manipulates their way into having them huh

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

It's not my place to judge. It's not my place to assume. If science and technology can help a desperate couple have a child - why should that bother me? Why would I suggest that these children conceived in an artificial manner are somehow different from anyone else? Are we to assume that these children are mutated or something?

I mean, unless you are assuming that these kids didn't have amniocenteses to confirm that they are a healthy human...which they would. But people don't critically think, they simply assume. Scientists would have terminated the child before it even left the womb should it have proven to be anything except 100% human, healthy and viable. Do you really think they would even let these children be born, if genetic testing hadn't shown that the created child wasn't healthy?

Seriously?

~ Serra

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I think this is wonderful news it might open the door to cureing my Cystic fibrosis that is genetic if not me others with this horrible disease i have no problems with this at all in-fact I'm excited..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
It is very important to ensure that any genetic modifications are reasonably safe for the children. But beyond that, I dont see any ethical or moral issues. Nature my arse, genetic engineering is the future. It is only a matter of time.

Yes - I'm all for progress.

Mother nature? In a global catastrophe - - Mother Nature would select the most survivable - - which would not be humans.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I honestly thought this was against the law in the states. I must be thinking of cloning.

Well since it's not
:::rubbs hands together:: ::evil laugh::
moo who haha , moo who haha
Time to make that Four-Assed Human

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
I think this is wonderful news it might open the door to cureing my Cystic fibrosis that is genetic if not me others with this horrible disease i have no problems with this at all in-fact I'm excited..peace,sugarcookie1

Me too.

Science can already test for certain abnormalities in a fertilized egg before it is implanted in the woman.

If I had an inherited disease - - I would certainly choose the option of a healthy egg minus the inherited disease.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Maybe one day we can engineer children who are born immune to such close minded, torch and pitchfork, idiocy. Every scientific advancement is being labeled as "ungodly" and "against nature", it's really starting to get old. Of course, these people change their tunes when these advancements somehow benefit them. It's like the people who don't believe in science but rush to the hospital whenever something goes wrong.

I'd also like to point out that if anyone wants to get mad about people not adopting children, they should blame the adoption agencies. Adopting in America is so difficult that it's actually easier to fly to the other side of the globe to adopt a child from China. If you're so concerned then why don't you adopt a few?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Do they have "Monsanto" tattoos on their ankles?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Maybe one day we can engineer children who are born immune to such close minded, torch and pitchfork, idiocy. Every scientific advancement is being labeled as "ungodly" and "against nature", it's really starting to get old. Of course, these people change their tunes when these advancements somehow benefit them. It's like the people who don't believe in science but rush to the hospital whenever something goes wrong.

Like Pro-Life Ronald Reagan against stem cell research.

Yet after he was incapacitated - - Nancy Reagan, and their son, Ron Jr., advocate the practice which would more than likely benefit Alzheimer's research as well as a host of other chronic conditions.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Yeah, or the legions of people who yell "God's will!" yet refuse to accept negative things when it happens to them, who use cell phones, computers, modern medicine, automobiles and a host of other things created by science.

The pro-life movement, incidentally, is partly responsible for the over abundance of children available for adoption. They often lure vulnerable young women in with "Abortion alternatives" which mostly amount to adoption.

Coming bad to the topic of this thread, I totally support this research and development. Children born with the genetic coding of three, rather than two, parents have a greater genetic diversity when it comes to creating their own children. This genetic diversity is important to the continuation of our species.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Everyone is different. Some people are born stronger than others, it's just the way it is. All this tampering with human genes is simply wrong. Why can't people just play the cards they are dealt. This isn't some video game where you can cheat and simply reset the game when you mess it up.

I'm sorry if you have a genetic disease/disorder and will pass it to your children (I suffer from one). But that's life. I mean, what would life be if everyone was on equal footing. Can you imagine a whole planet of geniuses who are all top athletes and virtuosic musicians and at the same time, immune to all disease. Sounds great right? WRONG. Where is the struggle? The struggle against all odds is what life is all about. To better yourself within your means. In all honesty, you don't really need any of this. People live, people die, end of story. It's the fear of death and pain that drives insanity.

This doesn't stop here. Soon, corporations will be patenting human genes. Eventually, the majority of people will be grown because those experts in their white coats can't leave anything to chance. They have to have control over all aspects of existence. The quest for power never ends.

Most people probably won't agree with me and my assessment, and that's fine, but this will be sold as beneficial to you, because that is how everything detrimental is sold to you. I'm just happy I'll be dead and rotten long before I see what kind of mess this makes in the end. It seriously reminds me of Gattica and The Island.
edit on 29-6-2012 by BlesUTP because: spelling

top topics

<< 1   >>

join