It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds first genetically modified babies are born!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
link

So far, two of the babies have been tested and have been found to contain genes from three 'parents'. Fifteen of the children were born in the past three years as a result of one experimental programme at the Institute for Reproductive Medicine and Science of St Barnabas in New Jersey. The babies were born to women who had problems conceiving. Extra genes from a female donor were inserted into their eggs before they were fertilised in an attempt to enable them to conceive. Genetic fingerprint tests on two one-year- old children confirm that they have inherited DNA from three adults --two women and one man.

John Smeaton, national director of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, said: 'One has tremendous sympathy for couples who suffer infertility problems. But this seems to be a further illustration of the fact that the whole process of in vitro fertilisation as a means of conceiving babies leads to babies being regarded as objects on a production line. '

Nobody is thinking of these children are they? only their sick experiments, and someones own fullfillment of having a child! this is damn dangerous if you ask me, this is opening pandoras box
edit on 28-6-2012 by CoolStoryMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

I didnt even know they began to start this process out in the open yet. YES in labs secure labs this was expected but didnt think it was so far progressed in the open world view. I hope those children are going to have a safe and healthy life. They may require observation for their entire lives though.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
creepy stuff if you ask me. we are headed in that direction though..a race of clones and genetic engineering.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Wow! Science before well being. This disgusts me. I understand that it must be devastating to not be able to have a child but to mess with nature in such a way is scary territory. Who knows what this could do in the long run? S&F for sure. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lindsay1984
Wow! Science before well being. This disgusts me. I understand that it must be devastating to not be able to have a child but to mess with nature in such a way is scary territory. Who knows what this could do in the long run? S&F for sure. Thanks for posting.

Mother Nature is one woman not to be #ed with...wont be long til they start genetically modifying living humans now will it

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Nobody is thinking of these children are they? only their sick experiments, and someones own fullfillment of having a child! this is damn dangerous if you ask me, this is opening pandoras box

Are you an idiot?

This is not some sick experiment......this is giving life where none would otherwise exist.

It is a IVF/gene splice to give a couple (that could not conceive) a chance at being parents.

These children don't grow up in a laboratory. They grow up in a home with parents and a hope for a good life.

Maybe you should quit flaming the good people that make this world a better place and take a real good long hard look at yourself.

*flame omitted due to ban factor

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Or they could just adopt one of the thousands of children that are in foster care rather than created a new genetically modified baby. Just a thought. I know the woman wouldn't get to experience the actual child birth but it's sad that all these unwanted children NEED homes but instead we'll just make new better babies.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Are you an idiot?

This is not some sick experiment......this is giving life where none would otherwise exist.

It is a IVF/gene splice to give a couple (that could not conceive) a chance at being parents.

These children don't grow up in a laboratory. They grow up in a home with parents and a hope for a good life.

Maybe you should quit flaming the good people that make this world a better place and take a real good long hard look at yourself.

One disagrees strongly with you sir.
You agree that tampering with genetics is..
Morally, socially or ethically 'right'?
Is not extremely arrogant and risky?
Is.. I could go on all day, sure, they might think they are doing good and might actually be doing some good but... one disagrees strongly sir!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Should we even be messing with this? You're right; there are so many children who need adopting that are being overlooked. I personally think we need to curb our population. We're at 7 billion, more than the world can hold!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The opinions voiced on this thread bring up the old conundrum: given how many unwanted children there are in need of adoption, why are the people protesting at abortion clinics not protesting in front of fertility clinics as well? Surely, if the creator did not want a woman to conceive, it must be blasphemy for science to give her two or three children... and then throw the unused fetuses away.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Are you an idiot?

The DNA of some of these children have them linked to THREE people. children should not be science experiments

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lindsay1984

Or they could just adopt one of the thousands of children that are in foster care rather than created a new genetically modified baby. Just a thought. I know the woman wouldn't get to experience the actual child birth but it's sad that all these unwanted children NEED homes but instead we'll just make new better babies.

Exactly. But these aren't people who want a baby to take care of and love. They want a smaller version of themselves. And people actually believe their hogwash when they tell you how much love they have to give a child. Suckers.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

what is morally right? what is ethical? in this situation you can not make the blanket statement this is bad,
tampering with genetics for no reason would be foolish, but in this case there was a goal, i may not agree
with it myself but it was not my choice, and as to address the idea of genetics being something we should
not tamper with well that is simply not true, I for one believe we have an obligation to do so, morally and ethically,
should i choose to have children one day i would love to be able to modify them to have stronger immune systems,
be at much lower risks for genetic disease or childhood disease, the idea is only logical and can bring oh so many
good things to the human race.

now i must agree with you, this is a bad idea as well, it could lead to a nightmare situation in which society
devolves into a freakish mutated mass of pop culture copies and even the worst case of Big Brother brainwashed
carbon copy sheeple ever conceived in the lowest levels of hells hell, that by the way is where people from the
westborrow baptist church go so its really bad.... avoid it if possible.

truth is its like all modern day, society altering technologies, they are the best and worst of humanity in a striking image of our own inability to chose between selfish cannibalism or compromising and forgiveness, i could point out many many things where this is the case, computers are the most obvious, wonderful extremely useful and versatile things that are the engines of creation and salvation, medical technology so amazing we can remove a heart and put in a new one, yet they are used as guidance for the most destructive weapons our warped minds can produce.

this technology has such potential, dont judge it too harshly for its limited and possibly ill advised use,
i agree that adoption should be the first choice in that situation, many children need good homes so badly.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Any time "man" does anything to try and mimic a natural process it is an experiment because man still cannot fully comprehend nature and how it works, we only think we can. Its all arrogance and naivety.

However I will accept that mans naivety and arrogance is as much of a part of nature as anything else. I don't believe much exists outside of the will of nature and its intentions/order. Maybe we are naturally destined to become a race of genetically modified beings, maybe we have already done this a long time ago and we today are genetically modified version of our original selves...Maybe were destined to die off from the unforeseen consequences (which there always are) of self species manipulation...

There is something inherently uncomfortable with men in white coats making conclusions about the future of our race and the direction it will take...I don't feel as though anyone is in control of any of this though.

edit on 28-6-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Are you an idiot?

Ahh okay! So using your logic, we could just keep 'giving life', as much as we please? with no limits or boundaries? What are the limits? Do we know the limits? Do we know the quota that we have to meet of "unpersonified souls"?
haha your definition lacks any sense. Your definition assumes we know more about the universe than we actually do. How many "souls", by your definition - need life? How many are "missing out?"

I'm sorry that i repeated myself a few times there, but are YOU an idiot?

Hmm, because we have just given unfortunate people the chance to be parents in June, 2012...

Thankfully we are able to engineer babies, because what would we have done otherwise? Maybe sarah who couldn't have a child didn't like the one with the eyes... or the red shirt... who knows...

There are plenty of other children out there who don't even get to "hope" for a good life with parents and a home - rather wish they even had one.

I will quote this part, because it suits your post! Do you think about what you're writing?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You sir are a moron! It's all good in happy fantasy land! People that couldn't have what they wanted.. so we just thought screw the repercussions of introducing modeified DNA into the global population what's the worst that could happen?

Unbelievable near sighted ignorance. Tom and sally had a baby that's great! All it cost was the introduction of mutated humans from now till the end of our civilization.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ka0s69

You sir are a moron! It's all good in happy fantasy land! People that couldn't have what they wanted.. so we just thought screw the repercussions of introducing modeified DNA into the global population what's the worst that could happen?

Unbelievable near sighted ignorance. Tom and sally had a baby that's great! All it cost was the introduction of mutated humans from now till the end of our civilization.

You are over-reacting. They did not introduce genetic material from a fish in hopes that the babies would develop gills. All of the genes that were spliced were normal human genes. All they did was perform "normal" sexual reproduction using the genes of three, rather than two, individuals. I agree that the process was motivated by vanity, and does lead to a "slippery slope." The danger is not that the world will populated by mutants,* but that society might embrace the idea of celebrity gene donors. Wouldn't you like your child to have some of Michio Kaku's, or even Angelina Joli's, DNA?

*Strictly speaking, these children are not mutants. All of their DNA is (hopefully) accurately copied from that of the donors. They are in all respects, save for their conception, normal.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It is very important to ensure that any genetic modifications are reasonably safe for the children. But beyond that, I dont see any ethical or moral issues. Nature my arse, genetic engineering is the future. It is only a matter of time.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan
this is damn dangerous if you ask me, this is opening pandoras box

How is this opening Pandoras box?

These arent half human half animal or anything bizarre. And really, are you simply assuming these children do not want to be born? They could grow up to be normal, well adjusted people.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I couldn't imagine my life without kids. In fact, thinking about it make me sad. I'll be thankful for my grandchildren when the time comes! I just couldn't fault someone for using artificial means to conceive. It is not my place to fault them or judge them. If they are operating within the parameters of law and ethical behavior - go for it.

As to the risks - pish posh. We have bigger worries and fish to fry - such as pollution, waste, disease. These things present more of a risk to mutation in humans, than splicing genes that WE KNOW go together in a certain way to create a viable human that will thrive.

I swear, if people started thinking critically for once, they would fall over in shock at their own stupidity.

Next time an artificial anything created by our horrible technology and science - oh I don't know - like a pacemaker is needed - may the authorities who spy, note everyone of you, and DENY you the technology you so despise. For that is what you propose doing to those who would use technology to conceive.

~ Serra

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join