It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys trained to use currency..... and the result's !? :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Not sure if this is Science , but i am guess its in the name of it ! Mods if i have posted in the wrong area please do what thow wilt !

so here it is , i found this to be very interesting

Economic researchers at Yale managed to successfully train Capuchin monkeys to understand and use currency. The result? The monkeys used their newfound currency to buy sex:

some thoughts ?

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightningStrikesHere
Not sure if this is Science , but i am guess its in the name of it ! Mods if i have posted in the wrong area please do what thow wilt !

so here it is , i found this to be very interesting

Economic researchers at Yale managed to successfully train Capuchin monkeys to understand and use currency. The result? The monkeys used their newfound currency to buy sex:

some thoughts ?

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

well unless there is a capuchin monkey corner shop in their little compound where they can buy beer, cigarettes, a newspaper, and fruit, what else would a capuchin WANT to buy?.

oh look this is a toaster, er, but you need bread.
This is a car, er, but your a bit small.
what about a diamond ring............yes you could use it to trade for sex....

Something that has just crossed my mind is, how did they negotiate, did one cruise by slowly in a car, drive round the block, come back.strike a deal, and then go to a motel?.

And this could ruin relationships between boy and girl capuchins forever, those girls are not going to want to go back to a cashless society, with limited amounts of money, and only one thing they want to trade for, the girls are going to have all the money.
Hopefully they will train the boys to style hair, or, give manicures to earn a bit back.

edit on 27-6-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightningStrikesHere
The result? The monkeys used their newfound currency to buy sex:

Sounds like some humans sneaked into the monkeys cage

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
what else is money used for? Guys buy stuff in the hopes of impressing a woman and getting the butt.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

So there is a monkey redlight distict and mokey hoes
And i always thought that monkeys would fight each other and the winner was the one getting the sex

Cran

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

well unless there is a capuchin monkey corner shop in their little compound where they can buy beer, cigarettes, a newspaper, and fruit, what else would a capuchin WANT to buy?

you make a valid point here ,

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, used to do the same.

I bet the monkeys could handle the economy better...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BagBing
Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, used to do the same.

I bet the monkeys could handle the economy better...

hahaha good on you brother ! good on you

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I guess they didn't notice this guy:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Now we know the reason that the world's oldest profession is the world's oldest profession

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Soon the monkeys are gonna wonder how currency is created. Maybe they need to find a hairy ape and call him Ben Bernanke.
edit on 27-6-2012 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I heard the story is not over yet,
The monkeys are now building a
printing press.
They love the idea of,
unlimited funds, and sex.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace

So there is a monkey redlight distict and mokey hoes
And i always thought that monkeys would fight each other and the winner was the one getting the sex

Cran

That's how it works on my street, but we do take offense at being called monkeys, no matter how valid a description it is.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
Now we know the reason that the world's oldest profession is the world's oldest profession

This is actually a pretty deep thought. We are teaching them things and seeing our selves. We laugh at how stupid they act but we fail to look in the mirror! Whats next up... teaching them to elect a leader and vote ?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

This is actually a pretty deep thought. We are teaching them things and seeing our selves. We laugh at how stupid they act but we fail to look in the mirror! Whats next up... teaching them to elect a leader and vote ?

Well, politics would be the second oldest profession, so we may as well go in order!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

some thoughts ?

Not sure why it should come as a surprise.

Though I suppose my lack of it is partially influenced by a book I read, recently, detailing the Red Queen Hypothesis: The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Matt Ridley

en.wikipedia.org...

The hypothesis is intended to explain two different phenomena: the advantage of sexual reproduction at the level of individuals, and the constant evolutionary arms race between competing species. In the first (microevolutionary) version, by making every individual an experiment when mixing mother's and father's genes, sexual reproduction may allow a species to evolve quickly just to hold onto the ecological niche that it already occupies in the ecosystem. In the second (macroevolutionary) version, the probability of extinction for groups (usually families) of organisms is hypothesized to be constant within the group and random among groups. Its counterpart is the Court Jester Hypothesis, which proposes that macroevolution is driven mostly by abiotic events and forces.

www.indiana.edu...

www.experiment-resources.com...

And, more about the book (which delves, toward the end, into the implications for human psychology and the evolution of our own intellect):

en.wikipedia.org...:_Sex_and_the_Evolution_of_Human_Nature

Toward the end of the book Ridley argues that human intelligence is largely a result of sexual selection. He argues that human intelligence far outstrips any survivalist demands that would have been placed on our hominid ancestors, and analogizes human intelligence to the peacock's tail, a trait widely believed to be the result of sexual selection. Human intelligence, he suggests, is used primarily to attract mates through prodigious displays of wit, charm, inventiveness, and individuality. This view of Intelligence is treated at length in Geoffrey Miller's The Mating Mind: How Sexual Choice Shaped the Evolution of Human Nature (2001)

www.pbs.org...

Another discussion:

books.google.com... GRKyoZK4gaL4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=67XtT-veD-Tg0QH7oo2RDg&ved=0CEoQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=Red%20Queen%20Hypothesis%20human%20psychology&f=false

... Hopefully that links correctly.

Basically - at the core of it all - politics, money, and all abstractions of power come down largely to the pursuit of mating rights/capacity. Males and females both instinctively pursue the means to produce healthy and competitive children; but the biological function of each in the process places a spin on what this means. The male will seek to "sow his oats" while the female will seek establishment and reliability for the rearing of offspring (which cannot be ignored by the male, either; at least in the case of humans: which is why even highly polygamous cultures has a concept of marriage and heir legitimacy - social/political status matters and cannot be inherited by a throng borne of a harem).

It's quite an interesting idea, when you look at it.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Click here for more information.

Really? A picture of a money's butt is against T&C?

new topics

top topics

join