It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists find field full of ancient mammoths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Archaeologists find field full of ancient mammoths

Archaeologists in Serbia said they have found a rare mammoth field containing the remains of at least five of the giant beasts that lived here tens of thousands of years ago. The discovery last week at the Kostolac coal mine, east of Belgrade, is the first of its kind in the region. It could offer important insight into the ice age in the Balkans, said Miomir Korac from Serbia's Archaeology Institute....

The bones found last month likely belong to the so-called woolly mammoth, which disappeared some 10,000 years ago, said Sanja Alaburic, a mammoth expert from Serbia's Museum of Natural History.

Alaburic explained that "this discovery is interesting because, unusually, there are many bones in one place," probably brought there by torrential waters.

"probably brought there by torrential waters"

Ok here we go.....

It doesn't mention if they found any other type of animal skeletons which would seem reasonable to expect also collecting in the same general area. No? This couldn't possibly be a site of a quick mass die off could it?

Another odd find at our about 10,000 years ago...

Stay tuned..

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
maybe not a mass die off but a mammoth graveyard
like elephant graveyards possibly
great find slayer as always man
you are on the ball my friend!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Slayer, since when did you have an interest in mammoths?

Lol, just kidding. Obscure reference to another post in your other thread.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Research in 2007 revealed that the demise of the woolly mammoth, in North America at least, may have actually been caused by the sudden impact of a meteorite or comet hitting the Earth. Scientists from Brown University, in Rhode Island, USA, believe that they have found evidence of an asteroid hitting the Earth, which led to the extinction of large mammals, including the woolly mammoth in North America, as a result of massive climate change. The scientists argue that a large asteroid or comets would have hit North America, leading to the melting of ice sheets, extreme wildfires and the whipping up of hurricane force winds, which in turn led to the extreme ‘big freeze’ cooling of what is referred to as the Younger Dryas Period. The Younger Dryas period took place an estimated 10,000 or so years ago, when the world was heating up from the last ice age. However, it was a short-lived (700 years) cold snap that had a massive effect on the climate of North America and Europe.

Why Did the Woolly Mammoth Die Out?

Humans,Climate change,or this........

Im banking on this.

S&F

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Howdy Slayer

As I read the article it is saying that mammoths as a species disappeared some 10,000 years ago not these specific animals, around 8,000 BCE. It also mentions earlier finds of mammoth which were 500,000 and 1 m years old. Might need to find the published paper (if any) journalists often confuse what a report actually says.

Slightly different version of the same report - but with an image
edit on 22/6/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I still find it interesting that they didn't mention any other species found. Considering the possible explanation given as to why they ended up together.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I still find it interesting that they didn't mention any other species found. Considering the possible explanation given as to why they ended up together.

Big bones vs little bones, in a flash flood large bones tend to gather in one area while lighter bones get taken farther away, big bones also tend to be noticed more, while bird and rodent ones show up later in the screening, standard rocking sifter!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Wasn't there also woolly Rhino, and Bison and other period mega-fauna of large stature during this period as well?

edit on 22-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Wasn't there also woolly Rhino, and Bison and other period mega-fauna of large stature during this period as well?

I believe so, there were a number of big hostile mammal wandering around Europe during the mesolithic

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Well wouldn't it stand to reason that those bones would also show up in the same general area as well?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Slayer, since when did you have an interest in mammoths?

Lol, just kidding. Obscure reference to another post in your other thread.

I'm actually considering writing a large thread on Mega-fauna die offs.

Stay tuned.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

jelousy is a bitch!

why so negative?
edit on 22-6-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
maybe not a mass die off but a mammoth graveyard
like elephant graveyards possibly
great find slayer as always man
you are on the ball my friend!

Has the "Elephant Graveyard" been proven?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Has the "Elephant Graveyard" been proven?

No.Still a myth.

Other theories focus on elephant behavior during lean times, suggesting that starving elephants gather in places where finding food is easier, and subsequently die there

Elephant's graveyard

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Depends on the circumstances. We may be looking at a family group that got swept away whilst fording a river in spate and were therefore the only victims of this specific incident. Also, since mammoths tend to be appeal to the public more, it may be that other species are in the deposit but simply not reported.

Most remains found in river deposits in Siberia have been in association with other species.

Edit: looks like the bones found at the site span at least a million years and include different species of mammoths (though these latest finds are all of woolly mammoths) - so I'm guessing my 2nd suggestion is most likely the case, ie the associated remains of deer or horse just aren't newsworthy!
edit on 22-6-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join