It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists find field full of ancient mammoths

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Has the "Elephant Graveyard" been proven?

No.Still a myth.

Other theories focus on elephant behavior during lean times, suggesting that starving elephants gather in places where finding food is easier, and subsequently die there

Elephant's graveyard

Another factor is water deposition in concentrated areas, like all the "elephant bones" at Mammoth, Kentucky. Apparently the river gathered them, and dropped them in an eddy in an ancient bend in the river.

It doesn't preclude a mass die-off. They could still have all died at around the same time, and the river carried the carcasses to a single point. there is still a lot being learned about the time around the Younger Dryas.

edit on 2012/6/22 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I suppose that's always a possibility. I'll keep an inquisitive mind though. I still find it odd that most finds are of one or two at the most and here we have five or possibly more.

I also just posted this interesting story. Not related. Giant wombat mass grave found

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

no it hasnt but they are certainly amazing and brainy animals so who knows
sounds logical to me but like you say its up for debate

The existence of a mass graveyard to which elephants go to die remains a myth. It is thought to be the retreat of old and dying elephants, so that they die away from the herd, not hindering the progress of those that remain behind. Even those explorers claiming to have stumbled across this mass burial site are never able to locate it again to prove their claims. This legendary place is said to lure dying elephants by a supernatural force, something that can not be explained by natural or physical laws. It is thought to be in the Saudi Arabian desert, but those who have searched for it have either returned unsuccessful, or have disappeared in their quests.

Source

some pics (not conclusive evidence but its a starting point)

edit on 22-6-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko

I think that image there may be of a poachers site if I'm not mistaken. Usually you can tell by the fact that the tusks seem to have been hacked out. I think that's the case there. Look to the far left

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

your right
thats a big hole
im glad that the new law gives the elephant watchers (not 100% on the real name) the rights to shoot the poachers on site

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
reply to post by HumanCondition

jelousy is a bitch!

why so negative?
edit on 22-6-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)
Not at all, I don't need a back up team to try and make what I say look legitimate.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Hanslune

Well wouldn't it stand to reason that those bones would also show up in the same general area as well?

If there was a pandemic affecting elephants specifically or larger mammals then it would make sense as per why there are more elephant bones/skeletons at the site.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

You can get some pretty 'narrow focus' events in archaeology. Where by chance a few minutes or less of time is frozen for us to find later. My favourite is the finding of a Australopithecus skull with leopard teeth marks

A bad way to go but a moment frozen in archaeological time

There is an image there but it is copyright so you'll have to click on the link!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by hp1229

You can get some pretty 'narrow focus' events in archaeology. Where by chance a few minutes or less of time is frozen for us to find later. My favourite is the finding of a Australopithecus skull with leopard teeth marks

A bad way to go but a moment frozen in archaeological time

There is an image there but it is copyright so you'll have to click on the link!

Hi Hans,
Im kinda fond of tuang boy, at least the leopard likely killed its prey before it was dragged off, and not carries off alive by a monkey eagle.
I knew somebody once, who was raised on a historic ranch deep in the central coast mtn range of California. The ranch was founded in 1850's and is still very remote. My friend who is in his sixties, was not allowed to play out side until he was 7 or 8 because of the danger of being carried off by eagles, just like lambs and calves frequently were. And at least on child in the past was so this guys mother wouldn't let him outside by himself or if eagle were in the air.
Talk about terrifying, being carried away by the head while still alive.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
Talk about terrifying, being carried away by the head while still alive.

A number of people in India survived being attacked and drag off by shoulder, head or neck by tigers or leopards in India. They were saved by their fellow villagers attacking the tigers with sticks, stones and noise. The Champawat tigress killed 436 people (that were known) probably more.

I can recommend Jim Corbett's book on this subject which I read last week

Man-eaters of Kumaon

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Off topic,
But I love the avatar, is that a'93 YZR500?
Awsome MOTO.
I would really like to find out what did in these mammoths.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A couple of decades ago , while excavating the madera county land fill workers discovered the largest fossil beds on the west coast.
Fossils of mammoth, dire wolves camels and lots of others. Two years ago a new museum,/discovery center was opened. I haven hereby there yet but I'm told its is excellent.

The link
maderamammoths.org...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join