It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Super-Eruption Larger Than Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Ancient Super-Eruption Larger Than Thought

A super-eruption of an Italian volcano that may have played a major role in the Neanderthals' fate was apparently even larger than thought, new research suggests.

For the new study, scientists investigated the Campi Flegrei caldera volcano in southern Italy. About 39,000 years ago, it experienced the largest volcanic eruption that Europe has seen in the last 200,000 years. This super-eruption may have played a part in wiping out or driving away Neanderthal and modern human populations in the eastern Mediterranean

Ok I spotted this just a few minutes ago and thought it was interesting. This could explain the lack of very many Neanderthal sites in the Eastern Mediterranean and possibly may have delayed the mixture of the two as I've outlined in one of my threads on Ancient man which I believed happened.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

sincw when did you become interested in ancient history?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

since when did you not realise slayer posts about a wide variety of topics?

get a grip

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

I believe it was an attempt at sarcasm.

Seems both Slayer and yourself missed it.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
i would have to agree with you slayer as its been recorded in history that civilisations have been wiped out by natural disasters probably countless times
like the crete volcano that wiped out what i believe was atlantis (only by interpretation thru Plato)
here a fantastic documentary on atlantis being crete

completley wiped out a civilisation in one swoop!

edit on 22-6-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

sorry man
this is ATS where sarcasm and joking dont exist

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Thanks for posting the video. I'm checking it out now

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised if Earth went through some cataclysm,brought on by Comets,or meteors.

Imagine a very large meteor striking Yellowstone.....

Yes,I have no proof of this,but my best guess,is as good as Al Gore's...........when it comes to hows,and whys !

I also wonder about Libyan Desert Glass.........

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Shameless thread bump then off into the abyss....

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
hey slayer
did you get the chance to watch the vid i posted about Thira just north of Crete being possibly Atlantis?
i thought it was a lot more compelling than any other theories
any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well recently I read dogs where the reason we had a great advantage over Neanderthals and was basicly the reason we had energy for other things giving us an advantage.

Could be but as most things, so long ago, it's just guesswork, not really science.

But we always want to know!

But, hey I would love living in Europe when we didnt had a slightest idea North America existed. So much more left for fantasy, let alone with google maps these days

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

That could very well be. Italy was one of the temperate zone areas that the last neanderthals seem to be found in.

Being already restricted to a narrow corridor by the icesheets, having your last range blow up and then the temperature drop again extending the glacial maximum would probably not be good for species survival.

Possibly the ice age was starting to end, and the sudden temperature drop would have closed some of the corridors again.

(www.geography.wisc.edu...)

Originally posted by Plugin
Well recently I read dogs where the reason we had a great advantage over Neanderthals and was basicly the reason we had energy for other things giving us an advantage.

My guess is that cro-magnon have a depressed immune system, allowing for women's bodies to reproduce with more variations of closely related homonidae.
edit on 22-6-2012 by SibylofErythrae because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I've always liked the Thera theory for the source material PLATO used.
Why not? It was nearby, It was destroyed a thousands years before his time and was a Sea faring power of it's era

I know some still feel the Ancient Alien aspect is sexier but meh...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Man, those super volcanoes give me the creeps. Often times I look out to the west from where I live and think what if Yellowstone pops its top? These volcanoes are killing machines. Now, I was aware of the Toba Eruption over 70-thousand-years-ago, but this one is new to me.

Now, apparently they found trace evidence in the geological record, but nothing in the bone fragments from either humans or neanderthals? I did not see that mentioned in the article. Nothing about evidence in the fossil record of wildlife either. Furthermore, I wonder how many humans or neanderthals may have perished from such a cataclysmic event? Very interesting. I am going to have to look into this a little further.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The Thera/Santorini eruption was arguably the cause of the ten plagues of Egypt and might have triggered a domino effect (or been caused by a domino effect) along the rifts of the Suez Canal and the Gulf of Aqaba....and caused Mount Sinai (in Saudi not Sinai) and 'his myriad of little ones' to errupt also. Continental drift can, scientists now believe, happen suddenly.

Lots of info on this and other related subjects here....ohmyvolcano.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SibylofErythrae

That could very well be. Italy was one of the temperate zone areas that the last neanderthals seem to be found in.

Being already restricted to a narrow corridor by the icesheets, having your last range blow up and then the temperature drop again extending the glacial maximum would probably not be good for species survival.

Possibly the ice age was starting to end, and the sudden temperature drop would have closed some of the corridors again.

Or perhaps, given that the pontic steppe provided a safe haven during glacial maximum, for both hominid groups and their animal prey that they would have naturally retreated there, and considering that the winds around the eruption area are not conducive to carrying the dust cloud in that direction, it is more likely that the threat was that once the dust had settled, it made it's way into their food chain. When the animals began their migrations and the humans followed, both plant and plant eaters would have been carriers of those toxins into the hunter-gatherers diet.

Fluorine-laden ash from the eruption that later became incorporated into plant matter eaten by these hominids could have also potentially caused a condition known as fluorosis, which can lead to eye, tooth and organ damage. In addition, sulfur dioxide, fluorine and chlorine emissions from the volcano would have generated intense acid rain downwind of the volcano.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I thought they found proof of Atlantis on the coast of Spain just past the Straits of Gibraltar but this is not my area of knowledge at all.

Source

Great OP s&f
edit on 22-6-2012 by scoodoo20 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join