It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asylum seeker boat capsizes north of Christmas Island

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
These people are not asylum seekers, get that through all your thick heads....

If they were seriously seekign asylym they would be going to the nearest country that is safe next to theirs....which they are not doing.

They are nothing more than ilegal immigrants and good riddens if their ships sink in my opinion because they shouldnt be here and they know the dangers.

Real asylum seekers seek refuge neearest to their homelands. Not halfway across the bloody world.

Yes i know what they are and i agree with you 1000% britain has got it the worst especially
in portsmouth my home town may i add the birth place of alot of yourselves australia.

So i am just as angry as you are man/lady whatever you are...
Some of you over there just singing waltzing matilda and chuck shrimps about
the doo gooders that is..

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
reply to post by denver22

i have no objections to bringing in people who are displaced, living in refugee camps on 1 meal a day. they are true refugees. if you can afford to pay $10,000 to a people smuggler to jump the queue, then these others have no chance what so ever. they dont even have 10 cents.

Unfortunately these people cannot afford 10 grand. They usually get started on their journey being quoted a lower price. At the various "stops" on a refugee's journey, such as changing vehicles or modes of transport, they are greeted by new "guides" or handlers and they will sometimes refuse to take them further without additional money.

Their leaving is often an act of desperation, they know they will be leaving for at least several years, starting with an uncertain journey but hopefully arriving at a mildly hospitable destination where there is paid work and few questions and with the possibility to send back money each month to their family back home.

You would need to watch documentaries and read certain articles though to discover the whole (meaning both sides) story of human displacement, voluntary or otherwise. That is not meant as an insult or criticism but I've seen/read quite a bit myself and some of the stories these people can tell you are literally mind-bending. They are often married men, with children. It's not like they want to leave...
edit on 23/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Corrections

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Originally posted by bellagirl
reply to post by denver22

i have no objections to bringing in people who are displaced, living in refugee camps on 1 meal a day. they are true refugees. if you can afford to pay $10,000 to a people smuggler to jump the queue, then these others have no chance what so ever. they dont even have 10 cents.

Unfortunately these people cannot afford 10 grand. They usually get started on their journey being quoted a lower price. At the various "stops" on a refugee's journey, such as changing vehicles or modes of transport, they are greeted by new "guides" or handlers and they will sometimes refuse to take them further without additional money.

Their leaving is often an act of desperation, they know they will be leaving for at least several years, starting with an uncertain journey but hopefully arriving at a mildly hospitable destination where there is paid work and few questions and with the possibility to send back money each month to their family back home.

You would need to watch documentaries and read certain articles though to discover the whole (meaning both sides) story of human displacement, voluntary or otherwise. That is not meant as an insult or criticism but I've seen/read quite a bit myself and some of the stories these people can tell you are literally mind-bending. They are often married men, with children. It's not like they want to leave...
edit on 23/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Corrections

that may be the case with asylum seekers...but the arrivals are illegal immigrants. as someone in another post said there is a massive difference.

<< 1   >>

join