It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asylum seeker boat capsizes north of Christmas Island

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Asylum seeker boat capsizes north of Christmas Island

www.news.com.au

RESCUERS have picked up 110 survivors from an asylum seeker boat that capsized on its way to Australia from Sri Lanka with up to 200 people on board.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
in my opinion the labor government of australia has blood on its hands.

it has spent the last couple of year doing everything it could to encourage asylum seekers. the liberal party had almost stopped this practice by not allowing asylum seekers to reach australia with their policy of offshore processing at naru and refusing to grant any illegal residency.

then in comes labor, throws that out the window and the boats start coming. "a few millions" was the yearly cost for border protection in the last year of the liberal government. since labor came to power this figure has risen to 4.7 BILLION in the last 3 years.

here is a snippet from the SMH....

."The most disturbing aspect of this comprehensive debacle is the cost. According to the budget papers for the past four years, the annual expenditure on asylum-seeker management was a few million dollars in 2007-08. It exploded to $100 million in 2008-09, then $300 million the following year, then $900 million last year, then to a projected $1.1 billion-plus in this financial year.

The total direct cost over the past three years is about $2.3 billion, a time of about 16,000 boat people arrivals, which equates to $139,000 per asylum seeker processed.

That figure is high enough, but Morrison estimates the real cost is much higher - almost twice as high: $4.7 billion during the past three years. He cites budget figures and estimates which include the full administrative and security costs of running the border security program.

Read more: www.smh.com.au...

the immigration facilities are now so full, the government are paying australians to keep them at their own homes.

www.news.com.au (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2012 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jun 21 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
at $10,000 for every family member paid to people smugglers....these people are NOT refugees. they are simply looking to immigrate to another country and doing it through the back door. once they arrive, with no papers, they are provided with money, free dental, legal, medical, ipods, phone card to ring home and tell others, cigerettes and the list just goes on and on and on.

with announcements everyday of job losses, a crippling housing bubble, families being forced onto the streets with the rising cost of rent and no job, its no wonder most of us are upset that we cant afford to get smuggled into our own country for the bloody benefits.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Go the Rabbitt's,

Can I ask a question but, lately all you hear about is the influx of boats and how Howard stopped them.

What exactly did Howard do?

Do you think we should open the borders and allow them to work and live? or should we turn them back?

Are we not large enough to accomodate people?

Personally I havent figured out my opinion on the matter yet.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

I kinda liked the old prime minister who gave them food and sent them on there way.
No to asylum seekers !

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Turn them back why always britain or australia because britain got welfare free hospital..
I am fed up with them coming over and scamming and going top of the lists of everything
Facts..I know it is my job to i know all there scams!...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Yes you are right! these people aren't like you and me they are natuaral barterers money mad
possesed people..Fact. They are brought up that way plus it is in there blood.I have been amongst
them worked for them they are the tightest people i have ever met.Even a penny they get tight.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Go the Rabbitt's,

Can I ask a question but, lately all you hear about is the influx of boats and how Howard stopped them.

What exactly did Howard do?

Do you think we should open the borders and allow them to work and live? or should we turn them back?

Are we not large enough to accomodate people?

Personally I havent figured out my opinion on the matter yet.

good question. what john howard did was to pay the small island nation of naru to house these people. they were not allowed on australian soil. this was because they all destroy their papers before they got here and therefore when they were found to be not of good character (criminals) they could not use our court systems to get another four years here while they appealed and cost the tax payers millions per asylum seekers in legal bills.

when labor came into power, there were i think 6 people on naru waiting for approval. kevin rudd said it was inhumane and the boats started almost straight away. i think at last count there has been about 16 thousand arrive so far this year.

these are not like the vietnamese that arrived 20 years ago. they were fleeing a sure death in rickety boats with bloody nothing. they didnt have 2 dimes to rub together. these days they are getting of the boats in designer jeans and sunglasses and asking were is their house.

edit on 21-6-2012 by bellagirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

They also dodge tax hahah yes more facts..
Anyone in england seeking a home from the council has been put
to the bottom of the list i was told 35yrs till i get my own place so i got a job.
But they get a place within a month where is the justice in that.A ex girlfriend
who worked for the council says we have to give them what they want otherwise
they use the race card.They are not civilized like us it is different over there where
they rape steal with no police to stop them,silly government lets them in wtf.

Nothing comes up on the system because there is no record as there is no police
catching them.Then they are all on the tv for raping and mugging with 5%
of white people another fact for you.They are sex mad and in there country
they take the woman beat the woman have sex with the woman.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
MORE! and no women amongst them,sleeper cells comming in,paranoid i might be but there seems to be less women/kids these days trying to get here 99% of them are male18-30 with no id,/ and our stupid gov let them come..

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

The distance from Sri Lanka to Australia appears to be at least several thousand miles. From what I've seen of some of the immigrant boats that make the news they are usually overcrowded, therefore also unsanitary and sometimes barely seaworthy. I would offer someone help that had made such a journey regardless of their legal status in my country.
I would also hope that should I somehow find myself in the same situation that a complete stranger might, ever so hopefully speaking, do the same for me, simply because he could.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyeinoz
MORE! and no women amongst them,sleeper cells comming in,paranoid i might be but there seems to be less women/kids these days trying to get here 99% of them are male18-30 with no id,/ and our stupid gov let them come..

i dont agree with "sleeper cell" comment. the reason behind this is that once there is one person here who gets residency status, they can then bring all family members over here legally through the family reunion program.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by denver22

The distance from Sri Lanka to Australia appears to be at least several thousand miles. From what I've seen of some of the immigrant boats that make the news they are usually overcrowded, therefore also unsanitary and sometimes barely seaworthy. I would offer someone help that had made such a journey regardless of their legal status in my country.
I would also hope that should I somehow find myself in the same situation that a complete stranger might, ever so hopefully speaking, do the same for me, simply because he could.

dont get me wrong. i am not completely heartless. i think the sri lankans are coming from different circumstances to what the middle eastern's are who make up the majority of boat people.

but....in times when australians are finding it more and more difficult to find work, housing and being slugged with more taxes to pay, it just gets a little hard to take.

i have no objections to bringing in people who are displaced, living in refugee camps on 1 meal a day. they are true refugees. if you can afford to pay $10,000 to a people smuggler to jump the queue, then these others have no chance what so ever. they dont even have 10 cents.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Bella girl i flagged and starred because i like this thread .
I worked for 15 yrs amongst them and none none will give you the
A dime.I have witnessed them admitting that it is a dog eat dog world
and there purpose is to take britain up on its offer and bring the families over
As the government have to by law give them a house.My auntie still works in housing
and she is told to put them all on the top of the list while everyone else waits up
two 35 yrs wtf.If i told you all the truth your blood would boil way way over .

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Sort your own country out then when everyone is housed and secure then i mean then
Let some in .My country is in turmoil people on the streets homless because all the places
go to asylum seekers who out of 100 only 5% are genuine.Enough soft britain the world laughs
at you.Australia bring back howard and send them back before it is to late.

Parasites scroungers rapists unchecked murderers money orientated
people which derives on the money side of things from the genetic code.
Another fact.

"Sort our own peoples needs out first"

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Yes i know i agree about 5% however like you say they have money the 95% and like to bypass other countries and come to good old england or australia. Go somewhere else.

Also my personal favourite -- if you were a asylum seeker running from a hail of bullets
would you not be happy with a bedsit ? ooh no these suckers like to go for a house and
demand soft britain for it or else lol..Go to france ooh i forgot they like britains free welfare and health
Maybe send there families over and get free health make some money extort taxes etc..

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

It's a tough issue to decide on. You feel obligated as a human being to show compassion and sympathy for these people who are mostly escaping a dire fate. Australia is a relatively rich and prosperous nation and it seems like the right thing to do is take these people in so they can experience a better life.

Unfortunately, it is not that simple though. By not having a strong border protection policy, the number of asylum seekers choosing Australia as their destination will sky-rocket as well as the people smuggler industry. Australia is a large country in terms of landmass, but much of the land is desert land and uninhabitable for the average person. Also legal immigration levels are very high and infrastructure and resources are already being pushed to their limits as it is.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Turn them back why always britain or australia because britain got welfare free hospital..
I am fed up with them coming over and scamming and going top of the lists of everything
Facts..I know it is my job to i know all there scams!...

Completely agree with you mate!!

Why do we Anglo nations have to take them in? Why can't they fix their own sh*t holes of nations instead of trying to live with the white man>?

I'm sad that more didn't drown to be honest.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital Why do we Anglo nations have to take them in? Why can't they fix their own sh*t holes of nations instead of trying to live with the white man>?

Yes and why do they seem to flock it seems in abundance to the anglo nations.
Also in england we have in portsmouth 1000 taxis in a four mile city with a population
of 400 thousand people and 80% of crime comes from them.They do not even get criminal
checked over here when they get the taxi job,they rip you off 90% of them and there has been
many a rape from them and not one anglo taxi driver..they moan about a penny and wont let
you pay later wtf.Only thing i respect is there ability to barter however they are a dog eat
dog society, i have spent half my life amongst them in various jobs and they want you to
work for peanuts and do favours and give none in return.They openly admit in the mosques
that it is there way and that we are weak to give to the poor, we are weak not to take for
ourselfs we are weak in keeping pets.I do not wan't anymore in as the anglo nations
treat their own people appaulingly .They claim and sign on the dole and work.
They get tax free loans from social security while we have to pay them back,bear in mind
they can claim tax free loans they dont have to pay back every year wtf.If i had one i would
have to pay it all back,now that is not fair.

5% if you are lucky are ok however their loyalties lie in money
There is loads of money for them to earn over in the anglo nations
and compared to their laws its a sinch my sister cannot get a place at school
why is my country men on the streets for? solotion

Sort our own out before we sort others.I dont let my family starve to give to
strangers i put them first then give something to others..

Sort your own out first simple then it stops racism simple simon

edit on 22-6-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
These people are not asylum seekers, get that through all your thick heads....

If they were seriously seekign asylym they would be going to the nearest country that is safe next to theirs....which they are not doing.

They are nothing more than ilegal immigrants and good riddens if their ships sink in my opinion because they shouldnt be here and they know the dangers.

Real asylum seekers seek refuge neearest to their homelands. Not halfway across the bloody world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join