It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel really stupid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Ive been going to the drudge report site for quite a few years and I always wondered why it looked different sometimes.
Usually when I go to the site, ill just type "drudge" in the address bar and let autocomplete handle the rest.
Sometimes though, it would take me to a site that looked very familiar to drudge report but the had subtle changes, not to mention the stories it linked to, seemed to contrast with what a so called "right wing" site would have on it.

So, today, while bored at work, I went to drudge, and noticed, for the first freaking time, it said Drudge RETORT, instead of REPORT.
So, I think that maybe its a mirror site or a kind of "sub" site for drudge but I decided to google it anyway and read this.

WiKi

In addition to the media influence, Drudge Report also has influenced design elements on other sites. Some with opposing view points [61] and some who use the same format of listing news. A left-leaning[62] parody site called Drudge RETORT was founded in 1998 as "a send-up of Mr. Drudge's breathless style".[63][64][65] According to the Newspaper Marketing Agency online analytics data for April 2010, the Drudge Report is the number one site referrer to all online UK commercial newspaper websites.[66] [edit]Archives

So yea, I really feel like the biggest dumbass on the internets

edit on 20-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You are not alone....
The insane idiocy of the things I have done concerning the internet and the pc in general are too numerous to list to be sure. It's normal idiocy so be comforted!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
You are not alone....
The insane idiocy of the things I have done concerning the internet and the pc in general are too numerous to list to be sure. It's normal idiocy so be comforted!

Lol.. but ive worked in IT for 15 years, how I missed something so glaringly obvious just boggles the mind

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
You are not alone....

Lol.. but ive worked in IT for 15 years, how I missed something so glaringly obvious just boggles the mind

makes one wonder what other goodies you've missed in your life as well.

sorry just had to go there lol..

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Haha, man, I dont even wanna think about it

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Well hey look at it this way. Now you have a balanced view of things.

By the way if you ever come across a news website called The Onion, it's not a real news site.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

It's good to hear you IT guys talking like that... I am not one of you, I'm an electrical engineer... and while a lot of people think that my training sort of overlaps what you guys do, that's not true at all. I'm older for one thing, and I didn't grow up with computers. So when I see all you young IT guys at my work going around fixing stuff when it goes down and so on I kind of feel like "man, those guys are on the ball". I never see any of them let their guard down and say anything like "oh, I didn't notice that" or "I wasn't aware of that". It makes me feel better because that's the same exact kind of stuff I miss myself!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Yet in time you did notice.Something last week
that was "glaring obvious"came to my attention.I used those same words and also wondered what else I was missing.pride myself on attention to detail
and seeing things most others miss.Oh well...my first steps toward dementia.Should be a interesting ride.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
lol

funny story bro

I misread your story at first but now I get it, haha
edit on 20-6-2012 by BoyMeetsWorldATS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Yea but remember, if it wasnt for you guys, we wouldnt have power to run the switches that connect those Idiot end users to the inter/intranet, lol.
Electricity scares the hell outa me. I started out as a Telephone Tech in the early 90's. Basic land line phones run off of a battery at the Central Office, that generates 48 volts DC, which is nothing I know but it would always make me jump when I would touch a live phone connection.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Yeah, I know, but I have a healthy respect for what you guys do too. And I used to be scared of electricity, or I should say I still am, but have learned to be cautious.

Oh, and 48V is plenty of potential to kill you with enough current going through your body. And the current isn't that much, I forget now, but it's in mA not amps.
edit on 6/20/2012 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

Yeah, I know, but I have a healthy respect for what you guys do too. And I used to be scared of electricity, or I should say I still am, but have learned to be cautious.

Oh, and 48V is plenty of potential to kill you with enough current going through your body. And the current isn't that much, I forget now, but it's in mA not amps.
edit on 6/20/2012 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

I was always told that it isnt the volts that will kill you but the amps, unless of course it happens to affect the rhythm of your hearbeat but im no expert lol.
I stll remember the biggest shock Ive ever gotten. Was working as a maintenance man at a condo my dad managed and forgot to unplug an oven that I was working on.. HOLY CRAP, 220 V hurts like hell

Scorched my hand too

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Don't feel bad. You're just human, we all have those moments. Here, have some coffee and cookies.

That always makes me feel better....

Des

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Yeah, that's right, as I said above. Current (amps) is what kills you technically, but it takes a potential difference (voltage) to cause current flow. The higher voltage, the more potential for current flow. But as I said, it only takes a few thousandths of an amp (mA) to kill you if it goes through your heart. I forget the number now.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

I have a funny for you

We bought a century old historic home and have been restoring and repairing. We had a lot of electrical probs and called out an electrician that specializes in historic homes.. as there are a lot in this area. He showed us that the idiots who lived here last used an EXTENSION CORD wire with the ends cut off to wire in something or another. He said.. and I quote: The scariest thing about electricity is that it almost always works.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

That's funny, or scary... I live in an almost century old house too. I've been fixing stuff that's been rigged over the years ever since I moved in over 10 years ago. Fortunately, a previous owner had an electrician come in to put a new panel in at some point, but there is still one circuit on the old knob and tube setup. I don't know if you've seen that, but it's kind of scary too. I want to get around to replacing that one day...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

That's funny, or scary... I live in an almost century old house too. I've been fixing stuff that's been rigged over the years ever since I moved in over 10 years ago. Fortunately, a previous owner had an electrician come in to put a new panel in at some point, but there is still one circuit on the old knob and tube setup. I don't know if you've seen that, but it's kind of scary too. I want to get around to replacing that one day...

Oh yeah, we had the whole thing re-run and redone which we almost had to sell one of the kids to afford. We had a mishmash of wires to the fusebox.. I have a pic on the other computer of the before pic of the box... frightening!
Keep those old fuses, some crazy people actually look for them on ebay! We call this house the money pit. the first 5 yrs we put I know 30K into it to make it livable.. but thats an entire thread all by itself.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

So I'm not the only one who has sunk enormous amounts of money into a money pit, er, home, huh? And now I find myself in the position of owing too much on it... oh well...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Don't feel bad, IT people are human too, we all make mistakes, just some do it more than others. I know you must've felt stupid at the time you discovered it, I would've too.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

lmao yea but it went on for years. Did EVERYONE else in here know that these were two different sites?
I just cant believe that I missed something like that, maybe for a short time but not for several years

new topics

top topics

join