It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Jon Stewart Skewers Fox News For Using Edited Obama Video To Criticize Immigration Policy

page: 4
26
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish
 


Just went back and re-re-read it.

Looks like double speak to me.

I can't do it this way, but can that way...........

Selective Enforcement of the Laws. No way around it.




posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Didn't go around Congress, didn't change the law. Just decided to focus his limited resources on the most egregious offenders. I guess that you'd prefer that your local police dept. spend it's resources chasing down jay-walkers as opposed to murderers and rapist etc...



Yes, but he's not really doing that. He isn't shifting resources towards other illegal immigration. To say he is, is being disingenuous. We have a huge Homeland Security apparatus now that we don't use to fight illegal immigration, it's not a resource issue, don't make it sound like it is. It is what it is, Election Year pandering.

Do you really think the Obama Administration really wants to enforce our immigration laws? Their track record is just the opposite.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by Flatfish

Didn't go around Congress, didn't change the law. Just decided to focus his limited resources on the most egregious offenders. I guess that you'd prefer that your local police dept. spend it's resources chasing down jay-walkers as opposed to murderers and rapist etc...



Yes, but he's not really doing that. He isn't shifting resources towards other illegal immigration. To say he is, is being disingenuous. We have a huge Homeland Security apparatus now that we don't use to fight illegal immigration, it's not a resource issue, don't make it sound like it is. It is what it is, Election Year pandering.

Do you really think the Obama Administration really wants to enforce our immigration laws? Their track record is just the opposite.


Yeah, well maybe you'd like to provide some documentation of your assertion regarding his track record on deporting illegals. Go ahead and look it up, I think your going to be surprised. Here's a good place to start;

abcnews.go.com...

Since 2009, the annual average number of deportations has approached 400,000, according to the Department of Homeland Security. That’s double the annual average during President George W. Bush’s first term and 30 percent higher than the average when he left office.


I guess that you think just because you say it makes it true. You apparently suffer from the same delusional affliction as those people running Fox News.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish
 


Exactly what resources is the Obama Administration shifting? I'm just curious.

Are you denying that this is election year pandering???

I don't claim that either party really wants to do anything about illegal immigration, btw.

Your numbers are an estimate, the latest estimate from ICE was actually 310,000. You know how Governments like to inflate their estimates...


edit on 21-6-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish
 


I found a handful of immigration related executive orders by Bush 1 & 2 plus Reagan...thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-6-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
reply to post by PvtHudson
 


Jon Stewart has more truth in his little finger than Fox News has in their entire corporation.


You cannot be serious!? Jon Stewart?? He causes some serious COPREMESIS because of his BUNCOMBES !



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Jon Stewart Skewers Fox News For Using Edited Obama Video To Criticize Immigration Policy

When is he going to start 'skewering' MSNBC for selectively editing video to make Zimmerman look like a racist? When is he going to start 'skewering' MSNBC for selectively editing Rick Perry and Mitt Romney video? Jon Stewart is a funny guy, but he's partisan and not a news source. I wish he'd be balanced, then the show would be great.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
Originally posted by hp1229

edit on 21-6-2012 by hp1229 because: add content



Jon Stewart uses humor to point out the hypocrisy sometimes displayed by both, politicians and the news media. IMO, he follows the hypocrisy wherever it may lead regardless of political affiliation. It's not his fault that it's the GOP/TP who's constantly offering up the most hypocritical material, it's just in their nature.
Agree that comedy is the way to get serious. However I am not too sure that its the GOP/TP constantly offering up the most hypocritical meterial.


Regarding your statement that Fox News is no worse than the other media outlets; Nothing could be further from the truth! Furthermore, how would you know if you never watch them?
Lets put it this way that I have channel surfed my fair share for a long time since the 80's until you grasp their drift. I read up on whatever I can on the internet using multiple outlets and not just a single source.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish
 


All fox news has done is what MSNBC has turned into an art form. besides you cannot say Stewart doesn't do the same thing, even if its just to get laughs

There have even been people here on ATS who have mislead to get a point across.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish
 


Interesting you consider Stewart a News source to begin with. What a disgusting vile person. He appeals to the bottom of the barrel of society.

I think the real story is that Obama is usurping the role of Congress and not just Obama as Bush and others have done this also. This trend of Presidents pretending they have legal power to sidestep another Branch of government is scary to say the least.

Laying the partisan madness aside, if this practice by both parties does not bother someone, it's because their candidate is in office. It's OK if your side cheats and not OK when the other side does the exact same thing. The future of our country is not a sporting event and every time our laws are played with like this, we all loose.

Both sides know that by dividing people they can pretty much violate their oaths at will and many voters are so naive they play along with it. They even turn to someone like Stewart for news which I find deeply disturbing. The dumbing down of America seems to be progressing nicely.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
It was more than just a "simple" majority that wasn't allowed to legislate. It was a majority in all three branches of government!


Yes...all three have to work together. Rather than an extreme agenda from the Republicans in the House -- they have to pit themselves against the Democrat held senate. Both sides are deadlocked. Bills are making there way out of the House to be shot down, dead in committee or don't see the light of day for a floor vote. I am fine with that.

The same with the Senate. They come up with their agenda and it gets the same treatment. Until they can bring some moderate and sensible bills to the floor, I say keep it deadlocked.


I think that when all three branches of government are captured by one political party, most would consider that a "mandate" for that brand of legislation. But Nooooooooooo, the GOP/TP members of the Senate made a conscious decision to obstruct any and all legislation via the radicalization of the filibuster process, in essence destroying the concept that the majority rules in a democratic society.


Good again! The Federal structure isn't a "majority" rule concept. Maybe you should read some of the Federalist Papers to better explain the design of the Federal government and Federalism in whole. Majority rule was fought against and Federalism still has a slight foothold to hold back the onslaught of "majority rule".



It now takes a "super-majority" of 60 votes to get anything passed in the Senate, that's why the Dream Act failed in Dec. of 2010 with a vote of 55 in favor & 41 opposed. It doesn't matter that there's a 14 vote spread, it's now the "41" that has become the magic number in every vote, at least as far as the GOP/TP in the Senate is concerned. Once they achieve 41 out of 100 votes, they have insured that their opposition cannot attain a filibuster-proof super-majority, thereby stopping all legislation via pure obstructionism on the part of the minority.


The president had his opportunity with his "filibuster-proof" legislature and he blew it all on the health care law. You need to educate yourself on Federalism, separation of powers and how the legislature works.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

The president had his opportunity with his "filibuster-proof" legislature and he blew it all on the health care law. You need to educate yourself on Federalism, separation of powers and how the legislature works.



The President never enjoyed a filibuster-proof majority, that's just a lie that you and every other crazy assed right winger would like to have us believe. You sir are the one who needs to be educated.

I fully understand the separation of powers and I know very well how the legislature works, you on the other hand seem to live in some make believe world where you make crap up to support your vision and then call them facts. You're not Rupert Murdoch are you?



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Interesting you consider Stewart a News source to begin with. What a disgusting vile person. He appeals to the bottom of the barrel of society.


Did you hear any other "news" source reporting this story? NO!
Was the story indeed factual? YES!
Look, no one said you had to like the man and it's your right not to but to state that he only appeals to the bottom of the barrel of society is just blatantly false. The bottom of the barrel in american society would be the GOP/TP and they can't stand him.



Originally posted by Blaine91555
I think the real story is that Obama is usurping the role of Congress and not just Obama as Bush and others have done this also. This trend of Presidents pretending they have legal power to sidestep another Branch of government is scary to say the least.

Laying the partisan madness aside, if this practice by both parties does not bother someone, it's because their candidate is in office. It's OK if your side cheats and not OK when the other side does the exact same thing. The future of our country is not a sporting event and every time our laws are played with like this, we all loose.

Both sides know that by dividing people they can pretty much violate their oaths at will and many voters are so naive they play along with it. They even turn to someone like Stewart for news which I find deeply disturbing. The dumbing down of America seems to be progressing nicely.


That may be the "real story" for you but it's not the topic of this thread. I would suggest that maybe you should start your own thread focusing on your "real story." Oh wait, several others already beat you to it!



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoonyConservative
reply to post by Flatfish
 


All fox news has done is what MSNBC has turned into an art form. besides you cannot say Stewart doesn't do the same thing, even if its just to get laughs

There have even been people here on ATS who have mislead to get a point across.


What Fox News has done is all that Fox News does, which is to lie, lie, lie...... They have gone to court to defend their right to do so! MSNBC does nothing of the kind and on the rare occasion when mistakes are made, they issue timely retractions, something that Fox News never does.

Jon Stewart on the other hand is a comedian and is therefore, allowed to do so.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Jon Stewart Skewers Fox News For Using Edited Obama Video To Criticize Immigration Policy

When is he going to start 'skewering' MSNBC for selectively editing video to make Zimmerman look like a racist? When is he going to start 'skewering' MSNBC for selectively editing Rick Perry and Mitt Romney video? Jon Stewart is a funny guy, but he's partisan and not a news source. I wish he'd be balanced, then the show would be great.


Zimmerman is a racist! You don't have to watch MSNBC to figure that out, just listen to the 46 calls he made to 911 from 2004 up to the day of the shooting. They ooze with racism.

www.thedailybeast.com...

Selective editing is something that all news media outlets do in order to get their point across in a limited amount of time. There's a big difference when that editing is done deliberately to fabricate and propagate a bald faced lie, which is what Fox News does for a living.

Jon Stewart is indeed a funny guy and yes, somewhat partisan. On the other hand, I have seen him ridicule MSNBC, CNN and others when the shoe fits, so it's not like he refuses to point out their faults. It's just that the GOP/TP are the ones who are continually offering up the best material. If they weren't such assholes, maybe they wouldn't continually end up in the spotlight.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by Flatfish
 


I found a handful of immigration related executive orders by Bush 1 & 2 plus Reagan...thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...


Yeah, I'm well aware that other Presidents did the same thing. It's just when Obama does it, he becomes the antichrist, sinner to beat all sinners etc...

edit on 21-6-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by Flatfish
 


Exactly what resources is the Obama Administration shifting? I'm just curious.

Are you denying that this is election year pandering???

I don't claim that either party really wants to do anything about illegal immigration, btw.

Your numbers are an estimate, the latest estimate from ICE was actually 310,000. You know how Governments like to inflate their estimates...


edit on 21-6-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)


I'm sorry but I thought you were the poster who mentioned that we now had a Homeland Security Dept. which could handle all the illegal immigration needs and that the idea of focusing limited resources was a load of crap.

Well bust my buttons, It Was You!

Now that I post the figures originating from Homeland Security, they are suddenly unreliable "estimates" and we should turn to ICE figures for a more accurate count. WHAT A JOKE!!!



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
What Fox News has done is all that Fox News does, which is to lie, lie, lie...... They have gone to court to defend their right to do so! MSNBC does nothing of the kind and on the rare occasion when mistakes are made, they issue timely retractions, something that Fox News never does.

Jon Stewart on the other hand is a comedian and is therefore, allowed to do so.


You are giving MSNBC a free ride IMO. Call em all the time if you are going to call them. MSNBC does things just as bad, if not worse, than Fox does. I know Fox does it, I also know MSNBC does it.

While you and I may think people don't actually get their news from a show such as Stewart's....never underestimate the American public.


A poll released earlier this year by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found that 21 percent of people aged 18 to 29 cited "The Daily Show" and "Saturday Night Live" as a place where they regularly learned presidential campaign news.

www.cbsnews.com...


Nearly one-third of Americans under the age of 40 say satirical news-oriented television programs like The Colbert Report and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart are taking the place of traditional news outlets.
Thirty-two percent (32%) of adults ages 30-39 believe this to be true, while 42% disagree, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.
Thirty percent (30%) of those ages 18-29 say programs like the two Comedy Central shows that feature news reports with a comic twist are replacing traditional news outlets, but 35% disagree and another 35% are not sure.



www.ihatethemedia.com... nger-americans-get-their-news-from-satirical-sources



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

I'm sorry but I thought you were the poster who mentioned that we now had a Homeland Security Dept. which could handle all the illegal immigration needs and that the idea of focusing limited resources was a load of crap.

Well bust my buttons, It Was You!

Now that I post the figures originating from Homeland Security, they are suddenly unreliable "estimates" and we should turn to ICE figures for a more accurate count. WHAT A JOKE!!!


Hey there...take a deep breath. I.C.E. is "part" of the Dept of Homeland Security. The ABC article you reference most probably refers to the ICE chart I posted. I merely state that that chart shows an current estimate of 310,000 which I guess rounds to in your world 400,000.

You do realize that I.C.E. is the part of the Department of Homeland Security, right?

Hey...... I found a button, wonder who lost it?

Also if you take the claim of that number being more that twice the average of the Bush Era as they do in the article... it doesn't add up. The Bush Era average is 251,454.
edit on 21-6-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
I think I am going to be sick. They need to regulate our news and make it to where you can not knowingly lie to your viewers while presenting the lies as fact, not even on pundit shows.

Someone needs to do SOMETHING.






All they need to do is bring back "The Fairness Doctrine"!
But Republicans have vowed, that will NEVER happen...

What are they so afraid of?
I honestly would like to know!

I sure miss the good old days, when news was worth watching...




top topics



 
26
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join