It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is wrong with religious thinking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
On a recent vacation I came across a very large sign on the side of the road that I just had to stop and take a picture of to share with everyone on ATS. This sign was the size of a billboard directly in plain sight of the main interstate.

To me, this is one of the most obvious misuses of religion that I have come across. It's one thing to support and encourage others to become interested in your religion, but quite another to use scare tactics to frighten people with "the devil" to try to convince people that their views are right.

This sign is in view of small children passing it on their way to vacation and other happy things. Do we really need to live in a world where we feel we should place frightening images and statements in open view, and expose the most impressionable people, our children, to negative things that are only based on personal opinion?

"Church" and "The Devil" are a part of only some religions, and even some within those religions have different views on those things. Instead of trying to frighten people into their beliefs using negative images and words, is it not more productive to show the positive side of their beliefs? Why would I, or anyone else, wish to "go to church" or become part of a belief system that condones and supports the spreading of a negative message?

Times are hard enough in today's world, and the mysteries of the universe are confusing enough without people such as the ones that placed this sign near one of the busiest roads thru the area, attempting to scare people with words and images.

If you want to show someone the power of your beliefs, it should be done with love, not fear.
edit on 20-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
was this sign in a southern state?

I find it to be too "in your face".

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Is it any wonder they put signs like this up? Lets face facts...churches are money spinners...have you never noticed that there is always a collection going round during the service? The pastor/minister needs a decent wage...

Its just like selling things, except people are reeled in by the fear.

My opinion, if you want to find the creator...find it yourself, don't run to church because fear!!!!
edit on 20/6/12 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

Yes it was...It was in Southern Alabama. I also find it a little too much in your face. There are just better ways to spead your message, or beliefs. I'm not really surprised by something like this, just more disappointed that our world hasn't moved past such limited thinking.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

you're right. the church I attend used to pass the basket once during a mass. now they pass it twice. it's a bit much.

as far as this sign is concerned, i'm pretty tired of the scare tactic approach to bringing religion to the people.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I think your dead on. The spiritual side of life shouldn't be about money, but about love and understanding of our place in the universe. I have never understand why any religious organization would need to "ask" for money. If it's important enough to the people, they will make whatever is needed happen without the pressure of worrying if the person next to you saw how much money you put into the plate this week.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Something is wrong with religious thinking? I can think of many things wrong with religious thinking, but there is no reason to drag them all out right now.As far as the sign goes, it's called indoctrination by fear or guilt. Used liberally by most religions. As a matter of fact, the whole idea of follow or go to hell is based on this principle.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I can't stand religion...but I LOVE that sign. It's a kitsch work of art!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The only people who go to 'hell'
Are those that believe hell exists in the afterlife, or have some latent belief in that religious system.

There are lots of people with NDE's that express that they actually went to 'hell', but there are far more ones that have nothing to do with religion. Im sure if you looked into these peoples history you would find that there is some sort of religious aspect in their lives, especially for signs like this "Do this or your going to HELL!!!!!1?11!111!11!one!!", when you're constantly thinking about hell every sunday for years and years and years, when you die, your conciousness makes your beliefs your reality,

If you have done something and believe that you are a sinner, then your conciousness will create the reality for you, while on the other hand most people just feel at peace, or in heaven of some kind.

thinking that there is an all seeing god that is exterior to us and somehow finds joy in torturing human beings in the afterlife, then that is no god. If your god wishes you to get on your knees and pray to him, worship him, then he is no god. God does not -care- what we do here, what hat you wear during mass, or what food you eat or don't. We are all god, and god is all of us. Etc etc etc.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

That's exactly why something is wrong with religious thinking. When guilt and fear are the most powerful tools to gather the support of others, it's a real sign of something wrong as a whole. I know this is nothing new, and is as old as religion itself, but it's really time to move forward in the world, and get rid of such thinking. You would think that we as humans would have figured that out by now, but sadly we have not, and have a long way to go.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
PAY TAXES OR GO TO JAIL

GO TO CHURCH OR GO TO HELL

THINK LIKE US OR DIE

Seems about right to me...end sarcasm.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Most religious people share a few common traits with schizophrenics.

If the churches dont scare people into attending, they lose money and control over the daily lives of the peons.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
That sign is a historical landmark and has been there since the 80's.

It should be no more offensive to anyone than if it were to have read.....an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Apples are good for you (and delicious) but they won't absolutely keep you from seeing a doc.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SolaFide

that's very open-minded of you.

people shouldn't be assaulted by other people's beliefs.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

But is fear really the most efficient way to get the people in the pews? I know that personally, it's their scare tactics that would keep me away from them. If they want to get me in the seats, all they would have to do is offer some free food and I'm there.
...but seriously, I really think that more people would be receptive to their ideas if instead of frightening people with damnation, religions focused more on the benifits of their faiths. Of course, not all churches and religions behave in a manner such as whoever put up the sign, but it's shocking how few are out there that take those roads compared to those that choose the path of fear.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." 1 Peter 5:8-9

Considering that many churches are filled with false teachers and false prophets, I'd say that the sign got it only half right.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

There is some graffiti painted on some bridges around my parts that is pretty offensive as well, and has been there since the 80's. Should those be declared historical landmarks as well? Just because something has been around for a little while doesn't mean that it's historically important.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

There is some graffiti painted on some bridges around my parts that is pretty offensive as well, and has been there since the 80's. Should those be declared historical landmarks as well? Just because something has been around for a little while doesn't mean that it's historically important.

I don't claim that it is historically important. It has however become a historical landmark that has been there for over 20 years, absent the time it was used as a different ADVERTISEMENT on occasion.

Which is exactly what it is from day 1.

If it said NIKE, would you have an issue? How about if it said......YOU NEED A NEW PAIR OF SHOES.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

If a sign said: "Wear Nike shoes, or the Devil will get you" then there might be a comparison. There's a HUGE difference there. Sure, the sign is religious advertising, but if any other type of advertising was using fear to promote their "product", I would have the same reaction.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd
Most religious people share a few common traits with schizophrenics.

If the churches dont scare people into attending, they lose money and control over the daily lives of the peons.

Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder (or a group of disorders) marked by severely impaired thinking, emotions, and behaviors. Schizophrenic patients are typically unable to filter sensory stimuli and may have enhanced perceptions of sounds, colors, and other features of their environment.

So please tell me what you see in every nation who has descendants of Christians?

Overflowing prisons
Increasing rates of rapes, murders, child abductions
Babies slaughtered freely by the scalpel and millions demanding the right to do it
Neighbourhoods with bars on windows and doors
No go zones in multiple cities
Children taught that they descend from apes
Occultism taught and encouraged on kids tv shows
Millions now convinced that ETs created us instead of the God of our forefathers
Violence and bloodshed glorified
Mass murders, increasing suicides, exploding mental illness
Rampant drug addiction

I'd say that anyone who cannot see the cause of all this, or who blame it on those who put their Faith in God, would better fit the definition of schizophrenia. It's a mental break with reality when people fight FOR these ills yet can't sit down and learn from their grandparents about a life when nobody locked their front door, when kids walked to school and when parents didn't worry about their kids being peddled drugs or coming home pregnant at 13.
Only then will this generation stop and ask themselves "What changed"? It's called the beast's religion......which, if carefully noted, includes every religion and occult practice EXCEPT CHRIST JESUS.

HUMANISM - man sitting in the temple of god proclaiming himself to be god

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join