It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is wrong with religious thinking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
How do you know it isn't an atheist billboard ?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

An athiest doesn't exactly believe in the importance of a church, nor the existence of the devil.

What is it that would lead you to think that it could be an atheist billboard?...just curious.

...after a moment of thought, I could see what you mean. It could be pointing out the "scare tactics" that churches use to illustrate a point, but I highly doubt that was the purpose of the sign. Typically any signs put up by atheist pointing things like this out that I've seen, are a little more clear as to the intent of the sign.
edit on 20-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I'll agree but it is a bit vague.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
How do you know it isn't an atheist billboard ?

Only a religious person could think up something that stupid.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Well that was cognitive avalanche.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by SolaFide

If a sign said: "Wear Nike shoes, or the Devil will get you" then there might be a comparison. There's a HUGE difference there. Sure, the sign is religious advertising, but if any other type of advertising was using fear to promote their "product", I would have the same reaction.

Even though I think that "go to church" ad is lame, I also find it amusing. In the same fashion, I would find an ad "Wear Nike shoes, or the Devil will get you" equally amusing. That leads me to believe that you have an already negative bias to that specific "product".

Do you really believe that if you don't go to church the devil will get you?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Of course I'm biased against this "product". I wouldn't dislike the sign, nor start the thread if I didn't. I just think that it's thinking like this in religions that keep me away from them. I'm a very spiritual person, with many, varied beliefs, but I've never seen religions to be something that was a positive influence on me. I don't need ANY building to practice what I believe in, and I don't need the social aspect of religion to feel comfort in them. I've read the sacred texts of many religions and have found some truths in them, but words are not religions. I'm always willing to discuss what I think and feel, but try to never push my beliefs on someone else, or scare someone with them, and this is what this sign is trying to do. My reason to start a thread on this topic is not to push my beliefs on anyone, but to show that there are positive and negative ways to deal with matters of spirituality.

...and to answer the question: No, I don't believe in the Devil, so I'm not too worried about not going to church for that reason.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It is a sign. That is all it is.

Some will go into that place, and some will turn into KFC down the road.

It isn't religious thinking.

Just a sign.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathbecomesLife

Yes, it's a sign, but it is religious thinking that placed it there.

It took a conscious thought driven by religious motivations to place it there for a desired effect.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Yes, it's a sign, but it is religious thinking that placed it there. It took a conscious thought driven by religious motivations to place it there.

It is religious thinking which placed it there.

Religious thinking is thought of God.

God placed the sign there...

It is a sign from GOD!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

So using that logic, if I place a sign in my front yard facing the road that says "God hates everyone of you, and wants you to suffer", it's "God" that placed it there?

Sorry, but God had nothing to do with erecting the sign, just like God would have nothing to do with it if I put a sign in my front yard.

It's a decision made by humans...(and no I would never erect a sign like I stated, nor is it any part of my beliefs...I'm just illustrating my point)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

So using that logic, if I place a sign in my front yard facing the road that says "God hates everyone of you, and wants you to suffer", it's "God" that placed it there?

Sorry, but God had nothing to do with erecting the sign, just like God would have nothing to do with it if I put a sign in my front yard.

God is not you.

God is I.

God does hate everyone of you.

But, God loves I.

So, if I put a sign in the front yard, then yes, it is from God.

You cannot put a sign any where.

You is powerless.

Only I can do anything because God is I.

Who typed that silly message above in the quotes anyway?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Of course I'm biased against this "product". I wouldn't dislike the sign, nor start the thread if I didn't. I just think that it's thinking like this in religions that keep me away from them. I'm a very spiritual person, with many, varied beliefs, but I've never seen religions to be something that was a positive influence on me. I don't need ANY building to practice what I believe in, and I don't need the social aspect of religion to feel comfort in them. I've read the sacred texts of many religions and have found some truths in them, but words are not religions. I'm always willing to discuss what I think and feel, but try to never push my beliefs on someone else, or scare someone with them, and this is what this sign is trying to do. My reason to start a thread on this topic is not to push my beliefs on anyone, but to show that there are positive and negative ways to deal with matters of spirituality.

...and to answer the question: No, I don't believe in the Devil, so I'm not too worried about not going to church for that reason.

I appreciate your opinion and honesty.

I also do not need a building, nor need to go to church, nor need to be socially tied to religion, to practice my spirituality.

That billboard was put up by an older gentleman, without naming a specific church, without naming a specific religion, funded by his own money, inspired by his mother and his spirituality.

If you don't believe in the devil than what fear could that landmark even hold to you?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

God didn't go out there with a shovel, a saw, a hammer, and nails, and build the sign...men did. Yes, God may be inside all of us, but we have choices in life that are ours to make, and the sign was a choice made be men. If God wanted the sign there, it would magically be erected without any of us humans know how it got there, the sign would be floating over the ground, glowing, or some other way of showing us that it not of human origin. Despite what religious people may like to believe, there is absolutely no evidence that God has ever intervened in our world or made any direct presence known. Words on a page are not evidence. If God wanted us to have evidence, it would be made CLEAR to us...not left in mystery.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

God didn't go out there with a shovel, a saw, a hammer, and nails, and build the sign...men did. Yes, God may be inside all of us, but we have choices in life that are ours to make, and the sign was a choice made be men. If God wanted the sign there, it would magically be erected without any of us humans know how it got there, the sign would be floating over the ground, glowing, or some other way of showing us that it not of human origin. Despite what religious people may like to believe, there is absolutely no evidence that God has ever intervened in our world or made any direct presence known. Words on a page are not evidence. If God wanted us to have evidence, it would be made CLEAR to us...not left in mystery.

Who posted this sign?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

You're right, there is something VERY wrong with religious thinking. Religion teaches that God has a gazillion detailed rules and only if we follow all the rules will He love us and be our Father. Can you imagine if a human dad said that to his children:

"Hey kids, these are my rules, see them? If you follow them all then I'll love you and I'll be your dad, and if you don't I will not love you and I won't be your dad."

That's the most subtle yet disgusting false gospel there is. God does love us, He has already demonstrated that love for us by sending His Son to die for us. And He isn't at all about rules, He desires a relationship. He only has two rules, love Him with all we got and love every other person on Earth, that's it. Religion is such a perverted false gospel.

edit on 20-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Isaiah 52:6

Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.

It is "I".

It is "I"

It is "I"

"You" is who "I" point to to place blame, make demands, castigate, degrade, praise, adore, shame, and what ever else "I" wish to do.

"I" do all things!

You does nothing.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Who posted this sign?

Humans

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I have to pretty much agree with you. Although my personal opinions about God or Jesus may differ from yours, life is about loving everyone and everything. Religions tend to miss that sometimes. They get caught up with words, money, and every other thing imaginable.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Who posted this sign?

Humans

I took more than one to type your message?

Liar!

Who posted it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join