It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could mermaids really exist?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CHIEF23

:p

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CHIEF23

In any event, all joking aside, that was a good response, Chief.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the comment chief! I love to let my children have an open mind and think outside of the box. That's how some of the greatest minds in the world have made great discoveries throught time. I'm gonna keep on letting. Her have her fun researching. Once again thanks for the input and keep it coming.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
If, by mermaid, you mean a creature with the tail of a fish but the top half resembling a human - with hair follicles, a mouth capable of speech, human-like ears, and shoulders, arms and hands with fingers - you are describing a creature which could NOT possibly evolve or survive in the ocean.
edit on 6/20/12 by Shoonra because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/20/12 by Shoonra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I wanted to add some needed discussion regarding the recent Animal Planet, so called documentary that supposedly takes a look at the subject matter of mermaids.

Animal Planet and anyone else who partakes in making fake documentaries about mermaids is doing so for a distinct but hidden purpose. This is the real message in such a hoaxed documentary, because they made it for a reason and that reason was to misinform the public while drawing attention away from what such a hoaxed documentary is intended to distract you from.

All the money, planning, logistics, filming, labor, editing and promotion, cost the Animal Planet producers a lot of money to make such a well hoaxed mermaid documentary. Ask yourself why?

While I did not post this to discuss mermaids as being just collateral damage to such a Navy ELF radar as much as I wanted to discuss the conspiracy that I feel exists regarding mermaids that the Animal Planet hoax documentary was intended to keep us from discussing.

While the AP documentary discusses the many whales, dolphins and even mermaids that have been effected by such sounds all around the world, it does not cover the weapon being used to kill them.

Truth is, we have seen many reports of whales, dolphins, dead fish washing up on the shores around the world. Such beaching of dead marine life have all been mysterious at best with no real proof as to what is causing the deaths of such a large numbers of marine animals.

Now with that being stated and out of the way, here are my thoughts on the matter.

Animal Planet created a hoax documentary to question if mermaids exist in the oceans of the world.

I believe that the many reports of dead marine animals combined with all the reports of horns, loud blasts from all over the world is part of a ongoing but secret and well developed program to annihilate the mermaid civilization.

If mermaids exist and if they have a language and the ability to reason and think intelligently, then what we could be seeing in all the whale, dolphin and fish deaths, is evidence that the Navy is in secret conducting a genocidal war against the mermaid civilization and is using a secret Navy sound weapon to kill the mermaids.

The killed whales, dolphins and fish are the collateral damage to the secret war on mermaids brought about by the systematic genocide of such a secret mermaid civilization.

The Animal Planet documentary discussed how mermaids would have learned to team up with whales and dolphins for security and for the ability to move freely in the oceans without suffering the many losses that would come if whales and dolphins were not part of some underwater cooperation between the marine species associating with mermaids.

This is why if the mermaids travel or migrate with the whales and dolphins and if the Navy is then trying to kill the mermaids by means of some ELF sound weapon, then killing a few whales and dolphins does not matter to those conducting such a secret war against the mermaids.

In fact, from a military standpoint, it becomes necessary if mermaids are the primary targets, to then kill what the mermaids use as cover for their migration from one place to another.

Killing the whales and the dolphins that provide cover to the mermaids is exactly where an attack would be focused so that the mermaids would then have no cover and would be exposed to what secret means is being used to kill the mermaids in the oceans around the world.

We do not know if perhaps the mermaid population numbers are perhaps into the thousands or millions, but if the Navy wants to kill them, it could be because such a culture somehow threatens the stability of the existing group that seeks to control the world and what knowledge is revealed to the masses.

Any intelligent mermaid culture could be viewed as a threat to the existing paradigm and this is why mermaids are being exterminated by means of a secret Navy sound weapon.

Mermaids dont use banks, dont need vaccines and dont need a religious structure and dont even have a currency.

These issues are what threatens the reality and those that see the mermaids as a threat to our surface world and do not want anyone to communicate or cooperate with mermaids in anything that could benefit humanity.

Keeping mermaid culture secret requires killing the mermaids, so that no one can ever benefit or undermine the existing system of controls over this planet.

Mermaids are the intended victims, the genocidal targets of a secret war intended to annihilate the mermaid civilization.

This is what the AP documentary I feel is attempting to keep from being a matter of discussion among the public.

Now that you know. Think about it and it may help to answer the big "why." I at least hope it offered some food for thought on the matter.

Thanks again

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by swampcricket

reply to post by maxblack

Thanks guys! A lot of thought went into that answer, as well quite a bit of researching. I like what they guy above is saying though. MaxBlack, thanks for that interesting answer.

I believe that the many reports of dead marine animals combined with all the reports of horns, loud blasts from all over the world is part of a ongoing but secret and well developed program to annihilate the mermaid civilization. If mermaids exist and if they have a language and the ability to reason and think intelligently, then what we could be seeing in all the whale, dolphin and fish deaths, is evidence that the Navy is in secret conducting a genocidal war against the mermaid civilization and is using a secret Navy sound weapon to kill the mermaids.

I believe that to be a very thought provoking statement. Due to the lack of internal reports, I guess we have to find out the answer for ourselves!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Could they exist? Sure. Do I believe they exist? No. Am I a question-talker? Yes.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Remember people this thread was started. Y a curious 8 year old girl with a broad open mind so give her some props for not falling into the norm!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well apparently you can find them every year at the yearly Mermaid Parade in Coney Island....See the link for more great pics...

Source

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I was thinking Old Gregg lol
Second

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
They could exist the ocean is very deep.

But i highly doubt they do. Just seems to far fetched and a load of nonsense. If they travel with whales and dolphins, why has no-one ever seen them whilst filming whales, or filming dolphins.... Hmmm.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

While I have always been intrigued by mermaids, some have noted the "mermaid problem" regarding reproduction. With that said, manatees have been labelled as the culprit when it comes to lonely sailors seeing things in the water that look like women. To this day I have yet to see a manatee that looks like a woman.
edit on 2-7-2012 by MysteriousHusky because: punctuation

edit on 2-7-2012 by MysteriousHusky because: Add video

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CHIEF23

I loved your post at the bottom of page 1 - its nice to see someone going at it with an educated/realistic sort of approach rather than blatantly screaming "HOAX" - I also think its entirely possible something of the "mermaid" nature has evolved. It doesn't have to be so close to human (maybe it is, maybe it isn't, more likely not in appearance as you say) but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in some form, or possibly is related to us distantly.

I think its likely they're smart enough (or deep enough in the ocean) not to get caught - and the few who were caught (physically or otherwise) have been confiscated (hidden, slaughtered, dissected). I may be wording that all wrong, so I included options in parenthesis
I'm not saying I'm a believer, but I am saying the government doesn't have the best track record for veracity. EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

I also found Max's comments thought provoking - this one stood out to me the most.

reply to post by MaxBlack

Mermaids dont use banks, dont need vaccines and dont need a religious structure and dont even have a currency.

After watching Mermaids: The Body Found, I was left with one main question - if there was any truth to it at all, how did it get aired? A poster in this thread answered that for me quite easily - they just labeled it "Fiction" on IMDB

After that I had to search again, because I'm left with the "Why go through all the trouble of a cover-up?"; Which you've answered here better than anyone could. The threat of OUR knowing what we really can live without... scares the crap out of "them".

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I had not asked myself the question - do merpeople really exist or could they? Until recently something caught my mind up in imagination about an alien sort of species living in the depths of the ocean.

The ocean is not someplace that we humans can easily explore the heck out of it. Not unlike mountainous heights where humans don't get enough oxygen in the air. Could there be Yeti and Bigfoot - well yes - do we have physical proof of that - no. It requires a living captured or dead killed thing and then it most likely would be called a hoax-by-a-skilled-hoaxer and not given the credence it deserves as a living being.

Merpeople, Bigfoot and Yeti most likely speak a language that we cannot know - their experience is so different from ours. Maybe they don't have vocal chords like we do. Maybe a growl might be understood by a same species entity but misinterpreted by a human.

What do they eat - like us whatever fills our stomach. Do they have children by giving birth or by batches - who knows! Do they love each other - who knows. Many diverse species get along with other species rather than hunt them down to extinction.

Would a real merperson shatter the dichotomy that religions dictate as humanity is - people and God or spirit - definitely and so would a real live interplanetary species. Interdimentionality also messes up the ruling paradigm of only three dimensions. Space travel that is almost instantaneous is only really discussed in Science Fiction stories but is it possible - YES.

We, humans, do not yet know everything there is to be known.

Due to some instances in my living experience I believe that the impossible is not only possible but also a fact that we humans just don't know yet.

Many people already delude themselves that there is a man somewhere up in the sky who goes by the name - GOD but is God possible - of course he/it/she is possible.

Ask yourself this - are there intelligent species that live in the sea as well as above the sea? The answer is yes but we humans have been too involved with our own premier place in the scheme of our universe to understand just how intelligent even worms are.

Who told a tree to create a surface of nectar type food to attract bees and other pollinators to them in order for them to produce offspring. Who told a gecko to look like a rock on the floor of the desert in order to catch ants at will?

Who told people that putting a certain organ inside another of their species would not only be fun but create offspring?

To answer your eight year old's question - yes there are intelligent species at the bottom of the ocean. Do they look like us? Probably not. Do they speak like we do - absolutely not. Would they be known as merpeople? - to humans maybe - to themselves absolutely not (Earthlings is the correct answer.)

All living and even some non living things are Earthlings. Rocks have been here for billions and billions of years and as far as we know they are non living beings but they go through their own creational processes that cannot be known by humankind.

Native Amerindians have a saying - a trillion years on one planet we are all brothers and sisters. I like to add - we are nothing more than recycled dinosaur poop!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by swampcricket
Could it be that there really are mermaids.

Read this

www.selkiecomic.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I think mermaids could exist otherwise there wouldn't be all those old stories about them. I doubt people were that blind that they can't tell the difference between a mermaid, girl or manatee/ sea cow.

Then there are also the kids with mermaid syndrome:

wiki article

picture

Mermaid Fossil

Not sure if your daughter finds skeletons gory?
Link to fossil mermaid

Then there are also selkies - not sure if you can classify them under mermaids though.

Looks like you need to introduce some fantasy books to your daughter (if you haven't already).

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Mermaid books

children's novels

gift book?

list of mermaid books for kids
edit on 16/77/12 by Elentarri because: (no reason given)

Found another book - more a reference book than story book.

amazon link
edit on 16/77/12 by Elentarri because: added stuff X2

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Oh yes my 8yr old and 5 yr old both read and they go beyond what is normal for that age range. I always let them expand by reading if not to answer the questions but to stir up more. That's how things get figured out right lol, put some fresh you g minds on it. They love cryptids and ufos and anything that doesn't fit into the way most people think. Who knows maybe one of them will find out the REAL number to the universe not the one from hitch nickers guide to the galaxy. Thanks for the links I will pass them on to the kiddos. And thanks everyone else for realizing that my 8 yr old had enough balls to ask the question.
edit on 09/19/2005 by swampcricket because: Typos courtesy of apple iPad

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I believe it is entirely possible for Mermaids to exist. Legends speak of these "creatures" always luring men into the waters who are out at sea on a ship and drowning them, I don't know if the mermaids intended on drowning men or not they probably thought hey i can breathe above and below maybe they can to. I read about this one place on a little island where the woman were called mermaids, they would be the ones who swam great distances to scavenge food and the men would be doing something else. Men felt inferior in this aspect that they took this over, I really dont remember where I read that it was so long ago. I would love it if Hollywood made more shows and movies about Mermaids, its a really interesting subject to get into.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Almost all references to mermaids come from ancient sailors who often depicted them in stories and paintings. These sailors were often at sea for many months or years without seeing their wives. Many believe that these same sailors are responsible for completely fabricating mermaid sightings due to the fact that they had spent so long away from their own wives. This theory also explains why almost all early depictions of merpeople are female rather than male.

Classic depictions of merpeople do not gills. Some sort of micro evolution may have occurred to merpeople enabling them to stay underwater for perhaps hours. This means that they can not possibly live underwater. If merpeople do exist, they must have gills in order to survive. It is not impossible for merpeople to have gills, so this point is rather soft.

Also: a fine point made on another ats thread: the human spine is not designed to flip a tail as a mermaid does. It puts far too much pressure on the body and will lead to eventual death. However it is possible for merpeople to have the spine of a fish.

Lastly: It is genetically impossible to mate a fish with a human and get a living hybrid. I would add a source for this point, but I do not know what to search for in order to back this up.

Some mermaid bodies have supposedly been found in the past, but all have been rendered hoaxes.

For these reasons I believe mermaids are an impossibility. I enjoy the mythology behind them and do keep an open mind. It is slightly possible that something like a mermaid lives in the unknown oceans, but very unlikely.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join