It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE CRYSTAL SUN: Lost Ancient Technology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Does anyone remember the 60s movie called, "The Lost Continent of Atlantis"? It showed a giant crystal lazer-type weapon. Interesting coincidence to the article below:

Ancient lenses! Well, how far back do they go? The earliest actual lenses which I have located are crystal ones dating from the 4th Dynasty of Old Kingdom Egypt, circa 2500 BC. These are to be found in the Cairo Museum and two are in the Louvre in Paris. But archaeological evidence showing that they must have been around at least 700 years earlier has recently been excavated at Abydos in Upper Egypt. A tomb of a Pre-Dynastic king there has yielded an ivory knife handle bearing a microscopic carving which could only have been done under considerable magnification (and of course can only be seen with a strong magnifying glass today). Thus, we know that magnification technology was in use in Egypt in 3300 BC.

The Great Pyramid was clearly surveyed with early forms of optical surveying instruments that we could call proto-theodolites. Ancient lenses tended to be of rock crystal until Carthaginian and Roman times, beginning about the 4th century BC, after which glass lenses became more common (being much cheaper), and crystal lenses then became rare.

Article Link

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Yes, very interesting. I was just doing a search on ancient lost technology, and your thread on lenses came up. It is quite amazing, what was accomplished in the past, when we supposed to be hunter gatherers, or whatever.

Troy

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by deepwaters

Modern technology, if one considers 1822 as modern, saw the invention of a lens that then seemed as magical as the mythic Atlantean 'Lens' that threw a 'Ray'...

www.lighthousegetaway.com...

In 1822 a French Physicist named Augustin Fresnel invented a lens that would make his name commonplace along the seacoasts of Europe and North America.
It looked like a giant glass beehive, with a light at the center.
The lens could be as tall as twelve feet, with concentric rings of glass prisms above and below to bend the light into a narrow beam.
At the center the lens was shaped like a magnifying glass, so the concentrated beam was even more powerful. ...

click the link....see an imposing Image of this otherworldly 'Lens'...

i'd guess that public knowledge of this technology actually doused the mystifying nature of the legendary Atlantis 'beam or ray'

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
you should read my thread on here about crystal skulls and crystal balls being ancient techno devices. Like tvs or computers we just dont know how to use.
crystals today are used to store information. why not back then?
silicone valley - quartz crystal = is fundamental to our technology today. should really be called the 'crystal age'.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I had the pleasure of reading Temple's "The Crystal Sun" from cover to cover several years ago and enjoyed it so much that I hung on to my copy of it.

Temple provided ample evidence for the existence of advanced optics technology in ancient times. It's too bad that this, and other examples of ancient techhology always seem to be given the 'alternate' history label.

Why are we so afraid or pompous to acknowledge that some of our present day technology may in fact be 'rediscovered'?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GoneGrey

Very true-we are arrogant to believe that we are the most advanced humans in history.I was thinking of the Antikythera mechanism:

The Antikythera mechanism (pronounced /ˌæntɪkɪˈθɪərə/ AN-ti-ki-THEER-ə), is an ancient mechanical calculator (also described as the first known mechanical computer)[1][2] designed to calculate astronomical positions. It was recovered in 1900–01 from the Antikythera wreck,[3] but its complexity and significance were not understood until decades later. It is now thought to have been built about 150–100 BC. Technological artifacts of similar complexity did not reappear until the 14th century, when mechanical astronomical clocks appeared in Europe.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

The gear cogs were lost in time,an had to be re invented over a thousand years later!

Who knows what else was lost in the sands of time?
Lenses are a good one to look for,even today,as their crystal/glass material does not not decay in the same way wooden or metal artifacts do.

Interesting Thread!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The Antikythera device is a perfect example of what is undeniably advanced technological knowledge. While the knowledge behind the purpose of its function is staggering, the actual physical carrying out of its construction is mind boggling.

I suppose one could also consider the construction of Great Pyramid along with this. Though I am aware that there are many theories suggesting that simple techniques may have been used in its construction, I don't think that it was nearly as simple as stacking some big blocks.

Christoper Dunn, in his "The Giza Power Plant" describes in some detail the complexity of shape of the blockwork (multiple obliquely angled faces on single blocks, tunneling bored on angles through individual blocks, precision fit between blocks, etc...). What kind of advanced ancient technology enabled that?

Advanced optics is a natural fit with these and the many other examples.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
GoneGrey, you've got me interested in Robert Temple now. I love this stuff. Any information that will validate ancient technology is very interesting to me. I have Dead Men's Secrets, by Jonathan Grey, I think that's his name.

I have a thirst I want the truth to be known, and not hidden away. So much, I believe, is hidden away from us. I feel we are only allowed to see just a spec of our past. But it becomes visible on occasion.

Troy

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

Cybertroy, another favourite ancient technology book of mine is "Technology of the Gods: The Incredible Sciences of the Ancients" by David Hatcher Childress.

I highly recommend this for anyone who is new to the idea of advanced ancient technology. It's not heavy reading and introduces the reader to many examples that are worthy of further investigation.

new topics

top topics

join