It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Science Tainted By Arrogance and Belief? Sounds Like Religion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Throughout my existence here on planet Earth, I have noticed there are certain things that mainstream Science refuses to investigate. It reminds me of how Religions refuse to look beyond their perspective books. One of the biggest things discarded by Science are the metaphysical properties of such things a rocks and crystals. It is known that they radiate frequencies that alter the vibrational frequency of the body, but this is as far as the research has gone. It has been left up to Non Scientific Metaphysical communities to continue the research. Why?

I understand that the holistic properties of plants are put aside due to the greed of financial gains by the pharmaceutical companies, but is this really in the interest of the betterment of mankind? But what of the auras of plants or the Human auras? It is said that the energy within the Human body could power a city, but where is the research? Where are the discoveries of harnessing this energy? We should be able to at least charge our cell phones simply by holding them by now.

Another example is the Pyramids of the World. They are seen as tombs, as in Egypt, or ritual centers, as in Central and South America. Anything else is left to the Pseudo Sciences. The same with discoveries that could alter the "Accepted History". They are either swept under the rug and forgotten or labeled a hoax so that no one bothers to look deeper. Anyone who does look into them is considered "Crackpots" by the mainstream Scientific community.

There are many many other examples that I am not going to go into here but the point I am trying to make is that it seems to me that Science is stuck on the flat Earth theory. Yes, We know the Earth is not flat, but it is the same mentality. It does not seem that the desire to understand and move forward is there in a lot of cases. Just as Religions state that this is what God says and this is the only way, so too Science has become.

Yes, there are those Scientists that do ask the questions but they tend to be downgraded or attacked, by way of integrity, by the mainstream Scientific community. It reminds me of how the Religious communities act towards Science and visa versa. I see the same argument between Religions that I see between Sciences. Some consider Science as a Religion based on theory rather than fact, which in a lot of examples it is.

So is this internal conflict within the multitude of Sciences due to the arrogance of the Scientists themselves? Is it that the Scientific hatred of Religion so deep that they simply cannot acknowledge a possible convergence of the two? Has Science become so specialized that the possibilities of what is accepted in Metaphysics is not even worth the study? I am not attacking Science, mind you, I simply would like to know what the hold up is. Science has given us a lot of information about the reality we live in, I will not deny, but it seems to have boarders that it is not allowed to cross and I feel it is holding us back in many more ways than one.

Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to your opinions.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Agarta because: fixed the title

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

i would say the scientific community have issues "believing" something as simple as a rock could hold any intrigueing properties...

the same as how most religions refuse to delve into anything outside their own book(s)

both science and religion reek of pride... (corrected due to spelling nazism
)

edit on 18-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Wreak of pride is an interesting way to put it, even if you probably mean reeks of pride.

But I'd say no, there's just a fair share of arrogant people involved. Especially in archeology.

The difference between science and religion though is that science bases a lot of its conclusions on what can be measured and observed while religion makes claims that can not.. For example, a rock will create ripples when thrown on a pond. That is something that can bee observed and can have a physical effect on the world. Things that don't have a physical effect on the world, things that can't be observed to have some sort of effect on the world, are what science tends to avoid.

Science has investigated many paranormal subjects. The vast majority of them are simply misunderstood or misidentified items/objects/crafts and phenomenon, or a hell of a lot of hoaxes. It is primarily these tricks and traps that is what puts science off of investigating paranormal events in the first place. A lot of shows like Ghost Hunters are just filled with dishonest people who are looking to make a fast buck.

For the most part, science is not a bunch of warty nose people seeking to enslave your children to their corporate reptilian overlords. They just want to have something that can have a measurable effect before they can confirm the existence of these claims.

The other problem too is true believers are just as closed minded as non-believers. They too come to only one conclusion and that their conclusion can only be the right one. Then they proceed to to make the evidence fit their conclusions rather than basing their conclusions on what the evidence shows. Being open minded is a two way street. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and not an alien suppository meant for mind control.

So you see, there are a lot of pitfalls when investigating things like UFOs and the paranormal. And that's why science avoids these subjects.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I see what you are saying there in your reply to Akragon and I agree with you. There are a lot of situations especially in the World of Paranormal investigations. It is a problem when hoaxers get involved. With that I submit, is it possible that some of these hoaxes were done on purpose to redirect the investigations from serious research? You don't have to answer that as it is rhetorical, of course its possible and proving it is only speculation. BUT, there are many observable aspects of the Metaphysical World, like I stated above, that have been pushed aside. They are not connected with hoaxes and can be measured, yet they are also pushed aside and shunned upon. I do realize that Science moves and discoveries are made due to the questions asked, but, why are these types of questions ignored?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

They haven't been ignored. Science does already have their answers with many of the evidences explained.

For example, one of the most common phenomenon on ghost hunting shows is EVP, or electronic voice phenomenon. Science calls it Auditory pareidolia which is a situation created when the brain incorrectly interprets random patterns as being familiar patterns.

The answers are there, you just have to know where to look for it.

If you have any other evidence that is not shown on ghost hunting shows that science has not already addressed, please post it. I'd bet you if you did the real research, you'll find that science has already given answers for these phenomenon.

For the most part, tone of the other common tactics that true believers love to use is to ask the same questions over and over again and ignore the responses and the answers that science has given for any set of phenomena. It's called argumentum ad infinitum. Repeat the same thing over and over again and when the other guy (or gal) gives up, declare victory.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by Agarta

They haven't been ignored. Science does already have their answers with many of the evidences explained.

For example, one of the most common phenomenon on ghost hunting shows is EVP, or electronic voice phenomenon. Science calls it Auditory pareidolia which is a situation created when the brain incorrectly interprets random patterns as being familiar patterns.

The answers are there, you just have to know where to look for it.

If you have any other evidence that is not shown on ghost hunting shows that science has not already addressed, please post it. I'd bet you if you did the real research, you'll find that science has already given answers for these phenomenon.

I am not attempting to argue with you especially when it comes to the Paranormal research. In fact, take a moment and read another one of my threads here Paranormal Research Training Center?. I am very familiar with the Scientific side of paranormal research which is why it was not added into my initial post of this thread. But to go back to my last post, the question I posed was based on the Metaphysical properties of rocks and crystals as well as auras of plants, animals, and human beings and the possible implications of energy usage.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Which is not the subject of this thread.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I find the topic pretty interesting agarta, and I have made a thread about it as well (one of my few). Wouldnt mind your opinion on it agarta!

I think the difference is that religion is based openly on belief, while generally, science claims what it knows as "fact." It is an interesting distinction that lends itself well to no personal search whatsoever.

Religion will tend to discourage the personal search, but its still there. The industry of science, however, negates this search through everything from financial cost of experimentation to education. All gating mechanisms..

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Maybe you should reread my original post in the thread. It is very much the subject of this thread in fact there are even pictures of both the use of rocks and crystals and the Human aura. As a matter of fact Paranormal research, which you brought in, is not, but I addressed your statements, twice, regardless.

You are attempting to draw attention away from the fact that Scientific research into THESE examples is not given by showing that attention of another is as well as avoiding the questions posed both in the original post and other posts I have made. Please refer back to the original questions on topic instead of attempting to show research in another field which I have already addressed.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

I would be happy too. Could you please link the thread or at least give the title so I can look it up?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Of course! Didnt want to infringe on your thread at all. I actually feel its an important topic.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Oh whops, sorry, I didn't think this was your thread. I'd misread it and somehow didn't realize you were the one who'd started it. Sorry for trying to be the thread police.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I wish to clarify, first I wish to apologize for stating that Paranormal research is not part of the topic, as it surely is, as it is not mainstream science. As my thread, I linked, shows, there is a lot of research done into the field but it is done by Pseudo Scientists on the fringe of research in the attempt to make it mainstream.

Second, please understand, I do wish to bring in whatever non mainstream research as examples of both and the topic is not limited to ONLY the topics I posted in my OP. I do appreciate the addition as a counter to the others and I think it is because of the HOAXES and TV shows trying to get ratings that has tainted actual research. I know for a fact there are serious studies done and have been for many years, but it has all been kept from Mainstream research, at least in my opinion.

Third, I also apologize for any attitude seen in my replies to you. My main focus is attempting to understand why such subjects are taboo within Mainstream Science and why advancements have not been made due to this separation.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Agarta because: spelling and punctuation

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

You don't have anything to apologize for. I was the one who was being slightly rude when I was being the thread police in your own thread. No apologies are necessary. .

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Greetings Agarta, star and flaf for a thought provoking post.

One of the biggest things discarded by Science are the metaphysical properties of such things a rocks and crystals. It is known that they radiate frequencies that alter the vibrational frequency of the body, but this is as far as the research has gone. It has been left up to Non Scientific Metaphysical communities to continue the research. Why?

I know this one, and so do you. It is because the the Big Pharmacy Lobby wants everyone to rely solely on their brand of cure, usually in the form of narcotics for pain, antibiotics for infections, and so on. If it were widely known that certain crystals, or alternative herbal remedies worked better, or even at the same level, Big Pharm would be out of business.

As for science being a religion, I disagree. I have known a few scientists in my time, and they are an eccentric group, yes, but a religion has "beliefs" while a scientist looks for answers, and attempts to discover new things. And Religions have "faith," which is a strong belief in an unproven thing or set of facts, while a scientist believes only what he/she can prove, measure, or otherwise fully define. So you see, the two are in direst opposition to each other, so the point is moot. IMHO.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I respect your post and for the most part agree, Science is based on the observable outcomes and in some cases fact as in the components of atoms or that the Earth revolves around the Sun. These I do understand. However in some cases theories have become fact, simply because it is an answer that fits within the guidelines of the questions asked. Therefore, belief in the observed becomes accepted as truth. I also understand that without the right questions, theories or Facts cannot be fine tuned or changed, and it is limited to the Human understanding to even ask the questions in the proper way. When the question is changed so too can the answer in some cases, and so the fact becomes myth.

This is my reasoning behind likening it to Religion. Here is an example. There is a big controversy over the existence of God in the Creation/Evolution debate. Science shows evolution is possible and therefore contradicting the Creationism, yet there are some examples that show to the contrary, thus giving credence back to Creationism. This gave rise to the third theory of Logical design. There is no "proof" either way and it leaves it to belief from all sides. This may be an unfair example as there is a lot of research being done on all sides of this issue, but it shows how Science can be construed as a belief system in some cases.

There are points, like I said that are fact and you are right in that we take for granted that research is true and not manipulated. One can be told that there are certain internal parts of a frog, but until one personally dissects the frog and confirms for ones self, it is taken on faith, that the information is true and factual. It is all about the belief in the perimeters to be complete and valid questions that proof is found.

I am in no way attempting to discard Science as advancements in every field are due to it, I just find it odd that certain questions are asked and others are discarded.

top topics

join