It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative news?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So, I've noticed a lot of threads in the 'breaking alternative news' section lately that hardly seem like 'alternative' news. They are from very normal topics, and very mainstream news sources.

Reading through the rules for submission, here am seeing a good description of what constitutes 'alternative.

The Intent of the "Breaking Alternative News Forum" is to provide a single-source place to post relevant articles from other sources that are less than 48 hours hold. By relevant we mean topics that related to the "conspiracy theory" and "alternative topics" themes of the AboveTopSecret.com forums. Many of the threads we see in the first to pages of the "Breaking Alternative News Forum" should have been started in other forums on ATS or AbovePolitics.

Now, here's the top 5 'alternative' breaking news stories over the past few days:

So, what gives? Are these actually alternative, despite being very mainstream topics from very mainstream sources? Or have the mods just abandoned us?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I second this post.

Seems more and more lately that Breaking Alternative News is nothing but rehashing MSM news articles and popular events. If we found our way here, you can be sure the rest of us know how to check CNN / Fox / etc.

I for one would like to see more Alternative news topics about UFO's, Aliens, Government NWO Conspiracies and such. Not generic news posts that on the outset appear to be a way for users to garner more points.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hmmmm, you do have a point. On the other hand though, our news itself seems to be a conspiracy. It seems that we are lied to all the time on the idiotbox, and in newspapers.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Any mods have any input on this?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I'm not a MOD but I'll jump in here with an opinion.

I suppose it's all in how you look at the topics in Breaking Alternative News.

Let's face it, there aren't really that many Breaking UFO, Bigfoot and or 'CIA trained Mutated GMO dude actually killed JFK' stories. But if someone were to post the following recent MSM story with their ATS [NWO being a step closer to reality] perspective then, now, we are cooking with fire eh?

G20 ramps up pressure on Europe over debt crisis

The world's major industrialized and developing economies were set to urge Europe to take "all necessary policy measures" to resolve a crisis that has now raged for over two years, according to a draft communique seen by Reuters that was prepared for a Group of 20 summit in this Mexican resort town.

U.S. President Barack Obama,

Just a thought.....

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

@OP, I third this post.

@Slayer69, I disagree....putting an ATS perspective is tantamount to writing an OP/ED.... Breaking News (Alternative) is not the same as Breaking Alternative OP/ED.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I agree with the OP, but it does seem when people post a lot of these threads there, it's almost always accompanied by something that falls in the ATS view of things:

A quake article (followed by the thread makers opinion that it was man made, being covered up, is more proof of Nibiru, etc,etc)

A political article (followed by the thread makers opinion of something to do with the NWO, Elite take over, etc, etc)

Maybe that is why the thread posters think it belongs there? Because they are including some conspiracy thinking with the article?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by stanguilles7

I'm not a MOD but I'll jump in here with an opinion.

I suppose it's all in how you look at the topics in Breaking Alternative News.

Let's face it, there aren't really that many Breaking UFO, Bigfoot and or 'CIA trained Mutated GMO dude actually killed JFK' stories. But if someone were to post the following recent MSM story with their ATS [NWO being a step closer to reality] perspective then, now, we are cooking with fire eh?

G20 ramps up pressure on Europe over debt crisis

The world's major industrialized and developing economies were set to urge Europe to take "all necessary policy measures" to resolve a crisis that has now raged for over two years, according to a draft communique seen by Reuters that was prepared for a Group of 20 summit in this Mexican resort town.

U.S. President Barack Obama,

Just a thought.....

Yes, but just about anything can (and usually is) 'connected' to the ever-vague 'nwo' here on ATS. So that is hardly a standard. And as our fearless leader has pointed out, there is more distinction than that, according to their 'rules':

Let me point out some examples.

These threads are appropriate submissions for the "Breaking Alternative News" forum:

Put young children on DNA list, to target future offenders.
Obama's Pastor Blames America for 9-11
Lord Rothschild Backs John McCain
Debt Serfdom comes to America

These threads ARE NOT appropriate submissions for the "Breaking Alternative News" forum:

Wall Street fears for next Great Depression
J.P. Morgan Chase to buy Bear Stearns for $2 a share
Royal college warns abortions can lead to mental illness
Bush: 'The Market is Correcting itself'

Reaffirming the "Breaking Alternative News" Forum

edit on 19-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
reply to post by SLAYER69

@Slayer69, I disagree....putting an ATS perspective is tantamount to writing an OP/ED.... Breaking News (Alternative) is not the same as Breaking Alternative OP/ED.

Well put. The topic of the article needs to actually be something that is 'alternative'. many topics posted these days is a major headline of a common topic from a mainstream source. 3 strikes.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
ABN section of ATS can be used in various ways.

A prime example of this would be two consecutive threads i have made in relatively short time frame revolving around a particular topic. At the end of this paragraph i will also type out what news you will be hearing by all leading networks in the next few days if not by the time you read this then perhaps it might also be breaking news.

First thread at hand would be this
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and second link at hand would be this
www.abovetopsecret.com...
my third link at hand hasn't been made public but it revolves around the loan that Russia has provided to Cyprus for 3.5bn and the fine print involved. Since Mr. Putin has announced its intentions as a nation to enter the Mediterranean as an equal super power in the region it will and has stated to allow Syria to fend for itself...so to speak. The new buzz is that Russia has successfully leased land from Cyprus to build its new naval/military/electronic base. At a stones throw from the U.S. naval base in Crete and a healthy walking distance away from the Echelon base in Cyprus we can officially ( due to be made public ) accept the fact that Russia is in the same geographical location as it originally intended to be several decades ago. That is what i refer to as alternative breaking news, as its implications are global and not regional. Recent joint military exercises with Gr, Cy, U.S. Rus. Isr, nato are what this whole re shuffling of the cards within the Mediterranean was all about.

edit: Enter key is slightly stuck due to coca cola being spilt over keyboard. Back to topic, what i wanted to add in regards to the russian naval base is that stratfor has released information mentioning that russia denies any such claims of acquiring a naval base in cyprus. Hands up anyone who feels that they are not telling us/you/me something...
edit on 20-6-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
It's no going to change, it is what people do here.

Just like the thread titles that really do not match the information provided. Many are sensational to get people to open them.

And links, like above post, that are just a domain because only a URL is posted instead of including text to label it.

Someone will says in this thread, but instead of seeing a title or description to have an idea of what the thread is, a person must open each one to get the title and an idea of the subject.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
It's no going to change, it is what people do here.

Just like the thread titles that really do not match the information provided. Many are sensational to get people to open them.

You're right roadgravel, which may have a lot to do with the OP's angst on seeing it happen. You've been around on here for a long time too. I'm sure some of the changes you've seen aren't always changes for the better...unfortunate consequence perhaps, but not always for the better from a user community standpoint.

Like Slayer69 said, there are only so many UFO, Nibiru, Reptilian threads that can be started before it's not breaking OR alternative, he has a very valid point there.

And links, like above post, that are just a domain because only a URL is posted instead of including text to label it.

Someone will says in this thread, but instead of seeing a title or description to have an idea of what the thread is, a person must open each one to get the title and an idea of the subject.

You know what, that is an EXCELLENT point. Perhaps MODS / Developers, what might be an idea is to have any links in any post that are cached here on ATS automatically pop-up an intellisense type window when hovered over that captures the first couple hundred characters or so of what is included on that thread link? Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Description of a supplied link like mine or should i say as you pointed out being supplied by me within this thread falls upon ATS and the weight of the code used by the site. If the site is unable to incorporate a brief description via a link then that falls outside my jurisdiction let alone my responsibility to supply or should i say interact with the community.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Description of a supplied link like mine or should i say as you pointed out being supplied by me within this thread falls upon ATS and the weight of the code used by the site. If the site is unable to incorporate a brief description via a link then that falls outside my jurisdiction let alone my responsibility to supply or should i say interact with the community.

If the Link button on the post page is used, it will ask for the text description and then the URL.

That should work for those who don't know the BBCODE where 'url=' is used within the open tag and with the description surrounded by the tags.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

Agreed.

Many of the stories posted can easily be found through the AP and other sources.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I think it really depends on what you consider to be the lesser of two evils. What you've quoted may well be mainstream news, OP; but unfortunately, the definition of alternative news held by most people on here, is to cover the most recent, brutal police slaying of a disabled child or member of the elderly, that said mainstream media doesn't want to touch.

I can do without that, personally. It isn't productive. It doesn't tell us anything about why our world is the way it is, or how it got that way. It doesn't really amount to much more than sadomasochistic titillation.
edit on 24-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join