It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WMD's Finally FOUND!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

a silencer does not make a gun a WMD. On the tower issue? Have you ever heard of Charles Whitman?

Actually, in NC, it does:

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Interesting note: This is in line with NC General Assembly rules:

in part:

The term "weapon of mass death and destruction" includes:

(1) Any explosive or incendiary: a. Bomb; or b. Grenade; or c. Rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces; or d. Missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one‑quarter ounce; or e. Mine; or f. Device similar to any of the devices described above; or

(2) Any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell of a type particularly suitable for sporting purposes) which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one‑half inch in diameter; or

(3) Any firearm capable of fully automatic fire, any shotgun with a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any rifle with a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is included within this definition. For the purposes of this section, rifle is defined as a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; or

(4) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any weapon described above and from which a weapon of mass death and destruction may readily be assembled.

www.ncga.state.nc.us...

So it looks like the cops were right in their definition. The ramifications of this definition seem troubling, at best.
edit on 16-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me, what planet this is? I seem to be lost!!! Does anyone know where Earth (sp?) is? I need to get back....ASAP.
We're PATHETIC! We let "them" rule over us...like we mean nothing. Do birds have rules and regulations? Lions, Tigers or Bears; do they have a ruler? Nuff said!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nuttin4nothin
Can someone please tell me, what planet this is? I seem to be lost!!! Does anyone know where Earth (sp?) is? I need to get back....ASAP.
We're PATHETIC! We let "them" rule over us...like we mean nothing. Do birds have rules and regulations? Lions, Tigers or Bears; do they have a ruler? Nuff said!

So you're an anarchist?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
You know, in some countries suppressors are required. It sure would be sweet to shoot my ar15 at the shooting range without scaring the crap outta the guy next to me. Well, i mean the other way around....

Why am i required to have mufflers on my car but banned from it for my gun?

By the way theyll know youre shooting at them cause of the bullets coming there way

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
It was not the gun that was deemed a WMD - it was the silencer attatched to it.

While I personally do not consider this a type of WMD, others might - as there is really only one reason to want a silencer on your weapon.

ya, like not having to wear giant ear muffs or cause permanent hearing damage while shooting in an indoor range.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
no suprise to see people on this forum taking the bull# side and agreeing that a silencer makes a gun a WMD. never let me down ATS members

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

While I personally do not consider this a type of WMD, others might - as there is really only one reason to want a silencer on your weapon.

However, in this state it is illegal to own a silencer.

Not owning a weapon.

So I can paint my weapon funny colors, engrave it with cool designs and put that on television (Sons of Guns and other shows), but the minute I try to get a commemorative Boondock Saints silencer and pistol set I'm harboring WMD's?

Oh, you meant the other thing silencers are for? I guess this guy has a history of going killing people and running from the law like Nick Cage in that movie?

Oh, he didn't? There's an amendment for that!

It's called the Second Amendment, FYI. I recall some, "shall not be infringed" part, and since it's purpose is the defense of the people from their government it must be that he is a terrorist.

The government has tanks, by the way. Just one more note, silencers don't stop tanks, predator drones, or missiles. There's carriers, jets, and CBRN as well.

It's just a silencer...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Just a question for all you gun people, why would you want a silencer?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

en.wikipedia.org...

There are many advantages in using a suppressor that are not related to the sound. Hunters using centerfire rifles find suppressors bring various important benefits that outweigh the extra weight and resulting change in the firearm's center of gravity. The most important advantage of a suppressor is the hearing protection for the shooter as well as his/her companions. There are many hunters who have suffered permanent hearing damage due to someone else firing a high-caliber gun too closely without a warning. By reducing noise, recoil and muzzle-blast, it also enables the firer to follow through calmly on his first shot and fire a further carefully aimed shot without delay if necessary. Wildlife of all kinds are often confused as to the direction of the source of a well-suppressed shot. In the field, however, the comparatively large size of a centerfire rifle suppressor can cause unwanted noise if it bumps or rubs against vegetation or rocks, and many users cover them with neoprene sleeves. Suppressors reduce firing recoil significantly, primarily by diverting and trapping the propellant gas. Propellant gas is generally a fraction of the projectile mass, but it exits the muzzle at multiples of the projectile velocity, and since recoil energy is a function of mass times velocity squared the elimination of the propellant recoil can be significant. Paulson et al., discussing low-velocity pistol calibers, suggest the recoil reduction is around 15%.[2] With high-velocity calibers recoil reduction runs in the range of 20–30%.[20] The added weight of the suppressor—normally 300 to 500 grams—also contributes to the reduction of the recoil. Further, the pressure against the face of each baffle is higher than the pressure on its reverse side, making each baffle a miniature "pneumatic ram" which pulls the suppressor forward on the weapon, contributing a counter recoil force. A suppressor also cools the hot gases coming out of the barrel enough that most of the lead-laced vapor that leaves the barrel condenses inside the suppressor, reducing the amount of lead that might be inhaled by the shooter and others around them. However, in auto-loading actions this might be offset by increased back pressure which results in propellant gas blowing back into a shooter's face through the chamber during case ejection.

www.gunworld.com...

atvantages are many with silencers(supressors) and contrary to popular opinion MOST do not completly silence the report of the gunshot but with sub sonic ammo you can cut the report in half or more in some cases
improve accuracy in otherwise short barreled weapons(mac-10 family,handguns etc)

and most importantly protects your hearing so you dont ruin it in indoor ranges and or over years of shooting hope that helps

SM2

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
First off it is not a silencer, it is a suppressor. Second, they are not illegal. Third no gun shop in their right mind would sell one to someone without following the legal procedure.

www.fargoarms.com...

"Suppressors are LEGAL to own as a private citizen under federal law per the National Firearms Act of 1934 and are legal in most states. They are however regulated and taxed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Suppressors are legal for private ownership in the following states: AL, AK, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MO, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. Of the fourteen states that do not allow civilian ownership, CA, IA, MA, MO, and MI allow Class 3 dealers and Class 2 manufacturers to possess silencers. The legal requirements to purchase a suppressor or any item falling under the purview of the NFA are that a private individual must be at least 21 years of age, a citizen of the United States, have no felony record, and must meet all the same requirements required to lawfully purchase a handgun. "

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Thanks for the info
coming from the UK the only time I see a silencer is in movies and they are normally owned by assassins etc

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Firgive the intrusion guys, but could the weapon of mass destruction be pyrotechnics he had stashed...?
If ya take plain handsoap, and chip it up, and mix it with gasoline into a slurry, you have whats commonly called napalm.....maybe this was the type of stuff the WMD charge was about.....not the rifle.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

First of all, stop calling them silencers. They are suppressors. They are legal in my state and they really don't make the gun that quiet. You can still tell it's a gun shot. There are a number of reasons to use a suppressor. It makes the recoil more manageable, allows the operator to not wear hearing protection (depending).

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
So this guy gets accused of having a WMD, while the government owns the many miles of coast line along the Outer Banks of NC that have unexploded mine fields, some areas exposed.

Hypocrits!

edit on 17-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

The OP is wrong. If she was concerned about "finding" WMDs, she would have looked at the State's definition.
The title is false.

The State of North Carolina clearly defines the terms and conditions for ownership or possession of firearms and other weapons:

§ 14-288.8. Manufacture, assembly, possession, storage, transportation, sale, purchase, delivery, or acquisition of weapon of mass death and destruction; exceptions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to manufacture, assemble, possess, store, transport, sell, offer to sell, purchase, offer to purchase, deliver or give to another, or acquire any weapon of mass death and destruction.
(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) Persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.
(2) Importers, manufacturers, dealers, and collectors of firearms, ammunition, or destructive devices validly licensed under the laws of the United States or the State of North Carolina, while lawfully engaged in activities authorized under their licenses.
(3) Persons under contract with the United States, the State of North Carolina, or any agency of either government, with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in under their contracts.
(4) Inventors, designers, ordnance consultants and researchers, chemists, physicists, and other persons lawfully engaged in pursuits designed to enlarge knowledge or to facilitate the creation, development, or manufacture of weapons of mass death and destruction intended for use in a manner consistent with the laws of the United States and the State of North Carolina.
(5) Persons who lawfully possess or own a weapon as defined in subsection (c) of this section in compliance with 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53, §§ 5801-5871. Nothing in this subdivision shall limit the discretion of the sheriff in executing the paperwork required by the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for such person to obtain the weapon.

(c) The term "weapon of mass death and destruction" includes:
(3) Any firearm capable of fully automatic fire, any shotgun with a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any rifle with a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is included within this definition.

mobile.ncleg.net...

Of course, looking for the facts and posting "the rest of the story" doesn't cater to ATS members who don't care to know otherwise, or who just troll for stars and flags.

What ever happened to checking "sources" when posting, instead of just ranting nonsense?

The people of the State of North Carolina have to live with this legislation, or they can move to Kentucky.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

However, in this state it is illegal to own a silencer.

Not owning a weapon.

99.9 % of people who go through the process of owning a suppressor buy them because they are cool. And you can shoot without pissing off neighbors or having to wear ear protection. How often on the new's do you hear of some thug using one? Suppressors often also give tighter shot groups. It is hollywood who has made the suppressor only an assassin tool. A suppressed weapon is no more deadly.

Gs
edit on 17-6-2012 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2012 by GermanShep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

That would be..... Pest control?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Interesting thread, I looked up some NC gun laws and found this at this web page::

B. Weapons of Mass Destruction
North Carolina General Statute § 14-288.8 provides that it is unlawful for any person to manufacture, assemble, possess, store, transport, sell, offer to sell, purchase, offer to purchase, deliver, give to another, or acquire any weapon of mass death and destruction. A weapon of mass death and destruction includes:
1. bombs of all sorts;
2. grenades;
3. rockets having a propellant charge of more than four (4) ounces;
4. a missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter (114) ounce;
5. mmes;
6. any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell of a type particularly suitable for sporting purposes) which will expel a projectile using an explosive, or other propellant, and which has a barrel with a bore of more than one-half(1/2) inch in diameter;
7. any firearm capable of fully automatic fire;
8. any shotgun with a barrel1ength less than eighteen (18) inches or an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches;
9. a rifle with a barrel length ofless than sixteen (16) inches or an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches; 26
10. any muffler or silencer for any fireann, whether or not such fireann is included within this definition; and
11. any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting a device into any weapon described above, and from which a weapon of mass death and destruction may readily be assembled.

So yes, in NC, it's a WMD. But you're cool if...

The only persons allowed to own or possess a weapon of mass death and destruction, as defined above, are the following:

~snip~

5. persons who lawfully possess or own a weapon in compliance with 26 U.S.c. Chapter 53, §§ 5801-5871.

...which translates to "persons who paid a huge tax for the "privilege" of owning such a thing.

Silencers being "illegal" is a very common misconception. They're legal most places, but you have to have the paperwork (proof you paid the tax) to go with them.

edit on 17-6-2012 by tjack because: formatting

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I thought the best part of that tiny article is the last sentence where they say he was released on a written promise to appear in court.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A silencer is not a WMD...sorry, but I know of enough rednecks that could do more damage with their home made chilli.

Besides, if you want a silencer.....you can make one from scratch that doesn't look like a freakin silencer....they're single use and easy to discard......

Or so Ive been told by a friend of a friend who seen it on the internet while casually browsing the history of the Cuisinart.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join