It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need Your Movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I usually keep several titles of movies on my PC to watch when there is nothing going on, or I am just being a slacker. My husband went out of town for a week last week and I watched all the movies I had saved since I was home alone ( not those kinds of movies, you pervs
)

So I need some ideas. I know this board has folks who like some of the same genres that I do, so I figured who better to ask?

I am looking for movies that are akin to The Book of Eli, Another Earth, Inception, etc. I also like movies on certain things discussed here about time travel (Not Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure
) semi believable alien movies, post apocalyptic, etc.

It doesn't matter how old it is either. It doesn't have to be a new release. A lot of the older movies are pretty entertaining to watch. You can throw a comedy in as well if you like. I love to laugh, so if it was funny enough for you to watch twice post it up.

Anything is appreciated!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The man from earth www.imdb.com... good movie makes you think.
The road www.imdb.com... sad and scary.
edit on 15-6-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Thrive is a good one if you have not seen it and it is free on youtube.
edit on 15-6-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Priest is good.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Love www.imdb.com... it isnt about love really it is a sci fi movie about a astronaut stuck on the ISS and some other weird stuff, a really great movie just right for ATSers.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
The man from earth www.imdb.com... good movie makes you think.
The road www.imdb.com... sad and scary.
edit on 15-6-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Thank you! I haven't seen either of these and they both look really good! Especially The Road! Thank you, thank you!

Originally posted by knowledgedesired

Thrive is a good one if you have not seen it and it is free on youtube.
edit on 15-6-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

Bookmarked for sure! I knew you guys had some good ones I had not seen! Thanks to you!

Originally posted by beezzer

Priest is good.

I actually remember the previews to this one and wanted to see it but I wasn't sure it would be worth the as most of those kinds of movies aren't worth the money. I will check it out though because if the bunny doesn't know what's good...Nobody knows what's good.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Movies I Recommend (in no particular order):

Waking Life - about dreams [lotta pseudo-intellectualism but highly watchable]

Red Planet - released in 2000 : Astronauts search for solutions to save a dying Earth by searching on Mars, only to have the mission go terribly awry.

A Scanner Darkly - similar cinematography as 'Waking Life': An undercover cop in a not-too-distant future becomes involved with a dangerous new drug and begins to lose his own identity as a result.

..edit: and these movies aren't the best I've seen, just ones I can remember off the top of my head

'd'oh
edit on 15-6-2012 by GodHatesUsAll because: brainf4rt.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Oh, I guess I should add, "Priest" is about a vampire apocalypse.

Awesome flick.

The bunny knows.

The bunny always knows.

Never doubt the bunny.

(actual photo)

edit on 15-6-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Love www.imdb.com... it isnt about love really it is a sci fi movie about a astronaut stuck on the ISS and some other weird stuff, a really great movie just right for ATSers.

Y'all are awesome!
I searched for movies myself, but it is always better when you kind of know other people didn't think it was crap. And I also didn't see any of these so far while I was searching. At this rate I will have my stock pile back in no time!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodHatesUsAll
Movies I Recommend (in no particular order):

Waking Life - about dreams [lotta pseudo-intellectualism but highly watchable]

Red Planet - released in 2000 : Astronauts search for solutions to save a dying Earth by searching on Mars, only to have the mission go terribly awry.

A Scanner Darkly - similar cinematography as 'Waking Life': An undercover cop in a not-too-distant future becomes involved with a dangerous new drug and begins to lose his own identity as a result.

..edit: and these movies aren't the best I've seen, just ones I can remember off the top of my head

'd'oh
edit on 15-6-2012 by GodHatesUsAll because: brainf4rt.

I have not seen any of these either! I figured I would get a lot that I had seen before, but you guys came through! Thanks for these!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

"Van Diemen's Land " The Omega Man " Silent Earth " All worth checking out

The first is about 18th century prisoners on the run in what was Van Diemens Land, now of course, Tasmania.

The latter two are end - of - the - world - as - we - know - it type films.

The Omega man ( Charlton Heston, 197? was more recently remade as " I am legend ". with Will Smith, both good films.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The Road Warrior (Skip the sequel and prequel in my opinion), the Walking Dead series on Amc (Can be found elsewhere) is usually fairly good, 2012, all of The Resident Evil movies are pretty good, "Super" a odd funny movie starring "Dwight Shrute" from The Office, he's more Dwight than Rainn Wilson, Sahara (New or old versions, both very different), The Usual Suspects (Great twists, misdirection, and suspense), Joe Dirt (Comedy), The Lady Killers (Comedy, Tom Hanks version), The Truman Show (Comedy, suspense, semi-conspiracy), Encounters at the End of the World (Way cool off beat Antartica documentary, Werner Herzog), The Killing Jar (Resivour Dogish, but more violence, twist, better plot), Alcatraz (Former Fox show) and Touch are decent shows IMO, George romero's land of the dead (2005 version), Total Recall (Time travel), Simon Birch (Super dramatic drama, also a "Feel good" movie), just to name a few. PS Red Planet is a awesome movie, as recommended by another poster.
edit on 15-6-2012 by potatotomato2 because: Had to 2nd "Red Planet" for a great movie

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Signs is a suspense/thriller about a priest losing his faith and then seeing signs that make him regain his faith (it also has aliens so it's a 2fer one)

Timecrimes is an action/suspense/thriller about a man in a time-loop and it has a great twist ending

V for Vendetta is an action/suspense movie about inspiring hope and the change needed to free people from an oppressive government

Princess Mononoke is an action/suspense animated movie and a spiritual tale of mankind and their greed that corrupts them and begins to destroy Earth

Children of Men is an action/suspense movie about inspiring hope and freeing mankind from becoming a dieing species.

Triangle is a thriller/horror movie about a woman stuck in a time-loop - it's got a great twist ending too.

Equilibrium is an action movie about overthrowing a futuristic government that has made emotions illegal.

All are about hope and overcoming a disastrous situation.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am an old film junkie.

Have you tried some silent films? Those are interesting, and also gives a glimpse of history. Any comedy by Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin or Harold Lloyd are wonderful (but Buster is the best.....I particularly like 1928's "The Cameraman". Wonderful bit of film making).

For a silent drama that sucks you in and is hypnotic, see "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans" with Janet Gaynor and gorgeous George O'Brien, 1927.

For more sci-fi and weird genre, see "The Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price, 1964; "Soylent Green" with Charleton Heston, 1973; "Silent Running", starring Bruce Dern, 1972; "The Andromeda Strain", starring Arthur Hill, 1971; "Moon", starring Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey, 2009; "Logan's Run", starring Michael York, 1976.

For just general good movies, I particularly like "Seven Days in May", starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, 1964; "Lawrence of Arabia", starring Peter O'Toole, 1962; "Doctor Zhivago", starring Omar Sharif, 1965; "Apocalypse Now", starring Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando, 1979; "Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Love The Bomb", starring Peter Sellers and George C. Scott, 1964,,,,,I could go on and on. So many great movies have been made since the early 1900s. So little time to watch them all!

Have fun!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Just so you can find the names of movies, go to google and do a search on 'top 100 movies'. You'll find sites that list all kinds of movies.

When you find one that you're interested in (say it's "Priest'), do a search for 'Watch Priest online'.

Or you can go to sites like:

topdocumentaryfilms.com...
tv.blinkx.com...
tv.blinkx.com...
www.crackle.com...
www.hulu.com...
www.sidereel.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
They Live
Big Trouble In little China
Escape From New York and Escape From L.A.
Village Of The Damned
In The Mouth Of Madness
The Thing
Remo Williams The Adventure Begins
Quatermass And The Pit
Highlander

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
One of my all time favorites;

The Fountain

www.imdb.com...

Its a very thought-provoking film, which bridges the physical world with.. an otherworldy realm and the entire Universe.

Its worth a watch sometime if you haven't seen it already..

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

"Van Diemen's Land " The Omega Man " Silent Earth " All worth checking out

The first is about 18th century prisoners on the run in what was Van Diemens Land, now of course, Tasmania.

The latter two are end - of - the - world - as - we - know - it type films.

The Omega man ( Charlton Heston, 197? was more recently remade as " I am legend ". with Will Smith, both good films.

I really liked I Am Legend even though "you know who had to die...don't want to give it away for anyone else".

I put your choices on the list too and am thankful for them.

Originally posted by potatotomato2

The Road Warrior (Skip the sequel and prequel in my opinion), the Walking Dead series on Amc (Can be found elsewhere) is usually fairly good, 2012, all of The Resident Evil movies are pretty good, "Super" a odd funny movie starring "Dwight Shrute" from The Office, he's more Dwight than Rainn Wilson, Sahara (New or old versions, both very different), The Usual Suspects (Great twists, misdirection, and suspense), Joe Dirt (Comedy), The Lady Killers (Comedy, Tom Hanks version), The Truman Show (Comedy, suspense, semi-conspiracy), Encounters at the End of the World (Way cool off beat Antartica documentary, Werner Herzog), The Killing Jar (Resivour Dogish, but more violence, twist, better plot), Alcatraz (Former Fox show) and Touch are decent shows IMO, George romero's land of the dead (2005 version), Total Recall (Time travel), Simon Birch (Super dramatic drama, also a "Feel good" movie), just to name a few. PS Red Planet is a awesome movie, as recommended by another poster.
edit on 15-6-2012 by potatotomato2 because: Had to 2nd "Red Planet" for a great movie

You have good taste too!!! Touch quickly became one of my favorite shows. I also love Rainn Wilson. A lot of the others sound like good picks that I am adding as I type this. Thank you.

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

Signs is a suspense/thriller about a priest losing his faith and then seeing signs that make him regain his faith (it also has aliens so it's a 2fer one)

Timecrimes is an action/suspense/thriller about a man in a time-loop and it has a great twist ending

V for Vendetta is an action/suspense movie about inspiring hope and the change needed to free people from an oppressive government

Princess Mononoke is an action/suspense animated movie and a spiritual tale of mankind and their greed that corrupts them and begins to destroy Earth

Children of Men is an action/suspense movie about inspiring hope and freeing mankind from becoming a dieing species.

Triangle is a thriller/horror movie about a woman stuck in a time-loop - it's got a great twist ending too.

Equilibrium is an action movie about overthrowing a futuristic government that has made emotions illegal.

All are about hope and overcoming a disastrous situation.

Signs was good! The rest I haven't seen yet which makes it better!
I suppose I went without cable so long I missed a ton of stuff. V for Vendetta is one I had wanted to see a while back, but forgot about when I got a new PC to watch it on. Thank you for adding awesomness!

edit on 6/15/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/15/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I am an old film junkie.

Have you tried some silent films? Those are interesting, and also gives a glimpse of history. Any comedy by Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin or Harold Lloyd are wonderful (but Buster is the best.....I particularly like 1928's "The Cameraman". Wonderful bit of film making).

For a silent drama that sucks you in and is hypnotic, see "Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans" with Janet Gaynor and gorgeous George O'Brien, 1927.

For more sci-fi and weird genre, see "The Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price, 1964; "Soylent Green" with Charleton Heston, 1973; "Silent Running", starring Bruce Dern, 1972; "The Andromeda Strain", starring Arthur Hill, 1971; "Moon", starring Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey, 2009; "Logan's Run", starring Michael York, 1976.

For just general good movies, I particularly like "Seven Days in May", starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, 1964; "Lawrence of Arabia", starring Peter O'Toole, 1962; "Doctor Zhivago", starring Omar Sharif, 1965; "Apocalypse Now", starring Martin Sheen and Marlon Brando, 1979; "Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Love The Bomb", starring Peter Sellers and George C. Scott, 1964,,,,,I could go on and on. So many great movies have been made since the early 1900s. So little time to watch them all!

Have fun!

Thanks so much! I am giving some of these a go as well. Who can argue taste with some one who liked Soylent Green?

How I Learned To Love The Bomb was a good one too! I just watched that one a few weeks ago! Nice! There is something to say about the older movies I have to agree. You don't always need mega million dollar productions to make a good film.

Originally posted by jiggerj

Just so you can find the names of movies, go to google and do a search on 'top 100 movies'. You'll find sites that list all kinds of movies.

When you find one that you're interested in (say it's "Priest'), do a search for 'Watch Priest online'.

Or you can go to sites like:

topdocumentaryfilms.com...
tv.blinkx.com...
tv.blinkx.com...
www.crackle.com...
www.hulu.com...
www.sidereel.com...
www.youtube.com...

Those are a few that got me started on this craze!
We ditched cable a while back and I don't know why it took me so long to figure out that these places existed. Awesome recommendations and thank you, because I was lacking a good documentary site. I love those about as much as anything else!

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
They Live
Big Trouble In little China
Escape From New York and Escape From L.A.
Village Of The Damned
In The Mouth Of Madness
The Thing
Remo Williams The Adventure Begins
Quatermass And The Pit
Highlander

I have to check out your entire list now too simply because of Highlander and Big Trouble In Little China! Thank you!! Good taste IMO.

Originally posted by Isabelx
One of my all time favorites;

The Fountain

www.imdb.com...

Its a very thought-provoking film, which bridges the physical world with.. an otherworldy realm and the entire Universe.

Its worth a watch sometime if you haven't seen it already..

I haven't seen it, but now I will! Thank you. It looks right up my alley!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Some cool movies I watched on Youtube recently:
- Horror Express. A classic horror movie with a great setting and atmosphere.
www.imdb.com...
- Trollhunter. An offbeat and very original Norwegian production, no doubt being remade into a terrible US action movie. www.imdb.com...
- The Devil Rides Out - A classic occult thriller.
www.imdb.com...

I just watched "Van Diemen's Land" suggested above, and found the lack of wildlife and natives a bit disappointing, but a well acted drama nevertheless.
For more history with a touch of cannibalism I'd recommend "Hans Staden", a period piece from Brazil (although reading a bit on the history first might help, since almost the whole film is in Tupinamba, a Native American language).
www.imdb.com...
edit on 15-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join