It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Anti-GMO Labeling Corporate Front Groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Meet the Anti-GMO Labeling Corporate Front Groups

articles.mercola.c om

What do a former mouthpiece for tobacco and big oil, a corporate-interest PR flack, and the regional director of a Monsanto-funded tort reform group have in common?

They're all part of the anti-labeling PR team that will soon unleash a massive advertising and PR campaign in California, designed to scare voters into rejecting the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Acti.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.activistpost.com

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
A commenter on activistpost.com gave this link and I think everyone should know about it, even if you aren't from California.I think it's a despicable cause myself, but these corporations and individuals are actively trying to stop people from knowing exactly where their food is coming from.

You are what you eat, ya know? This is exactly why I would encourage everyone who is able to, to support your local farmers and interact with them.

articles.mercola.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

So, lemme see if I got this right, theres a vote from PR bloodsuckers that makes it so you can't know if you're eating GMO?

eta: we should stop all this GMO s* while its in its infancy (sort-of), and get back to local farms...amirite?
edit on 15-6-2012 by Iconic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Wow, i'm not even surprised to hear this...

Tom Hiltachk: Monsanto's Man in California.

Tom Hiltachk is the PR gunslinger behind the Coalition Against the Costly Food Labeling Proposition (CACFLP), an anti-labeling front group. A partner at the Sacramento-based lobbying firm Bell, McAndrews & Hiltachk, Hiltachk is no stranger to front groups.

With a little help from his friends at Philip Morris and R.J. Reynolds, he helped organize the Californians for Smokers' Rights group to fight anti-smoking initiatives in the 1980s and 1990s..... Source
< br />

This guy will fight for your death!
edit on 15-6-2012 by Jeedawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is alarming. Not suprising, in the least though.
If you buy a sandwich in a restaurant, add up the travel distance of all the parts and you've got one hell of a hodgepodge from many different locales.
The mileage that the ingredients travelled to become a sandwich is over the top.
It is insane to think that a society can sustain with a food supply chain that is so drawn out.
Throw in GMO, and you have a very dangerous game of roulette.
Buy local, and support your farmers.
Grow your own whenever possible.

Ya'll already know that now don't you?
Thank-you OP for this information.

The Rev

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

As far as I know, the biggest GM crops are: soybeans, corn, alfalfa, sugar beets and canola/rapeseed. I'm not sure if we do the modified cotton in America, but I wouldn't doubt it.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Ok, these people are pure evil. Multi-national corporations like Monsanto and Simplot are lobbying heavily AGAINST the required labeling of genetically modified food. Unlike every other product in existence, the makers of GMO food products DON'T want you to know about them. Does this sound suspicious to anyone else?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It's inevitable that this system will crash eventually. Look at the tobacco company. They fought long and hard to try to keep the warning labels off of cigarettes. Now every other commercial on TV is a horrific anti-tobacco ad, and there are pictures of black lungs on cigarette packs. For now we just need to spread awareness. It's ridiculous how many people I get into conversations with and bring up GMO's, and most people don't even know what GMO stands for!

GMO's can be hard to avoid on account of the fact that 80% of corn crops in the US are genetically modified. And nearly all processed food contains a genetically engineered corn ingredient. So I always look for this label on all of the food I buy:

edit on 15-6-2012 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RightInTwo

As long as the revolving door between FDA/USDA and Monsanto exists, it will be a sisyphean endeavor to end it.

Here's another article (with some good sources at the end) about the revolving door policy between these two agencies.

www.naturalnews.com...

I think we need something other than the GAO to watch the FDA. They're obviously slacking in their duties, or they're in on the collusion.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
That idiot lawyer hiltachk has a history of creating front groups funded by big oil or tobacco companies to try and prevent laws from passing that hinder those said corps in any way.

Here's his contact info if anyone feels like calling him with your opinion:
Main Office: Sacramento: 455 Capitol Mall Suite 801 Sacramento, California 95814 Phone: 916 442-7757 FAX: 916 442-7759

Santa Monica Office: 1441 Fourth Street Santa Monica, California 90401 Phone: 310 458-1405 FAX: 310 260-2666

new topics

top topics

join