It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloomberg soda ban: Board of Health eyes popcorn and milkshakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Hi.

Are you kidding me?!? Who the hell do these people think they are?

www.cbsnews.com...

While the New York City Board of Health approves of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's plan to cut all large sugary drinks from New Yorker's diets, some members are taking issue with one major point: They don't think the plan goes far enough.

As HealthPop previously reported, Bloomberg has proposed a ban of all sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces throughout the city's restaurants, street carts and stadiums. Only grocery stores and convenience stores would be exempt, as well as drinks that natural fruit juices and drinks with over 50 percent milk. This means while a Big Gulp would still be allowed to be sold at 7-11s, but movie theaters will have to get rid of their larger options. Those businesses who do not comply would face $200 fines.

So this got passed!!!! (or will be soon.)

Dr. Joel Forman, pointed out that even 100 percent juice and milk-containing beverages have large amounts of calories and should not be excluded.

While Dr. Kenneth Popler, board member and president of the Staten Island Mental Health Society, recognized that it would infringe on New Yorkers' rights, he felt that the health benefits were worth it, the Wall Street Journal reported. Obesity has led to 5,800 deaths a year in New York City and costs taxpayers $4 billion, according to statements presented at the meeting.

I don't think they should make us all pay because a few people can't control themselves. Really 5,800 people and how many people died because of domestic abuse or gang activity......drugs?

Give me a break this is 'them' taking control brick by brick.

edit on 14-6-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
Hi.

Are you kidding me?!? Who the hell do these people think they are?

The NWO!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I guess so and they aren't even trying to be sneaky anymore.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I guess so and they aren't even trying to be sneaky anymore.

Were they ever? I think they have always been pretty forward about the whole thing, but now it's easier to see because of the vast information and quick spread of news...mainstream or other.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This is so stupid! What's to stop people from buying 4 of the regular size drinks? Are they going to put a limit on how many sugary drinks people can buy within a certain time? Will there be punchcards? Perhaps in-theater tests to see how much is in your system already before you buy your second one? Will there be scanning machines in the movie aisle to scan the contents of the customers' stomachs?

Ack! They don't know when to stop!

edit on 6/14/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is so stupid! What's to stop people from buying 4 of the regular size drinks? Are they going to put a limit on how many sugary drinks people can buy within a certain time? Will there be punchcards? Perhaps in-theater tests to see how much is in your system already before you buy your second one? Will there be scanning machines in the movie aisle to scan the contents of the customers' stomachs?

Ack! They don't know when to stop!

edit on 6/14/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)
Don't give them ideas BH!

The next thing you know, we will have calorie debit cards. Every time you make a purchase you swipe your calorie card, if you exceed your USDA allotted daily caloric requirement, NO SALE!
They could even work the food pyramid into it. You can have this much fat, this much protein and this many carbs....

Oh no, did I just give a bureaucrat another idea?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Oh no, did I just give a bureaucrat another idea?

No, but you gave me one! I'm trying to lose a few more lbs.
Oh, Mr. Bloomberg, I need your help!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I do not understand why this is an issue for you people. You obviously are not able to regulate yourself in what you purchase and put into your bodies. You were allowed that freedom now the government will step in and keep you safe from yourself as well as from terrorists. There should be rationing of food and drink items. Too many of you just because you can, are over consuming these products that could be better used by those without the mean to procure them.

When the government becomes so bloated it becomes over-reaching, alas you will all sit here and complain about it and yet you will do NOTHING. So why cry foul. Take your medicine and move on.

With the government ever expanding its power, it is only logical that it will extend its control of the people it governs. The fact that the obesity rate has increased exponentially in this country is nothing more than grounds for them to extend their control in a seemingly harmless manner.
edit on 14-6-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This article and actions of the board shows that the "slipper-slope" argument is sometimes correct. While I am staunchly supportive of New Yorkers to dictate how business will operate within their city, it makes me wonder just to what end will they allow a small board of hand selected bureaucrats dictate their freedom?

The board members sat upon their thrones contemplating what other edicts they could decree: popcorn at movie theaters and milk-based drinks such as milkshakes and those dastardly delicious mocha java chocolate chip frappe (or whatever).

So as the next phase begins -- in which there is a "public commentary" period -- will it even matter if the great People of New York negatively view such controls? Is the public commentary period just a facade and the King's word will become law?

Why place a ban on sizes when I can still buy as many as I wish? Or refill it as many times my heart and growing jelly-belly so desires? Will this miraculously slim the waists of those who exhibit the clear signs of lack of control when it comes to digesting large amounts of calories while only moving from the couch to the refrigerator -- I know there are those who do struggle with weight issue from legitimate health issues, but many in that situation understand that their diet need be strict; it is not them I speak of here.

What happens when soda, popcorn and milkshakes are not enough? When they look at those restaurants that enjoy providing happy customers with plates filled mounds of fettuccine smothered in white sauce -- in their words, its about calories right? Or supermarkets that sell a yummy 1/2 gallon of your favorite ice cream and we silly peasants cannot remain in control and down the whole of the bucket while weeping silently watching the Notebook?

Maybe they will declare that we are to wake up in the morning and gather in militaristic fashion for group exercise -- its about obesity right? Or maybe cars will be banned from city streets so citizens of the great City of New York can offset the calories (and foods) they have yet entwined their tyrannical fingers into. Maybe when the one lone voice in the city decides -- I will drink a 32oz soda while dipping my hand endlessly into my tub of butter laden popcorn regardless of your edicts and controls! -- will this madness of needing and wanting a daddy figure insure we are good little adults will soon pass.

Just maybe....
edit on 14-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: Yeah, that last sentence was....in need of some tender love.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Soooooo ....

Seems to me that this is the slippery slope to banning all sugary drinks.
Why?
Well, whats to stop the people from buying two regular size Coke's or Mountain Dews? Nothing...yet.
So, then they'll say "you are only allowed one per purchase."
Then when they realize that people are hitting one store to get one Coke and another store to get another Coke, they'll then say, "No Coke For You."

And then it's ..... pasta, because you know, carbs are bad for you.
Then it's ..... bread, see above.
Then it's ..... beer, wine or margaritas.
Cookies, cakes, twinkies, ...

Wow, this really is beginning to remind of me of We The Living.
It doesn't happen overnight, it's a long, slow process.
You're conditioned to believe that they know what is good for you.

So this way when they give you 1 loaf of bread, 1 carton of milk and a lb of potatoes and tell you that if you want more you have to work for them, you break because you're tired and hungry.

It happened, it happens and it's happening. Slow and painful the process is.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Why place a ban on sizes when I can still buy as many as I wish?

Exactly. This is an indicator to me that this action is being taken, NOT to help people out, but to garner favor in one demographic or another. Something that can so EASILY be worked around is a waste of time in our legislating bodies... Completely worthless.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

They have to do it in steps to acclimate the population to the control mechanisms, if they do not and they were to implement the full blown plan in full there would be a large push back from the citizens of NY. If they slowly indoctrinate them into the program removing their freedom of choice a little at a time then the clueless public will accept the ruling doctrines of their masters more willingly.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The end goal is to have everybody eating nothing but bread, gruel, and water. Or gain a monopoly on soy products to substitute so they can make a killing.

WAKE UP NEW YORKERS!

So much for wanting to live in New York.

I'm tired of this tyrannical nanny state of Amerika.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think New Yorkers should stage a protest... like 'Big-a$$ soft drink day' All protestors would go about their daily routines carrying a 2 liter bottle of soda, Hawaiian Punch, iced tea, etc.

new topics

top topics

join