It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange flashing light

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
So for the past 3 nights I have been watching this light in the sky near where I live. It is in the SW and at about 45 degrees up from the horizon. It flashes once every 30 seconds like clockwork and has been in the exact position each night. It does not move at all. I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick and wonder if anyone else can confirm what I am seeing and provide any possible explanations. I dont have a camera capable of capturing it. What stays stationary in the sky for 3 nights? One flash every 30 seconds.... so strange.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Tybrus

Several months ago I had a thread that described a light that would flash at regular intervals and did not move. This was here in NE Ohio. It wasn't a real bright light, only about as bright as a star. How bright is this light you're seeing?

Thanks for posting.
edit on 10-6-2012 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tybrus

Any chance you can let us know what time you are seeing this flashing light? You say at night, but not when exactly...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Could also just be a satellite.

Or maybe the new drones.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Tybrus

Does the light move with the stars as the night goes on or does it remain stationary with the stars as a background?

There have been a couple of threads lately about stationary flashing lights in the sky.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Tybrus

You can download this: stellarium for free,

so you can see what belongs or doesn't belong in the sky as you see it.

Just a tip if you do though, get your lat/long and altitude (in meters) first.

have fun and good luck in finding your answer.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The light does not move with the stars, it stays stationary. It is roughly the same brightness as the stars nearby when it does flash and I watched it the first night from 10:30 PM Atlantic Time to 1:00 AM. Last night I saw it starting at 10:15 and checked randomly until midnight. The only "normal" thing I think it could be is a television satellite but that would not explain the flashing would it?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It could be a tumbling satellite. It'd have to be geosynchronous to stay in the same part of the sky all the time.

Here is a discussion on another site about almost the same thing. Lots of useful info if you're looking for an answer. www.bautforum.com...
edit on 11-6-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Tybrus

Very strange. If it was a satellite then it would have to be in geo synchronous orbit. The only other things I could imagine hovering in the same spot for a period of time is a drone or helicopter, but then we have fuel constraints?

So we most likely have a geo synchronous 'tumbling' (somehow?) Satellite or something more exotic IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
So I read through the other forums mentioned and everyone seems to be of the opinion that even if it were a satellite that it would not flash at the frequency that it does.

As an update, last night it was there again only at a slightly higher elevation and to the right.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That's strange man. Wonder what it could be, maybe it a UFO maybe not but i will say for sure don't leave it for chance that it might have something to do with new projects are goverement testing out. I'm not saying it not Alien in origin but who know's. As long as it not hovering over your house or around your block i wouldn't really worry to much about it.
Good post man.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Is there a military base nearby? The TARS balloons are generally in the south, and Caribbean, but I'm sure there are others in operation. You could be seeing the strobe that is attached to warn other aircraft that the balloon is there.

The US Coast Guard also has a Mobile Aerostat Program, where they deploy balloons from ships to monitor the area around them, so you could be seeing a testing program for an Aerostat.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Is there a military base nearby? The TARS balloons are generally in the south, and Caribbean, but I'm sure there are others in operation. You could be seeing the strobe that is attached to warn other aircraft that the balloon is there.

The US Coast Guard also has a Mobile Aerostat Program, where they deploy balloons from ships to monitor the area around them, so you could be seeing a testing program for an Aerostat.

Well your right about that. Is there base near by or something? Maybe it a weather balloon, or a drone. But your idea about the strobe attached to a balloon is more likely to occur and maybe that's what going on. But then again like I mention it could be an UFO, but needless to say as long as it not following you or causeing you any problems I wouldn't worry much about it. Curiosity killed that cat man, just saying all you wondering about what it maybe might lead you to the point of abduction. Hopefully it won't progress to that, hope I don't scare you cause of that.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wheres the video

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There is base Gagetown about 25 Kms to the East and although I see constant flare activity from the base thats usually about it, and an airport about 5 Kms to the East but I doubt very much it is related to either of those.

As for video, if I had any kind of camera capable of capturing it I definitely would have. Its been 4 nights now and I know there are others on this site from my area. I wish they would chime in.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
me and a friend have seen the exact same thing. same location and all. im not sure what it is but im not gonna jump to any conclusions. nice to know im not the only one in the country who has seen it. id star and flag if i could.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I still wondering is this thing still going on? It been a few days so just wanted to know is all.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I saw a flashing light last night in the Corpus Christi, TX sky. It would flash about every 36 seconds and appeared to remain stationary with respect to azimuth. It moved slowly with respect to the stars. First spotted it around 11pm local time near the star Syrma (Just west of Saturn last night). It moved to the left throughout the next hour leading me to believe it was stationary.

Could be a geosynchronous satellite that's tumbling, but why would it be brighter (what I saw was roughly the brightness of Saturn or a very bright star) than other satellites that we saw last night, which are a lot closer to the Earth's surface than geosynch? Geosynch. satellites orbit at around 22,000 miles above the equator while the satellites that we see going across the sky every night are at around 1,000 miles.

I doubt weather balloons or other stationary aircraft would have such a slow period flash if the point of the flash is to warn other aircraft. A plane that flies up that high will usually be travelling pretty fast and 36 second flashes would be worthless for collision avoidance.

My brother saw the same type of thing in Pensacola, FL a few months ago. I forget what the period on that one was.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Just an update that it is there again tonight. It's fairly close to Saturn right now. If someone could see it up north that would confirm that it isn't something local (like a tethered balloon or other aircraft).

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jnavyboy

I am not real far north from you, just San Antonio. Since my first sighting, which was an orange orb a little over a month ago, I check the Mufon site almost every night. On 6/16, someone a little south of San Antonio reported the same thing your are describing on Mufon case# 39382. They also saw it several nights in a row and also timed the flashes they claimed it was making, and decided they were consistent. I checked Stellarium and it does show a star to the lower left of Saturn, so that might me what you two are seeing. It was cloudy here tonight, but I think I will try and remember to go out tomorrow night and look. I would think it would not have a consistent flashing if it is a star, but I really do not know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join