It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual interactive displays.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This is quite old, I don't know if someone has already posted it.
I found this site io2technology.
It is about a guy from MIT who developed virtual display - now it's patent pending. IT IS NOT A HOLOGRAPHY! The image is produced by only by ejecting iluminated air.

Description from the site:
"Air comes into the device, is modified, then ejected and illuminated to produce the image. Nothing is added to the air so there isn`t any harmful gas or liquid emitted from the device, and nothing needs to be refilled.

The images are easily viewed in an office environment. Like any computer monitor or TV, images appear brighter the lower the ambient light. Also, just like viewing any computer monitor or TV, viewing a Heliodisplay in direct sunlight is almost impossible.

Images can be seen up to 75� off aspect for a total viewing area of over 150� -- similar to an LCD screen. Viewing requires no special glasses or background/foreground screening.

The image is planar (2D), not volumetric (3D). Like any computer monitor, it can project simulated 3D. Sometimes such images will look like real 3D when viewed from more than a few feet away because there is no physical depth reference.

The Heliodisplay is backward compatible and accepts most 2D video sources (PC, TV, DVD, HDTV, Video game consoles). For connection to a computer, the Heliodisplay uses a standard monitor VGA connection; for TV or DVD viewing, it connects using a standard RGB video cable.

This Heliodisplay is FULLY INTERACTIVE, like a virtual touchscreen. A hand or finger can act as a mouse. No special glove or pointing device is required. Just as you use a mouse to move the cursor on a traditional computer monitor, you can use your finger to move the cursor around the Heliodisplay image

In the course of developing the technology, We have built Heliodisplays that displayed images ranging from 5" (12cm) to 42" (105cm). The device, and thus the projected image, can be oriented vertically or horizontally. Devices can be ganged together for one long (or high) continuous image. The technology can be customized (image size, image resolution; interactivity) for different applications. "

Potencial aplications are military, TV, computer, displays in museums etc...

Look at the site for more images+some videos.
Technology is not perfect yet, but it would be nice to have 1 at home.
. The price should be comparable to plasma and LCD displays.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Like one of things Princess send the help message to Luke?

I would like to get my hands on one of her, no not that the living person, you dirty mind. Maybe that too.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Man, that stuff is amazing. I really want some of that technology. You will see me at the head of the line when it goes on sale.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I'll be the first to say it, that's going to make some awesome video games

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Maybe Xbox 3 or PS4 will have it
. Just imagine a compact console that could be easily moved and used like a notebook without using TV or display. Also the another interesting feature is that one man can see a image from 1 side and the second can see absolutely another from the other side!! - multiplayer on 1 console.
Or future mobil phones - current ones are limited by display size - so extremly small mobils could be made just with virtual interactive displays - that means also no keyboard is needed.
Personally I think only holography could compete against this.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It's not 3d though. It just projects a 2d image in mid air.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
very cool. Assuming the price can come down to that of a digital projector the most likely use for this that I could see would be for inhome entertainment systems. Imagine having the picture size of a projector, but not requiring a nice big blank wall or projector screen to use it?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Heres a site that says they have the real 3d technology now.

3DSOLAR

new topics

top topics

join