It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An idea about 'Stars'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
As we all know, when you star a post, the screen refreshes and adds the star to the post.
(7 stars becomes 8 before your very eyes for example)

When a post has let's say, 8 stars plus the "empty" star for you to click, the screen refreshes and if 8 stars remain, that means you have already starred the post at a previous time.

Perhaps there is a way to make the "empty star" not show if you have already starred the post ?
(as well as if the post is your own post)

Something similar to the "Flag" feature maybe ?

And maybe a way to "un-star" a post if you change your mind or click it by accident ?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Good idea. But I think a better idea would be to get rid of stars all together

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by paradox

And what about flags then? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I don't have a problem with flags. They actually serve a purpose.
edit on 6-7-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
It's always been easy for me to keep track of stars but that would be a nice feature. I would really appreciate an 'unstar' feature. When I'm posting on the tablet I keep accidentally hitting the stupid things.

Or like the other guy said we could just do away with the stupid things altogether.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Explanation: Flagged!

The stars and flags on my threads an my posts are mine. Likewise with you stars and flags ... they are yours.

Why worry about what is other members business and partial property although I do cenceed that TAN has and always has retained all and in full property rights over ATS etc. But s&f IS personal and I don't think that the Amigos et al. would begrudge us all thinking that we ourselves earned them.

Now in the case of a misplaced star ... can one not be even a little generous and not sweat the small stuff.

Finally if one is going to be so prescious about the awrding of them, then maybe take better care next time!

Personal Disclosure: I do agree that making it easier to be made aware beforehand that one has already starred a thread woud be very nice functionality ... but its also not much of an issue as its just one ATS thread page and can easily be fixed and reloaded UNLESS of course one has a bandwidth issue and one is so tight fisted so as to make scrooge mcduck look like a spendthrift.

edit on 7-6-2012 by OmegaLogos because: edited to fix spelling.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think the alteration to the star mechanism you suggest is a good one. I would not have thought it would pose a massive issue to those responsible for actually making these things happen, since the system already remembers wether or not a particular member has already given a star to a particular post, so it would be easier than creating entirely new mechanisms.

However, to those who say that stars ought to be abolished, I cannot say I agree. I find stars a useful measure of how well I am posting, and wether or not I have managed to get my point across, or added something worth while to a topic by posting my thoughts. I also use stars to gauge the general trend of public opinion on the site, by comparing the star count of posts from either or all sides of a given debate or topic.

Also , new members will find that if they examine highly starred posts, they will often find that those posts contain content, thinking, or wisdoms that are either new, deep, or in some other way useful. One of the things that has been most complained about over the last few years has been the influx of people who think perhaps a little less, or a little less deeply than some of the old guard. The star system is there so that everyone gets to benifit from being able to look at a post and know what the users think of it. By making a careful study of heavily starred posts, new users should be able to ensure that thier posts emulate the quality of some of the classics here at ATS.

I know there are those out there who think that the star system is some sort of pathetic popularity contest, and others who even use it in such a way. I do not use it this way, and I would hope that the majority of posters do not either. We should use the tools we are given by the site to make sure it remains a healthy and enjoyable place to learn, talk, discuss and debate, rather than complaining about the unfortunate effects of misuse of those tools. Remember, if the majority of people here on ATS use the star system properly, to show appreciation where it is rightly due, then the problem will simply go away,and we can go back to having a great time with all the amazing people, and topics on show here.

I love this place, just the way it is, and I do not see why we ought to go poking around in its guts trying to find a problem, when the only problem is that a minority of people use the star system, or any other mechanism the site provides, improperly, or fail to attribute the correct respect to it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think evryone should start with 1,000 stars.

When you star someone, they gain one and you lose one.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Good input !

Thanks ...

reply to post by beezzer

I think evryone should start with 1,000 stars.

When you star someone, they gain one and you lose one.

That sounds interesting

I wonder how many members would end up in negative territory

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Wouldn't it drive people to create more quality posts and threads?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
As we all know, when you star a post, the screen refreshes and adds the star to the post.
(7 stars becomes 8 before your very eyes for example)

When a post has let's say, 8 stars plus the "empty" star for you to click, the screen refreshes and if 8 stars remain, that means you have already starred the post at a previous time.

Perhaps there is a way to make the "empty star" not show if you have already starred the post ?
(as well as if the post is your own post)

Something similar to the "Flag" feature maybe ?

And maybe a way to "un-star" a post if you change your mind or click it by accident ?

Thanks.

Too much time on your hands? While ai love your posts, and have starred many, I think this is just not even a remote priority.

You click to star, and if it adds one, you are set. If it doesn't add one, then you have already starred it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Wouldn't it drive people to create more quality posts and threads?

Yep,

sure would.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I think the stars serve a purpose other than just a "feel good" approval. When I stumble on a thread with 3,4+ pages I'll often scroll through and only read posts that have a good number of stars. Usually saves time as they generally identify posts worth reading. Not always, but usually.
Plus I like being able to add approval to another's post without having to write a one line reply.

I like the idea of removing the star outline if you've already given a star, but I can usually remember if I have or not. I also like the idea of being able to revoke stars already given, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter all that much.

I'm going to fall on the side of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
isnt that alot of work for someone else to go to just because you cant remember if youd allready starred a post?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
they keep me happy, when skies are grey.

twinkle twinkle, little star.

who caressssssssssssssss

I like beezers idea.

then again, the way it is now is okay I suppose...

in 1 way, you can tell who says a lot about whatever they can..

but in the other way, you can tell (if the ideas are bad) that there are a lot of likeminded idiots.

new topics

top topics

join