It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Judaism?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
We hear a lot about other religious groups, but I really don't know exactly what Judaism is, or what the beliefs of the Jewish people are.

What do you all believe? How do you perceive God? What happens to your soul when you die? I can spend time on google finding out for myself, and I have looked into it, but I have had a difficult time pinpointing the commonly held beliefs between religious Jews.

I have read parts of the Talmud, however I don't know how exactly it fits into Judaism. Honestly I don't even know which books Judaism considers to be "holy".

This is not intended to be insulting to anyone, I am curious, and want to have a better understanding of what Judaism is.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

You know the Old Testament?
That right there plus a bit, minus a bit is the Jewish teaching.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It is a fairy tale.
And a lot of its followers have shown themselves to be radical, unpredictable and dangerous terrorists/human rights rapists.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Well, the Old Testament, the Torah and as you mentioned the Talmud are all sacred to Jews. I couldn't provide any immense insight into their beliefs, but since you asked, I'll share mine with you.

Humans can never know for sure if there is a God, but they can know the personality of that God on the assumption that he (or she) exists. Life is just a complex system of chemistry that has occurred over millions of years. This, to me, is more beautiful than the idea of a creator. I hate to use the term 'agnostic' because I feel it's a cop out word (if you don't know if God exists, you don't believe, so what does that make you exactly?), but the term atheist is stuffed with ignorance and people who I find to be rather obnoxious. But I guess I'd have to use that term.

However, back to my main point: there is no need for a god, but modern science does not completely eliminate the possibility, just renders it meaningless and ripe for abuse by zealots that have paralyzed society with silly folks tales of Hell and punishment. However, if this god exists, he is the most incompetent creator in history (look at the world around you), or he's just evil. He's not my friend.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Yeah, well I don't see anyone at my local Temple sacrificing sheep. And I'm pretty sure that today's Judaism is a little different that what we saw in the old Testament.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I think the best way to find your questions would be to ask your Rabbi or other spiritual leaders. They would be able to give you a in depth overview of everything. Me being new here I would believe them over people on the internet.

I am not a religious person myself but I commend you on keeping your faith. Hope you find what you are looking for.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Sol23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Anyone ever read Pratchett's description of a Dwarf? "Vimes, listening with his mouth open, wondered why the hell it was that dwarfs believed that they had no religion and no priests. Being a dwarf was a religion."

This is why not a lot is heard about Jews. Jews can pick another faith to believe in, and it doesn't change the fact that they are still Jews. This is why so much of the OT is merely the scribe's notes about the basic history of their kingdom. This is why Paul was so big on the phrase "to the Jews first, and also to the Greeks".

And as for the Red Helifer:

The absolute rarity of the animal, combined with the detailed ritual in which it is used, have given the Red Heifer special status in Jewish tradition. It is cited as the prime example of a khok, or biblical law for which there is no apparent logic, and is therefore of absolute Divine origin. Because the state of ritual purity obtained through the ashes of a Red Heifer is a necessary prerequisite for participating in Temple service, efforts have been made in modern times by Jews wishing for biblical ritural purity (see tumah and taharah) and in anticipation of the building of The Third Temple to locate a red heifer and recreate the ritual. However, multiple candidates have been disqualified, as late as 2002. (See the "Temple Institute" section below.)
Here
Those Jews who would still like to practice animal sacrifice will not do so, due to not having the Temple (Mosque squats on top of it), not because they won't do it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Judaism is based on the Mosaic teaching of the Torah, Tanakh, or Old Testament. Later, Jewish philosophers and lawyers came up with the Talmud, which was a more in depth look into what passages in the Torah meant. There are just as many "crazy" passages in the Talmud as there are in the Bible, if not more.

These teachings aren't really original, except in it as a whole. You can see many parallels into other religions and civilizations at the time or prior.

While the Torah was what started Judaism, it's claimed that the Talmud is what kept the "Jewish identity" throughout the centuries.

One thing you might hear is that if you're a Jew, then you're a part of a race. This is not true.

They don't believe in Satan or Hell.

Also, Abraham is the patriarch of Judaism.
edit on 6-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Dear downtown436,

I am not Jewish; but, am a Christian and would recommend that you ask your Rabbi about the basics of the religion. I will however attempt to explain it in a nutshell. The starting point is of course God, one God to all people; but, he set the Jews apart to be a sign to the nations. He cut a special deal with them, he said he would be their God and bless them and they would be his people, he also told them that if they ignored him, they would suffer at the hands of other nations. They asked for rules, so he gave them rules. When they ignored him, he had them removed from Israel; but, said they would return just before the end times. They believe that God promised to bring a Messiah back to lead their nation and they do not believe that Jesus was that Messiah, they believe he has yet to come and will only come once the third temple is rebuilt. Of course, just like any other group, not all Jews agree on everything. There are very conservative Jews and very liberal Jews, so, I don't know that you can get one answer on peripheral issues. As for the "rules" they are to follow, those are laid out in the first five books of the bible, which, they consider to be the writings of Moses.

I also want to add something about the Kabbalah. That should not be considered "Jewish" as it is actually eastern mystical teachings that were brought back from Babylon in the same way that gnostic teachings have sometimes worked around Christianity.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Yes and no.
There are a lot of traditions-like waving a chicken over ones head while saying a prayer-then sacrificing said chicken for absolution...Ritual killing of animals to satisfy dietary requirements (kosher, though halal is more known for it being cruel on the animal.).

However, biblical Animal Sacrifice proper stopped when the last Temple was destroyed around 70C.E.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

Yeah, well I don't see anyone at my local Temple sacrificing sheep. And I'm pretty sure that today's Judaism is a little different that what we saw in the old Testament.

Sacrifices stopped 2000 years ago as was prophecied although they have begun again recently with the burnt offerings and sacrifices in Israel, they did the pasach sacrifice this year. They wanted to do it at beit ha'Mikdash but the government is too scared of causing a muslim uprising.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Followup... Todays Christianity has nothing to do with what is taught in the New Testament

Still, its supposed to reflect the teachings.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0

Followup... Todays Christianity has nothing to do with what is taught in the New Testament

Still, its supposed to reflect the teachings.

Says you. You'd be surprised how many of us are going back to our messianic jewish roots. The way home is to go back to the beginning.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

OK-to clarify: Mainstream American Christianity is not about love and forgiveness. Its about being seen a pius while shooting brown people for the lord.

Most churches don't preach anything about love-they preach about political activism.

Jesus in the bible would not recognize anything about modern Christianity. (note-I am not Christian)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Dear lordtyp0,

OK-to clarify: Mainstream American Christianity is not about love and forgiveness. Its about being seen a pius while shooting brown people for the lord.

I am a Christian and I would agree with you; but, to discuss it further on this thread would be to be off topic and enough threads on spirituality do that.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Most churches don't preach anything about love-they preach about political activism.

Jesus in the bible would not recognize anything about modern Christianity. (note-I am not Christian)

Thats a stereotype dude. Yeah there are some that may be like that, but they aren't christians. Jesus said to know them by the fruits of their labors.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Explanation: St*rred!

Uhmmm?

Yes and no.
There are a lot of traditions-like waving a chicken over ones head while saying a prayer-then sacrificing said chicken for absolution...Ritual killing of animals to satisfy dietary requirements (kosher, though halal is more known for it being cruel on the animal.).

However, biblical Animal Sacrifice proper stopped when the last Temple was destroyed around 70C.E.

IMO and from what I have seen on tv [in australia on sbs.tv ] on aboitoirs [in Australia], when it comes to the issue of respecting the life of the animal then, although I personally do not agree with the method used by kosher or halal butchers [mainly as the exact process hasn't been explained and I havent ventured to ask or find our for myself ] BUT they as butchers are a million times more respectful than the secular younger Australians who also work in the aboitoirs [I saw the vid on sbs tv] and it is a rather very desensitizing environment and that the kosher and halal butchers 'appeared' to be uber profeesional about it in the vid I saw on the tv was and is to be commended. Again I dont agree with the methods utilized at face value but I am open to being educated.

Personal Disclosure: I have issues with the lack of full decapitation of the animal and leaving the still connected spinal cord intact,.. IMO it is unrequired step anymore as the issue with blood and leaving the head/brain connected so the still beating heart helps to quickly drain the carcass of blood [which for them is a religious health and wellbeing issue on top of blood being sacred to their God and hence taboo] is overkill when we have the modern facilities to facilitate the full blood letting of the unfortunate beefy beast [or lamb/goat etc.] by immediately hanging the carcass up and let gravity do the rest of the work.

It's a grizzly subject but I feel that I must speak up for them as what I saw when compared to stuff on the same show that I saw .. well I can only have admiration for such respectful hardworking people.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well, back on topic..
I've been thinking about it and most the Jews I have met are or seem to be, atheists and the religion to them is more of a community attachment sort of thing or, more apt: cultural tie in.

Obviously this isn't true in all cases as there are groups like the Hasidic Jews (Ultra orthodox) who have been known to stone people in Israel for violations of the Torah..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Dear lordtyp0,

Sorry if I was being the thread police, I didn't mean to do that and would be happy to have a thread on Christian churches in America today.

I've been thinking about it and most the Jews I have met are or seem to be, atheists and the religion to them is more of a community attachment sort of thing or, more apt: cultural tie in.

I would say that most people do not live their avowed beliefs, I don't think people who call themselves Jewish are any different. I would also say the same is true for politics, people claim to believe in one thing; but, vote their pocketbook. I don't know that I would call most atheists, I think most just don't think about it that much other than the traditions and rituals.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Mosaic Judaism of the OT is impossible today. The Judaism of today is Talmudic Judaism and is a religion of works. Basically follow all the rules the rabbis make up and hope God deems you good enough for heaven.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join