It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Button Button who's got the Button?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Would it be possible for us to have the same or at least some of the buttons that are on the posting page, above/on the message form?

I admit to being lazy and not knowing all the codes etc. Sometimes I want to pm a link or quote a post in a pm to someone. Italic and Bold would be nice too.

Should I just get my big girl pants on and memorize the codes?
edit on 5-6-2012 by Iamschist because: spelling, what else

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Learning the codes would be my suggestion.

Here's a tip. Get a little 5x7 note card, and write down your favorite codes. Keep it by your computer. When you want to add a code, refer to it. You'll have them memorized in no time!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Bold and italics are not too hard to remember, but I am a long time forum poster, back when I started there were no buttons. We kinda had no choice to memorize them if we wanted to use them at the time.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Thank you for your replies, there is no hope on my horizon, alas.
I will have plain unadorned pm's. What with the brackets and the forward slashes, skill seems so far away. 'sigh'

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

If it's any consolation, my pm's are plain as well. I save the fancy stuff for posting in threads.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
You could always hit reply in a random thread and construct the PM there. Then cut and paste into the PM box. Just don't accidentally send it to the random thread

edit on Tue, 05 Jun 2012 22:45:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Your tip about the cheat card is a good one. I could also laboriously copy and paste all the codes to a text file and then cop and paste again to a pm. Would be so much easier to just pound a button.

I am still learning to use the buttons when posting. Haven't quite done it yet. Wasn't that long ago I learned to use Ex-Text.. Still don't know what the News button is for. I don't think anyone who is computer skilled understands the intimidation involved for the ignorant. There are folks on here who have thousands of posts but do not know about the replies function in messages. Even the instructions so kindly given to help us, can be over our heads and hard to comprehend. We are easily overwhelmed and it makes us dumb. I think there is a primitive fear at work.

Thank you for your reply

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

That is a good idea, however having experienced premature posting on occasion, that could be risky as you pointed out!

new topics

top topics

join