It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Vostok they were about to break through then......silence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I was following the story about the russian team drilling into Lake Vostok they were getting close and then they were just about to breach the lake they switched to a thermal drill to penetrate the last bit so that no drilling chemicals contaminate the Lake then there was silence for about 5 days with no contact with the scientist people panicking that something happened ie stuff from the movie The Thing springs to mind and then contact was made again ,but now I read that JPL was running the site and now it was taken away by the NSA and there are rumors of a massive magnetic anomaly on the shore of the lake and that the water temperature down there is quite pleasant,I wonder would this massive object be affecting the water temperature keeping it constant? your thoughts and info thanks.

cross section of Lake Vostok
www.exohuman.com...

unknown microbe from ice core sample
www.enterprisemission.com...

what is happening down there??

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
It could be that a geothermal spring under the lake is what causing it to be warm and the magnetic anomaly just a large ore deposit? Without knowing exactly what the temp is or the type of magnetic anomaly it is hard to guess. I wonder what is going on down there as well. It would be cool if there were live cam feeds.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I bumped an old thread a few months ago. It got too cold, so they stopped.

Note: there are many other lacked in Antarctica which are / will also be drilled by UK / USA / China etc

It's coming into winter in the Southern Hemisphere. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until at least Nov'

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
My thoughts Under water volcano? could explain a mass or Iron from cooling magma?

Volcanic Hazards

Changes in Magnetic Field - Rocks contain minerals such as magnetite that are magnetic. Such magnetic minerals generate a magnetic field. However, above a temperature called the Curie Temperature, these magnetic minerals show no magnetism. Thus, if a magma body enters a volcano, the body itself will show no magnetism, and if it heats the surrounding rocks to temperatures greater than the Curie Temperature (about 500oC for magnetite) the magnetic field over the volcano will be reduced. Thus, by measuring changes in the magnetic field, the movement of magma can sometimes be tracked.

dunno though if that area is seismically active though?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

do you think the same scenario could be possible in the arctic with sealed pockets of prehistoric lakes?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cookiemonster32

Arctic is tiny in comparison. I think it will have been dry more recently..

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
there was actually a thread where a "russian scientist" claimed to have worked on a new virus fromlake vostok that will effect people with a negative blood type. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I am pretty sure they are waiting for the hole they drilled to re-freeze, then they will retrieve the core sample in Aug/Sept?. time frame.

Once they have the sample they will test for microbes and bacteria in the frozen lake water.

Just have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, the actual breakthrough was postponed. . .then again, I could just be "remembering" the events well, incorrectly.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bowtomonkey

Note: there are many other lacked in Antarctica which are / will also be drilled by UK / USA / China etc

It's coming into winter in the Southern Hemisphere. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until at least Nov'

I'm not saying your wrong, but what sense would it make for the scientists to go down there and drill right when winter is approaching? Sounds like a convenient excuse to put the lid on this story, also what happened in that 5 days that nobody heard from the scientist's? It seems typical that there are alway's more questions than answers when it comes to these anomalous cases.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
They had a window of time before winter came on too strong.. they missed that window and postponed the break through and had to leave the site before conditions were too harsh.. that's how I remember it anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I don't know why this is in skunk works. The official story is they were able to drill through and take a small sample. They will return in a few months when it gets warmer to take more samples.

There are other countries using more advanced tech who are also within a few months of a break. I'm not sure why the Russian's risked using thousands of gallons of kerosene near this pristine lake just to be the first to take a sample. I find it totally strange why there wasn't an outrage over this use of chemicals.

BTW: When the Russians were drilling, there happened to be a global warming trip of some type with Al Gore and Richard Branson in antarctica.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Apart from the potential viril issue, another nonconfirmed claim also went that there was "Something" lurking in the lake, that, it was claimed, snatched one of the divers, that appaently(According to the story) shouted to the staff on land, that; "It's horrible! This thing is huge!- I don't got a chance!" and, "Don't come down here!!" before he screamed and the communication was lost.

Could be a pure urban legend, but that is how the story goes.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Meh, i don't know why everyone automatically jumps to thinking...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
There was news from Russia that the scientist that drilled Lake Vostok gave Putin a glass of water from it but he did not drink it.

I am guessing they broke through and are analyzing samples, will take years if there are new organisms or oil......

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by benrl

Meh, i don't know why everyone automatically jumps to thinking...

Because unlike half-assed claims, this project drilled into something that was, by definition, alien.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think it's interesting that scientists claim Antartica has been covered with ice for millions of years, but then we have artifacts, such as the Piri Reis map, which show its shoreline in great detail.

I have a friend in Hollywood. I told him this subject would make a great movie for the SciFi Channel. A team of Russians, and a super-hot female American scientist (who always wears skintight jumpsuits), who in the end kills the beast-from-the-deep with a gigantic flamethrower (phallus)... At least she thought she did... But he passed on the idea... Or did he?...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Financialy the world is on its knees, people are homeles and starving yet they continue with these projects. Its quite obvious there is more to these projects than we'll ever be told.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightchild
Apart from the potential viril issue, another nonconfirmed claim also went that there was "Something" lurking in the lake, that, it was claimed, snatched one of the divers, that appaently(According to the story) shouted to the staff on land, that; "It's horrible! This thing is huge!- I don't got a chance!" and, "Don't come down here!!" before he screamed and the communication was lost.

Could be a pure urban legend, but that is how the story goes.

couldnt you at least put up a link to wherever you got this from???
where did you read the story?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaws1975

Originally posted by bowtomonkey

I'm not saying your wrong, but what sense would it make for the scientists to go down there and drill right when winter is approaching? Sounds like a convenient excuse to put the lid on this story, also what happened in that 5 days that nobody heard from the scientist's? It seems typical that there are alway's more questions than answers when it comes to these anomalous cases.

I have my suspicions as well, but the period of good weather is short. 3-4 months I think. You can search the topic here. There are two threads with a lot of information, and as I said, I bumped one of them, so this same topic has been rechecked. There are well informed contributors.

The 5 days, was explained as "no they weren't gone, just had some bad weather"

I'm being careful not to let a fantasy get the better of me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join