It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nutrition Idea that "Saved" My Life.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by strato
Obesity is the cause of high insulin not the other way around. There is no evidence of high insulin causing causing weight gain. You can gain weight even on a totally carb free diet. Protein produces insulin as well and fat is able to store itself without insulin (acylation-stimulating protein).

I'm not sure what you're reading, but that's simply not true.

The evidence has been around for over half a century. One example: Type 1 diabetics, without ample insulin injections, will lose weight, including fat and lean tissue, quite readily.

Another example: Lesioning the hypothalamus of rats will cause an over secretion of insulin. These rats often died of starvation with all of their fat still locked in the fat cells.

Now, these are two examples off the top of my head. And there are plenty of studies with evidence that hyperinsulinemia will increase fat deposition.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
Can I just point out that peanuts are legumes, they aren't paleo and you shouldn't eat them if you're trying to be paleo.
It sometimes gets a little confusing, I know, what with all the conflicting advice about different foods, but peanuts are a definite no-no.

Yeah, cashews make my MS symptoms creep up on me a little bit. I love cashews, but once my eye started twitching after eating some I cut them out.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
Can I just point out that peanuts are legumes, they aren't paleo and you shouldn't eat them if you're trying to be paleo.
It sometimes gets a little confusing, I know, what with all the conflicting advice about different foods, but peanuts are a definite no-no.

They are legumes, but compared to other legumes of their type, they have a smaller effect on sugar spikes in the bloodstream. I stick mostly with other types of nuts anyway. Thanks for making that clear though.

-TS

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dkf89
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I understand what your saying there's alot of different things that can be affected by unknown variables in different ways, but wouldn't healthy foods of a healthy diet only promote healthy hormone levels? would it not?

Define healthy.

There is a factual healthy, and there is a subjective healthy.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Yes I know, because of all of the disinformation or people not caring what they eat, so eat things all the time thinking they are healthy when actually they're not, plus it's almost impossible to eat a fully 100% organic diet, I agree it's subjective because a 100% healthy diet is close to impossible, then you have to factor in other bad health causes such as what you put on your body and chemicals that can be absorbed through your skin, and environmental pollutants.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Guys, what is if about this diet that totally supresses the appetite? I love it, i used to get hunger pangs like every 45 minutes & snack through out the day & night. The last time I ate was like 8:00PM last night & I'm barely starting to get hunger pangs now. I love it & I love not constantly snacking or having the compulsion to.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

Partly because your stored fat is more freely available. Partly because fat and protein are much more satiating than carbohydrates. And partly because of the effects carbohydrates have on energy partitioning and blood glucose levels. Enjoy it.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
What I would like to add, what almost no one has touched base on, is that we need a small amount of whole grains in our diets because, not only B12, but also because of the fibre.

There are 2 different types of fibre- insoluble(grains) and soluble (plants)

Soluble fibre slows digestion and aids with balancing blood glucose and increases the uptake of minerals and nutrients

Insoluble fibre helps reduce the absorption of toxins and salt and helps you feel fuller longer.

You need both.

Otherwise, good post.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by smilesmcgee

B-12 is taken care of through eggs, fish, and other meats. This was addressed on page 2 or 3, I believe.

Soluble fiber can be gained from: sweet potatoes, onions, fruits (apples, pears, berries, bananas), broccoli, carrots, and certain nuts (almonds being the highest concentration of dietary fiber).

Insoluble fiber can be gained readily from: cauliflower, zucchini, green beans (which are one of the few types of legumes that are okay with the primal/paleo lifestyle), the skin of tomatoes, nuts and seeds, and avocado. No need to ingest grains/wheat products at all.

Thanks for the post.

-TS

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I was wondering if any other cave-people have started up with new exercises since going paleo.

About 3 weeks in I started running and doing pushups and things. Purely because I was restless. I guess because of my energy levels. I'm now looking at cross-fit, krav and toying with rugby again after 20 odd years.
Just me or are we all getting itchy feet?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Sprocket, I find myself doing a lot more physically laborious activities around the house and around the yard. I have a retaining wall behind my house that is made up of very large 50-70 lb. boulders. My "weight lifting" includes picking one up and walking up and down the hill with it at chest level for five minutes a day. I've also been going to the park a few days a week to throw a Frisbee around with friends. This is coupled with the every day walking that I do, whether it's at school or with my dog in the early evenings. Nothing strenuous, just a mild stroll through my neighborhood.

I've seen people take primal/paleo to the extreme and build "monkey-like" adult playgrounds in their backyards. These would be the same things that you would see at a primate exhibit at a zoo. I saw one story on the blog I posted that showed a man who had started at 500+ lbs. and dropped to a solid 185 in about 18-20 months. He built an adult playground out of the wood that he chopped down and hauled himself. It was pretty crazy.

As far as exercise goes, if you really want to get into this lifestyle, you have to think about how our ancestors lived. They were nomads. They walked a good portion of every day (just strolling at a decent tempo...nothing strenuous), and would have to do short bursts to hunt prey or prevent themselves from becoming prey. They also lifted heavy materials to build temporary shelters, or just to clear game trails. Taking that into account, it doesn't seem so hard to do the physical activity that is important in any lifestyle. Our bodies were built for walking the long haul.

-TS

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
That's a good point, about replicating our ancestors behaviour, and one that Mark Sissons leans towards heavily.
I was mainly wondering if the same idiotic energy levels I've experienced were causing everyone else to just have to get up and do stuff.
I love the monkey gym thing. That could be good. I watched a vid about climbing a while ago and this guy built a wood climbing wall in his garden. Looked awesome and it sure doesn't look like it would feel like a chore.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by MrSelfDestruct

Do you know if you have familial hypercholesterolemia? That's an extremely high LDL count.

Also, I would suggest getting some real numbers. Was that a guess on LDL cholesterol or was it an exact measurement of LDL particles?

I've been told I have familial hypercholesterolemia but it's more as if they assumed that because of how high the cholesterol was (no tests were done, if there are any to check for this condition) I'm not sure about whether it was a measurement of particles, it's just the results I recieved from my doctor.

Could there be a big difference between the two?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Oh, I definitely have the idiotic amounts of energy since I switched. I had to get some work done today since I had the day off from school. Instead of driving to the library, where I could get some peace and quiet, I walked the 3.5 mile trek. It was actually really nice. By the time I got there, I was ready to settle down and get to work.

-TS

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

Oh, I definitely have the idiotic amounts of energy since I switched. I had to get some work done today since I had the day off from school. Instead of driving to the library, where I could get some peace and quiet, I walked the 3.5 mile trek. It was actually really nice. By the time I got there, I was ready to settle down and get to work.

-TS

That right there is the essence of being paleo, I reckon. Feeling alive and needing to do something.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

The only change I can think of is going gluten free. I too, however, love micro-brews, and that is the only thing I still consume that contains gluten. I tried the gluten free beers, some were good, but I am still able to consume regular beer, so as long as that is possible, I'm afraid I need to stick with my yummy micro-brewery beers.

The only gluten-free beer my wife like is Redbridge. It is readily available at most health food stores, and liquor stores, but it isn't at Walmart yet. It tastes 99% like regular beer, and it kind of has that micro-brewery taste to it. She hates all the other gluten-free beers on the market.

When we have barbeques, a lot of people prefer the Redbridge to the other beers without realizing we buy it special for her, so even regular beer drinkers seem to like it.

If you are into micro-breweries, you should convince someone to make you a special beer! That would be pretty awesome.

Redbridge is good, just a wee bit light. We have a fantastic store here that stocks all kinds of artisan brews, so I've tried many of the gluten free beers. My folks actually sent my sweetheart a brewing kit as a gift last year, and we haven't tried it yet, but are planning to, soon. So maybe he will create some wonderful new GF home brew for me...

P.S. I like "Mary's Gone Crackers" best, too.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This is exactly the reason that I love the keto diet. It doesn't feel like a diet. When I eat high fat, low carb, I feel satiated more often, and the food tastes better to me. It's a longer lasting satisfaction than the bloating and tiredness that comes with wheaty and sugary foods.

I dropped ten pounds in two weeks without even trying, and energy levels just went up. I'm not even a heavy-set person, but the body is designed to burn its own fat. That's what it's there for. If you're continuously storing fat, then your body is malfunctioning. It's supposed to balance the fat out and not keep too much at any time.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I would just like to ask, has anyone heard of "food combining"?
I naturally gravitate towards this way of eating- basically meals consist of meat and veggies, or grains and veggies, never meat and grains!!! ( unless, of course, it's a date night and I need a ribeye and potatoes dauphine)
Also fruit is a snack, never as part of a meal or directly after one.
Limit sugars, no MSG no asparatame.
I'm breastfeeding still so I eat a ridiculous amount of food but I'm 5'7 105lbs and I eat high fat high carb, but I never combine the two.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

I have definitely heard something about food combining in the past. I think the basis is that you're not getting two types of the same energy source in every meal, hence trying not to eat grain/wheat and veggies in the same meal. This no longer applies to me, of course, but for those out there that might not be as committed to the paleo/primal lifestyle, food combining theory may be something to look at.

Thanks for bringing it up!

-TS

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
Well, the food pyramid was based upon what the average American ate, at the time. NOT because it was balanced for our needs.

I believe the importance and abundance of grain on the food charts/pyramids lies in the fact that its probably the cheapest form of sustenance.

Look at a country like Somalia. You see a major portion of the population surviving on nothing but dirty water and a handful of rice every day. Can you imagine how different your life would be if you were unable to simply purchase meats and fruits/vegetables?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join