It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Natural World Writing Contest [NATURE][Winners announced]

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Only about 1/2 way finished, but..............

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Very interesting beginning and looking forward to the conclusion.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HomeBrew

Uhm, I just noticed that your story doesn't have [NATURE] in the title. You can u2u masqua to get the time to edit your title. Otherwise, it's just another post in the short story forum.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by HomeBrew

Uhm, I just noticed that your story doesn't have [NATURE] in the title. You can u2u masqua to get the time to edit your title. Otherwise, it's just another post in the short story forum.

Thank you, I will u2u him.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I didn't really know where I was going with it but decided it as only natural

sorry in advance lol

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Ok, all done.

Thanks again for the oppertunity to share!
edit on 16-6-2012 by HomeBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
[Nature] Boy II

Warning: it's a bummer.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Bumping ~

I just saw this contest thread and love this topic.
Will try to get an entry shortly. Phew, almost missed it!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Due to the unforseen circumstance of being on the road until Monday night, Im going to have to extend the contest until I get home and off of this awful, unfamiliar, sensitive little laptop I've been forced to use.

Bless you all and see you later.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Safe travels, and we'll see you then. Thanks for the quick message.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
1st place:

Jean Paul Zodeaux
The Nature of [Nature]

2nd place (a tie):

FortAnthem
Blades of Grass

&

Jean Paul Zodeaux
When [Nature] Calls

3rd place:

beezzer
Group Therapy

Once again, thanks for all who participated in the contest.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Congrats to the winners! Everyone had excellent entries, but there are a few stories that always shine through. Good job to everyone, and keep up the good work.

Not everyone can win every time. There's always another contest. I really wanted to write a story on the "fury" of nature, where mother Earth reclaims the earth, based on geological records that spawned the last ice age. We are in an inter-glacial period, so my imagination was formulating a plot.

But alas, I won second place in the [TFTG] contest. I felt it was time to throttle back, and not try to win another in the same month, and give room for other contestants. I let my entries stand.

The whole point is, I love writing, extracting stories from my imagination, and I have no desire to win repeatedly. I will enter every contest, with a story or few, but I try to strike a balance between a good story and an excellent one. Seeing how ATS membership determines the outcome, it's my intention to keep the bar raised, and to get other members to produce their best work, perhaps learning in the process, but also to give other members the chance to achieve "writer" status.

There are other members who write excellent stories, and enter repeatedly, only to be trumped by popular vote. To them, I say, keep trying! Writing isn't always easy, but it is satisfying, and most of all, you have to write for yourself before you can write for your audience.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well done to the winners.
Above all else, it is great to see the Short Stories forum and the writing comps gaining momentum each month. We have a great deal of talent here at ATS, and look forward to seeing them in action again soon

The whole point is, I love writing, extracting stories from my imagination, and I have no desire to win repeatedly. I will enter every contest, with a story or few, but I try to strike a balance between a good story and an excellent one. Seeing how ATS membership determines the outcome, it's my intention to keep the bar raised, and to get other members to produce their best work, perhaps learning in the process, but also to give other members the chance to achieve "writer" status.

There are other members who write excellent stories, and enter repeatedly, only to be trumped by popular vote. To them, I say, keep trying! Writing isn't always easy, but it is satisfying, and most of all, you have to write for yourself before you can write for your audience.

If I may, I would like to make a suggestion here in regards to this. Although the flag system works best for the monthly comps, it does seem to be the more popular posters that regularly win here. I can understand and respect Masqua's decision in how the contests work, but perhaps we could introduce something like a "youngbloods" style for the up and comers who post excellent stories, but fall short of the S&F race each month. Something similar to the honourable mention Tenth had in the TFTG comp last month. That would give the newcomers a chance to be mentioned at the same time as gaining writer status for their efforts, and more than likely give them reason to return each month. Even if the more seasoned SS participants or even the previous contest winners could judge a top three. I don't know, just something I have been milling about, because the SS contests have certainly gained popularity over the last six months. Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
My personal thoughts:

masqua has stated that they used to have a panel of judges. It wasn't feasible. They decided on the flag system, and although not completely fair, there is no current "better" solution. The mods are open to solutions, something that is fair to the newcomers, and I do like Tenth's application of Honorable Mention, however, they did not get writer status nor applause.

I think with all the members combined efforts to create an active forum of short stories, the mods and us can throw enough sound ideas together to come up with something feasible and fair.

What that is, I don't know. I do agree the SS forum has picked up over the course of the past sixth months.

I am getting involved in the Debate forum as well.

I think the Regent experiment has spawned a new level of thinking, and that is a good thing. Sometimes "new" is a positive thing, even though it's disguised in the shell of the "same old same old". It's refreshing, to say the least.

Uhm, and BTW, masqua, when and what is the new writing contest?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

My personal thoughts:

masqua has stated that they used to have a panel of judges. It wasn't feasible. They decided on the flag system, and although not completely fair, there is no current "better" solution. The mods are open to solutions, something that is fair to the newcomers, and I do like Tenth's application of Honorable Mention, however, they did not get writer status nor applause.

I think with all the members combined efforts to create an active forum of short stories, the mods and us can throw enough sound ideas together to come up with something feasible and fair.

What that is, I don't know. I do agree the SS forum has picked up over the course of the past sixth months.

I am getting involved in the Debate forum as well.

I think the Regent experiment has spawned a new level of thinking, and that is a good thing. Sometimes "new" is a positive thing, even though it's disguised in the shell of the "same old same old". It's refreshing, to say the least.

Uhm, and BTW, masqua, when and what is the new writing contest?

Perhaps then a "youngbloods" competition open to new writers who don't already have status. Something that runs along the same timeline as the main contest.

As I said, I was just milling over ideas that could allow newer members to compete.

I was thinking the rise in popularity could allow some more seasoned writers to judge or vote on honourable mentions, or even the previous winners if they wished.
And yes, the debate forum is picking up too, something I have taken an interest in.
Dunno, just throwing ideas out there, something to consider.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
First off, congratulations to the winners!
The calibre of writers and writing is insane here!

I love to write. I hope that someday, I can make a living from it. These contests are fun and a great exercise for any writer/budding novelist. I look forward to the next challenge and look forward to the stories that will emerge.

That being said, I won't be competing anymore. I'll still yank a new story from my sometimes reluctant muse, but in a way that will allow the new writers to gain more recognition.

Namaste and thanks for all those who voted and voted for me.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Can't you just tame your awesome skillz a bit, rabbit? Wild, you are, but true temperance comes from control.

Personal congrats to your win. Ponder a bit before you slip from our minds. You are one of those that keep the bar raised. Without your kind, people can get, well, mushy!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Can't you just tame your awesome skillz a bit, rabbit? Wild, you are, but true temperance comes from control.

Personal congrats to your win. Ponder a bit before you slip from our minds. You are one of those that keep the bar raised. Without your kind, people can get, well, mushy!

Oh I'll still write, I can't shut myself up!

But I may forget to bracket my titles and just write for the sake of writing and sharing what I write. I think all writers are secretly exhibitionists. We feel the need, the compulsion to expose ourselves through words (and not naughty ways on the tube).
I'll still be here.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

HA! I agree with that exhibitionist comment actually. There is simply something about writing isn't there?

Congratulations Beezer and the other winners. Your stories were great. And I will admit to voting for Beezer's story because I was laughing out loud! It was truly great! Also for the story by Jean Paul, The Nature of Nature. It was so cute! The other two I do not think I had time to read. But I will definitely get around to them.

edit on 3-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Thank you ma'am. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join