It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Refers To Iraqi Insurgents As "Folks" During The Debate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
We all know George has never roped a steer and was raised with servents but that he wants to be viewed a "cowboy", right?

And we also know his supporters are dumb enough to buy it, cuz they don't appear to know what real cowboys do for a living, right? (ie: work outdoors, RIDE HORSES, fling lassos, etc....)

Here's my question:

Political persona aside....am I the only one who cringed with embarrassment when he referred to Iraqi insurgents as "folks" during the debate?

[edit on 2-10-2004 by bushblows]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
he uses the term "folks" in the same case as when most say "people". what's the problem? if he had been speaking about the insurgents and already used the term "insurgent" then he would most likely want to use a generic term to refer to them, so as to not sound repetitive. so he said "folks", i probably would have said "those people", and still someone else could have said "that group". don't make a big deal out of nothing.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Try focusing on the real issues, not which noun Bush uses to identify a group. There are more inportant things to discuss.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I live in the southwest. Never roped a steer either, and my horse is made of iron.
I've refered to plenty of people as "folks". It's just the venacular of the Great Southwest.

I think if you search, you may even find a reference to him using the term "ya'll"

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushblows
cuz they don't appear to know what real cowboys do for a living, right? (ie: work outdoors, rustle cattle, fling lassos, etc....)

BTW... Real cowboys don't rustle cattle. Cattle rustling is theft. Perhaps you meant "wrangle cattle", which is like gathering up the herd.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rain King
Try focusing on the real issues, not which noun Bush uses to identify a group. There are more inportant things to discuss.

His fake cowboy image IS important to discuss because his dopey followers buy into it!

If he was like, a part-time cowpoke in his youth I could understand the folksy language but the guy was a billionaire cheerleader for petes sake.
He tries to do the "down home, regular guy thing" but he lived off his father's wealth his entire life. Don't his supporters catch this?

The Waltons were "folks". Terrorists deserve a less retarded noun.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Personally I find the use of the word "folks" much less offensive than Kerry calling the PM of Iraq a liar and Teresa Kerry calling people "idiots".

Jemison

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

We all know George has never roped a steer and was raised with servents but that he wants to be viewed a "cowboy", right?

And we also know his supporters are dumb enough to buy it, cuz they don't appear to know what real cowboys do for a living, right? (ie: work outdoors, rustle cattle, fling lassos, etc....)

Do real cowboys rustle cattle?
I'm afraid you've watched too many cowboy movies. Must we really expect our President to steal cattle to appease inane detractors like you?

Bush is a Texan. It's where he grew up. He speaks like a Texan and most folks who have a decent education know what folks are.

Is it too much to ask that you look up a word before you start criticizing the President? Frankly, I cringe everytime I read one of your ill-informed posts.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
He said folks, I say it all the time. Not sure why it's a bad thing.
Maybe everyone thinks I'm stupid now? jeez, I'm so embarrassed...
All those FOLKS, thinkin I'm stupid...and I have to lead a meeting on Monday, not a big meeting, just some "peeps" I work with...

Jemison,

Add "scumbags" to Tereza's working word list..!

Space

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

[His fake cowboy image IS important to discuss because his dopey followers buy into it!

Whoa now, pardner. You start a thread complaining about Bush using the word "folks" and then call me and others like me "dopey"????

Am I the only on who cringed in embarrassment when you used the word dopey? And cowpoke? Rustle any cows lately yourself? Seems to me that someone complaining about the misuse of country slang should be careful when using them himself.

This thread is a perfect example of what I am refering to in my signature.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Is it really a big deal? It would be to BUSHBLOWS, i guess. Gee, i doubt he watched the debate with an open mind. Who cares? He's trying to come off as a normal person, unlike Kerry, who looks to me like a condescending ahole.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The Waltons were "folks". Terrorists deserve a less retarded noun.

I'm going to make this real easy for you blows:

Main Entry: 1folk
Pronunciation: 'fOk
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural folk or folks
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English folc; akin to Old High German folc people

2 : the great proportion of the members of a people that determines the group character and that tends to preserve its characteristic form of civilization and its customs, arts and crafts, legends, traditions, and superstitions from generation to generation
www.merriam-webster.com...

Definitions of folk on the Web:

people in general; "they're just country folk"; "the common people determine the group character and preserve its customs from one generation to the next"
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

a social division of (usually preliterate) people

people descended from a common ancestor; "his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"

the traditional and typically anonymous music that is an expression of the life of people in a community

Latin, vulg' (the common people); German, volk; Dutch, volch; Saxon, folc; Danish, folk. Folk and vulgar are variants of the same word.
www.bootlegbooks.com/Reference/PhraseAndFable/data/475.html

Of the people; originally coined for European peasants; refers to the art, music, and lore of ordinary people, as contrasted with the "high" art or "classic" art of the European elites.
highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072426527/student_view0/chapter20/key_terms.html
www.google.com...:folk

Now who's retarded?

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is great. This compares to black people getting upset when they hear the word "you people". He said folks, big deal, would you have rather said ? If he would had said the iraqi insurgents, you Kerry supporters would be stating that he was groupin ALL iraqis into one group.

BushBlows, nice, love them name. Because if bush blows, Kerry swallows......have a nice day!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

And we also know his supporters are dumb enough to buy it, cuz they don't appear to know what real cowboys do for a living, right? (ie: work outdoors, rustle cattle, fling lassos, etc....)

Do real cowboys rustle cattle?
I'm afraid you've watched too many cowboy movies. Must we really expect our President to steal cattle to appease inane detractors like you?

Bush is a Texan. It's where he grew up. He speaks like a Texan and most folks who have a decent education know what folks are.

Is it too much to ask that you look up a word before you start criticizing the President? Frankly, I cringe everytime I read one of your ill-informed posts.

And I cringe everytime you claim to be a veteran, Grady, but if you get your kicks pretending to be a Marine who am I to judge?

Now go pop in your prized copy of The Great Santini, kick back and think sexy thoughts.

Yes, Texans say "folks." But GB has quite the different upbringing then your average Texan. He seems very fake, is all.

Now I have to fix "rustle" lol

[edit on 2-10-2004 by bushblows]

link   

Originally posted by esdad71
This is great. This compares to black people getting upset when they hear the word "you people". He said folks, big deal, would you have rather said ? If he would had said the iraqi insurgents, you Kerry supporters would be stating that he was groupin ALL iraqis into one group.

you Kerry supporters? YOU KERRY SUPPORTERS?!?! What do you mean by that?

Lol, just joking

link   

Here's my question:

Political persona aside....am I the only one who cringed with embarrassment when he referred to Iraqi insurgents as "folks" during the debate?

This would have sounded real funny and clever if Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show" hadn't of said it already. He had a whole bit that was alot more funny than this. Time for some new material

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

Here's my question:

This would have sounded real funny and clever if Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show" hadn't of said it already. He had a whole bit that was alot more funny than this. Time for some new material

Oh please. No one is stealing material.
There's a reason I brought this up.
I've met a few people in NYC who refer to George as a "cowboy"...
That doesn't seem fair.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

Here's my question:

Oh please. No one is stealing material.
There's a reason I brought this up.
I've met a few people in NYC who refer to George as a "cowboy"...
That doesn't seem fair.

Just don't act suprised when Comedy Central asks for their copywrite fee

JK

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

And I cringe everytime you pretend to be a veteran, Grady, but if you get your kicks pretending to be a Marine who am I to judge?

You should be nice, blowsbush. I am a real veteran. I probably earned my Purple Heart before your father was born. If you know who he is, you should ask if he was born before 23 Feb 69 and report back to us. Anyone who has ever served knows that I know whereof I speak.

And "The Great Santini" is one of the finest films of all time and one of Duval's greatest efforts. It has its inaccuracies, but someone like you would never catch them.

Are you microcephalic or just pretending to be?

[edit on 04/10/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Look here...
I'm a transplated Yankee. I DID NOT grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth, and I do not support Bush. I use the term "folks" quite often. It's not just a term for rinestone cowboys. New Englanders use it too. Maybe it's from growing up in Maine? Maybe it's from living it Texas?

But this is a ridiculous manufactured controversy. If you have nothing better to do then pick apart language then maybe you should start counting the times the words "visa-via" and "gleened" are used on the 24/7's. That's a hell of alot more annoying.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join