It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar picking master Doc Watson dies at 89; his style influenced folk music for decades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

RALEIGH, N.C. - You could hear the mountains of North Carolina in Doc Watson's music. The rush of a mountain stream, the steady creak of a mule in leather harness plowing rows in topsoil and the echoes of ancient sounds made by a vanishing people were an intrinsic part of the folk musician's powerful, homespun sound. It took Watson decades to make a name for himself outside the world of Deep Gap, North Carolina. Once he did, he ignited the imaginations of countless guitar players who learned the possibilities of the instrument from the humble picker who never quite went out of style. From the folk revival of the 1960s to the Americana movement of the 21st century, Watson remained a constant source of inspiration and a treasured touchstone before his death Tuesday at age 89.

truly a sad day in the music world! doc watson is the man responsible for me learning to play the banjo.
Doc and his music will truly be missed. the man was amazing!

Blind from the age of 1, Watson was left to listen to the world around him and it was as if he heard things differently from others. Though he knew how to play the banjo and harmonica from an early age, he came to favour the guitar. His flat-picking style helped translate the fiddle- and mandolin-dominated music of his forebears for an audience of younger listeners who were open to the tales that had echoed off the mountains for generations, and to the new lead role for the guitar.

mor info at yahoo.com/manager-hospital-spokeswoman-grammy-winning-folk-musician-doc-000538514.html

RIp Doc!

edit on 30-5-2012 by reficul because: mor info to add

edit on 30-5-2012 by reficul because: wrong video!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Ah reficul, our paths cross yet again on a guitar related thread.
Although unfortunately, this time it is to remember a fallen legend.

RIP DOC.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

so many amazing tunes to chose from to post in memory of a legend!
sunny south has always stirred up such a feeling in me since the first time i heard it.
thats why i posted that song.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
i don't know if the video is correct.
i posted Doc,and it appears,then it switches to hot rize!
i even edited and the same thing happened!

anyway,the Doc Watson song i wanted to post is called 'bright sunny south'
check it out its worth it!

sorry for the mix up

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Listened to 'bright sunny south', really enjoyed it. Think I'm going to spend the afternoon learning 'deep river blues' as a sort of homage.

About the youtube issues: I think it's giving you problems because the vid is part of a playlist, and keeps on skipping along. Edit out everything besides the youtube 'number' in your post.
(i.e this part: &list=FLOfv9wnvOcwL9HrRJiEjKYw&index=22&feature=plpp_video isn't needed)
Hope that helps

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

thanx fellow picker!
hot rize was a wicket virtuoso band,incredible musicians,but i'm sure there was a lot of Doc Watson influence there!
keep on pickin'!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
R I P Doc Watson

Doc Watson - 1991 - Black Mountain Rag

top topics

join