It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanitation worker turns in $22K he found in trash-bin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
In a world where there is so much corruption and dishonesty, it's refreshing to read of a genuine, honest person.

A sanitation worker finds $22K in a metal box, under a roll around trash can, and turns the money into the police.

This guy needs an award for demonstrating that honesty is always the best policy!

Sanitation Worker Finds $22K in Trash Bin

MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. (AP) - Andrew Pritt has found some unique and valuable things while working as a trash collector, but none of them came close to the metal box he recently found under a trash bin.

Pritt, 51, of Mount Pleasant found roughly $22,000 in the box under a rollout trash receptacle while working Monday in downtown Mount Pleasant, the Morning Sun reported.

When Pritt first found the box, he didn't think much of it and threw it in the back of his truck. But on his way back to Waste Management in Harrison, Pritt stopped at a rest area, popped open the box and was stunned to find the cash.

He called Mount Pleasant police and said he was headed back to the city to drop off the money.

After Pritt gave the money to police, officers looked at paperwork in the box and determined the money belonged to a city resident, Inspector Tom Forsberg said.

Pritt has found items of value before while on the job.

"I've found change," he said. "When I worked in Detroit, I found wallets and purses. Down there, it was an everyday thing."

I posted the entire story since it was so short.

[edit on 2/10/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
He turned in $22,000!? Is he insane? Finders keepers losers weepers, IMO.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's always a sanitation worker, janitor or similar type person who turns in money they found. You'll never hear of a politician or lawyer returning any money will you?

"The meek shall inherit the earth"

I'm not that good of a person, I'd be on a plane to Cabo myself.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Intelearthling...Thanks for the story. It is very heart warming to know that greed and money do not influence some people. Sad thing is that this man will more than likely not even get so much as a mention in most media outlets, yet power hungry businessmen who do even the most insignificant of things are all over the media.

Could you imagine...you find $22,000 dollars...what do you do? Talk about a moral dilemma of the highest order. Hopefully, the money will be put to good use, and the man that found it be rewarded.

Great story!

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
as much as I mite be tempted to keep the money I would turn it in as well.
For all you know it mite be a widows entire life savings . and even if it was a rich mans id still turn it in . After all if it was yours that you lost would you want me to keep it ? If it was mine id hope it would be returned.
Wheather or not the bible is rreal it does make plently of horse scence .
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Could you imagine...you find $22,000 dollars...what do you do?

What I'd do is the same thing this gentleman did. I would want somebody to do the same for me if I'd lost it. They would have gotten a handsome reward for the return. Why not give them at lest a few thousand. It's better than losing it all.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Congradulations!

There are still some honest people on this earth.

We need more people like this guy

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I can only hope that I would do the right thing in such a situation. Andrew Pritt should be highly commended for what he did and should recieve a nice compensation fee for being so honest.

i wonder if the owner of the cash was really old, cause I can't imagine having 22k in cash in a box in my house, unless...

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've actually had my wallet returned to me on three separate occasions by a total stranger so I support gentleman such as him. I have to say, at this point, I think he is a better person morally than I am.

I always thought janitors and trash men should be one of the highest paid positions.

The earth would be really clean if that happened!

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Could you imagine...you find $22,000 dollars...what do you do?

What I'd do is the same thing this gentleman did. I would want somebody to do the same for me if I'd lost it.

You think some accidentally lost/threw away $22,000 that just happened to be secured in a small box? Hmmm.

Sounds to me like somebody had to get rid of the evidence...and fast.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stevo_Devo
It's always a sanitation worker, janitor or similar type person who turns in money they found. You'll never hear of a politician or lawyer returning any money will you?

Power corrupts. So be powerless.

Good to hear there are people who believe in the intangibles being stronger than the tangibles.

For all we know it could have belonged to a senile older person who doesn't believe in banks and they need it for something.

[edit on 2-10-2004 by taibunsuu]

top topics

join