It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests against Lady Gaga concerts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Over the last week we have seen protests in both the Philippines (link) and Indonesia (link) against Lady Gaga and her concerts that were scheduled to take place in those countries. Unsurprisingly, the opposition to her concerts are religiously motivated. The protesters in the Philippines are predominately Christians and the protesters in Indonesia are predominately Muslims. Note the different outcomes though.

Apparently she will be allowed to perform in the Philippines, but under certain conditions:

The city government has already warned Lady Gaga to refrain from nudity, lewd conduct and blasphemy in the Philippines, and said inspectors will be at the venue to ensure she does not overstep the mark.

She will not be so lucky in Indonesia where religious hard-liners have threatened chaos if she is permitted to perform:

Earlier this month, Jakarta police refused approval for the show after the hardline Islamic Defenders Front threatened violence if Lady Gaga performed, calling her a "devil's messenger" who wears only a "bra and panties" on stage.

While I respect the right of each country to govern itself in the way it feels is just, I can't but help laugh at the ridiculousness of these situations. How can religion dictate which artists may perform in certain countries? I'm no fan of Lady Gaga, but I do know she has millions of dedicated fans around the world, including thousands in those two countries, who would enjoy the opportunity to see her perform live and uncensored.

For those who complain about religion's effect on people living in Western countries, this is a reminder that things could be much worse.
edit on 27/5/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
It seems ridiculous that a religion would deem our own bodies a sin.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
And here is another thing to add to the ever growing list of how ridiculous religion is.

They should simpley be told to wise the hell up, and be jailed for causing any trouble.

Idiots.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
They used to do the same thing with Marilyn Manson. All is does is sell more tickets for them.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Good riddance, the devils messenger is not wanted.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I rather make a thread about a fake UFO than one about Lady Gaga. Ignore her is the best.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
They used to do the same thing with Marilyn Manson. All is does is sell more tickets for them.

They do this for decades. Take a look back to the 70's and all the fuss religious idiots made about Alice Cooper and his stage shows or in the 80's when W.A.S.P. came around, bringing the "shock rock" to the next level or just overall the hate against Heavy Metal in some parts of the world. Heck, even Black Sabbath got protests in the 70's being called "satanists" with discussion about not letting them play their concerts.
It's really nothing new and when we come to all those Madonna rip-offs: There were more beside Lady Gaga that ran into problems because of their outfit and sexual song lyrics.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I'm glad Indonesia is standing up for morality. Lady Gaga is a catholic who likes to portray herself as a christian but she dresses like the Whore of Babylon and like all musicians of her type, sings largely about sex and lewdity.

Shes about as christian as this can of febreeze sitting next to me.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Aren't they both countries known for their "ladyboys?" That doesn't seem too christian or muslim... Just sayin'.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaSynthesis
Good riddance, the devils messenger is not wanted.

Exactly. We need God in every person to demonize the very nature of what makes us even Human.

We're so built wrong, we need GOD to tell us that our diddle's and woowoo's are evil, and should only ever be used to pee out of, unless we're making a baby in the confines of the only place GOD can watch us.

If he see's us doing anything with them outside of that sacred area, we're evil and muct chop off our appendages, or be burnt at the stake.

You know, I remember why I dislike religion so much.

ALL HAIL PEENIE WOOWOO LAND!!!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Now that makes sense... she is an IFI tho... Inexplainable flaming idiot.

Put your claws in the air little monsters...

Give me slipknot and maggots any day.. at least you know they're not TRYING to sell you as a product, you buy into it. and hell they even make some damn good music.

I felt the hate rise up in me,
kneel down and clear the stone of leaves
I wander out where you can't see
In side my shell, I wait and bleed...

Get out of my head coz I don't need this,
why didn't I see this,
Well, I'm a victim - Manchurian candidate...
I have sinned by just making my mind up,
And taking your breath away..

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Add pretty much every pioneering artist to that list. Not that Lady Gaga is any sort of pioneer. In my opinion she's just a Madonna rehash who was a rehash of..etc etc to the Nth degree.

You can add just about anybody to the list of protested artists and musicians from Elvis to The Beatles on and on through the decades...nay, through time immemorial.
edit on 28-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Lady GaGa vs Religion. It is hard to tell who is more ridiculous. When two religions condemn you, then you KNOW you are on the express train to hell.

new topics

top topics

join