It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I failed to deny ignorance today..shoulda known!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Okay, so, you're all probably going to hate me for this. But, I've been cajoled and strong-armed by some psychic Gypsies (as in Turkish Rom) today. Why? I guess I failed to deny ignorance on several fronts. But it is a slightly amusing story now that the shock and shame has mostly worn off. Make of it what you will. Here's my story:

So, I've been thinking of seeing a psychic for a while. And I went to work one day and serendipitously found a paper flyer in my windshield at the end of the shift. It sat under my wiper blades for a few days before I finally decided to take it off and throw it away. I tried to shake it lose while driving by turning on the windshield wipers, but it didn't budge. Finally I looked at that darn thing and wouldn't you know it? It was an advert for a local "world-renowned" psychic. In fact, it was the one I had been thinking of visiting lately. Can you see how things are going to go downhill from here? I hope so, because I didn't!

Well, I went for an initial visit with a friend who was curious to sit in and listen to my tarot card reading. My friend was thinking about making an appointment too. So, like an idiot, I sprang for the full service package of $65 dollars to unlock the secrets of my past, present, future as well as 5 questions of my choice for her to divine. Okay, then i got to question #5 and she informed me that that question cannot be answered in this particular tarot spread and urged me to ask something else. BUT, that if I made another appointment we could get more in-depth. Oh boy..seems so stupid now. But down the pathetic rabbit hole I go...

So, I made an appointment for another reading and some kind of "aura/ chakra" healing or cleansing or some such snake oil. I knew it was a set-up and I was being bilked out of my money by making another appointment. But I figured it couldn't hurt. After all, it's only a bit of cash in exchange for some thought-provoking light entertainment. Was I ever wrong in making this calculation. Oh, and she told me to show up today alone for the appointment so that she could "focus her energy only on me." Yeah, it gets worse.

I show up and sit in their living room-converted-office-waiting-room. The office itself is a little house downtown. Then I start to notice things I didn't notice before. The people in this house are not very friendly. They don't smile. They don't make small talk. They don't even make eye contact. The little dog of the house is afraid of strangers and even gave me a stern growl after it wouldn't let me pet him. So then the psychic shows up to our appointment with a big dude following close in tow. This is when it should have hit me. But I still didn't quite put the pieces together yet.

So, I get into the office with the psychic and she is already quoting me a price outrageously higher than we discussed last time. This is when I wise up (kind of). I even pulled out my appointment card where she wrote down the price of today's visit. But still she insists that all my healings and readings and what-have-yas are going to cost $400 !!!!

This is when I figured it out. This was a Gypsy/ Rom family. My cultural anthropology course was flashing in my mind as she was trying to convince me that I needed to pay her the 400 to get rid of my "negative energies". In short, The Rom are an ethnic enclave that left Southern India thousands of years ago and still cling to the regional caste system and superstitions of their ancestors. This is because of their highly limited contact with outsiders, which they refer to as gadje. Their entire culture forbids contact with gadje except when it comes time to work the con. And because they come from a social caste that primarily begged for handouts, this is almost what the modern day Rom do now. Except it usually boils down to "tricking" people out of their money. I guess it's not illegal. Just highly unethical and effective on the gullible people like me. But what I also remembered from my cultural anthro class is what this big dude is waiting outside for. Yes, I was seriously afraid he was going to rough me up if I didn't participate in the con. This is not without precedent for the Rom or any other lowlife criminals!

So, she manages to get me to pay what we originally agreed to, but she cuts the services in half. (remember, she wanted twice what we agreed to.) I told her that I only had enough cash to meet what she quoted me last time. So that's what she asks for even though it's agreed that we're going to cut my services down. Remember, I agreed to pay because I was afraid for my safety. So then after a very short reading (200 dollars doesn't get you decent snake oil these days) she said I still needed some healings and aura hogwash done for next time. And that I can pay her another 200 dollars for that too. I agreed to make the appointment because I am totally spineless? Yeah, well, I was still afraid for my safety, so I hope at least some of you understand that part.

So, here I am, whining on ATS sans 200 dollars with an appointment for another robbery. I am going to drive across town tomorrow and cancel my appointment from a payphone. I have already changed my voicemail to not include my name (I believe they have my cell phone number) and will change the number entirely if they call even once. I'm really just hoping they'd be happy they scammed me good and won't harass me for anything else.

There you go, ATS. I wanted to put this in the jokes forum. I think that would be more appropriate. But now you know about the Rom/ Gypsy. Although I'm sure 99% of you already do. If you don't, just remember that their whole livelihood revolves around tricking gadje out of money.

I guess I failed to deny ignorance this time. This story is not meant to illicit sympathy or snarky comments. But it is meant to offer slight amusement and a very serious warning about the Rom.

Edit: Oh yeah, and either she was a gifted psychic/ criminal OR she was just really good at guessing based on my sparse, vague responses. She actually gave me a pretty decent reading HAHA. Ok, ok, let the face palms commence!
edit on 25-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: ugh.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
If you already knew you were getting robbed why didn't you fill your wallet with monopoly money. When the "psychic" asked what the deal was you should have said... You didn't see this coming?

link   

They probably think of people like you as a filthy animals to ease their conscious so they can sleep at night.

link   
dp
edit on 25-5-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

Yep. This is generally how a caste system works. From what I understand the reason they limit their contact is because of the Indian concept of purity and impurity. They are afraid of becoming impure through contact with the gadje. Handling dirty money? No worries, you're golden.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
You let yourself get ripped off there.

A real psychic doesn't use tools like tarot cards, and will not allow your friend to sit in with you. The works is most effectively done one on one without another person's energy and thoughts rolling around in the room.

As so as she said she would not answer your 5th question, was when you should have walked out never to return.

So, you let this happen to you. In which case it is not all their responsibility. You must take most the load yourself for letting yourself get into it.
edit on 25-5-2012 by Tayesin because: still dyslexic after all these years

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
When you went to see this person initially..
Did she say something so extraordinary and accurate about you that it simply couldn't be anything but psychic powers (such as "oh, talking to the spirits..your mother named sarah just passed on" or something of that nature?

Thats my general line...psychic? ok...prove it before I give you a dime..tell me something only I would know, and no, you cannot have any hints..and it better be something to floor me...else, scam..

Its not any one group that will try to scam you...however, the big guy is unique..

10 dollars on someone saying happy things to me is a waste of money. next time you want spiritual insite, go to a bookstore and check out the self help aisles

Accept control of your destiny verses look for fortune tellers to tell you what you will be doing tomorrow.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I would go to the next one but I would find me some very convincing counterfeit money first. Then sometime after the meeting go somewhere and call on a payphone very close to a police station to let her know you are done. If they complain about the fake money just bring up the bit about seeing it coming lol. If you want to try it with play money they wont really have any reason to rough you up, it isn't like they would be getting anything out of it...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

But what if they say you have a small penis? I mean how do you know they weren't just guessing?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Of course I let myself get ripped off. What post were you reading? The whole post is about me allowing myself to get ripped off. I would have felt a little more confident in not allowing myself to get ripped off if I wasn't so worried about the big dude waiting outside. As I said, it is not without precedent that people who refuse to fall victim to the Rom scam get roughed up. I'm not blaming anybody but myself though.
edit on 25-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by satron

Yep. This is generally how a caste system works. From what I understand the reason they limit their contact is because of the Indian concept of purity and impurity. They are afraid of becoming impure through contact with the gadje. Handling dirty money? No worries, you're golden.

You should go back, and when you go to see the psychic again, act like you've had a vision right before you hand out the dough, and act like your questions have been solved, and claim that the visions were given by the psychic. Thank them very much, and act surprised that you didn't even have to hand over any cash as you walk out.

Clean your shoe on their carpet before you leave though.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Oh, this one particular group WILL try to scam and cajole. For some odd reason only history can explain, it is embedded into their culture. That's what the big dude was waiting around for..in case I refused to pay. This is how the operation goes. The women work the con, the men enforce it. The women do the talking, the men do the intimidating. The reason they do these kinds of things is because they generally refuse to work with, or for the gadje; the outsiders. This means they're generally out to get money for fake services.

Yeah, they got me good. I blame myself. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined being intimidated in this way. I guess I'm not very imaginative.
edit on 25-5-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

So you let your fear stop you from walking out?

You cannot live in fear.

There was no strong arm tactics used against you, it was only in your mind, hence the fear that controls you.

And no point blaming, just accept and learn from it. Do not shrink yourself for any reason friend.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Yeah, I'll give you a star for that one. You're right. I shouldn't live in fear. I mean, what's the worst they could have done? Stole my wallet and car keys and inflict me with impermanent physical pain? And you know what? You're probably right about the fear being imagined. But everything about that situation said I was in for it if I didn't do what she wanted. I have never felt quite so afraid ever before and I've even had a gun to my neck during an armed robbery where I used to work. Not the slightest bit of fear because I didn't believe he'd shoot me. Today I felt like I was in danger. That's all.

I'm just glad I didn't find out for sure if my intuitions were correct or not.

Now about that star..I better start taking your advice and stop being so accommodating to people.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Tell the police what's happening. Maybe an investigator will come along and pose as another friend of yours.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
ive got some magic beans to sell you..just kidding
write it off as a costly lesson

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
LOL...you got pwned.

Don't worry about it though...it's something to retell to your grandchildren. It's just money...
edit on 25-5-2012 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
A friend and i went to a psychic years and years ago and got the same song and dance. I think we both paid about $30 each for the reading and wouldn't you know it??? We both needed "EXTRA" sessions for negative energy and curses. I was then quoted $125 for a candle I could burn when I got home....They are probably still trying to sell that same dusty candle, because I buy candles in bulk for a hell of a lot less than $125!!!

If I had it to do over... even the $30 was too much. Live and learn I suppose. Most of us have been there and berated ourselves afterwards just like you did. Don't be too hard on yourself. We all deserve a "give me" on occasion!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I was first alerted to the veracity of this story when I read how long it took you to remove a piece of paper from under your window wiper.

Now I'm lazy... but... well.. that's worthy of being taken for a ride.

"I can't be bothered to take a piece of spam off my car window. Hey but then I got suckered by Gypsies."

It's all falling into reasonable place. If you ask me that is. And that you still paid.. well.. You do know that My Bridge will solve all your problems; it will take you across water, across deserts. Even across other bridges. It is just that good. Only $250 - a bit less than $400 but I'm willing to share my observations with you for a small fee, having understood the magical mechanics of my bridge, beyond that of any mere mortal, you see.

Only thing is, you have to pick it up from Sydney, Australia, and at night when there is less than standard traffic traversing along it.... to be fair to them, of chouaurse...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
A friend and i went to a psychic years and years ago and got the same song and dance. I think we both paid about $30 each for the reading and wouldn't you know it??? We both needed "EXTRA" sessions for negative energy and curses. I was then quoted $125 for a candle I could burn when I got home....They are probably still trying to sell that same dusty candle, because I buy candles in bulk for a hell of a lot less than $125!!!

If I had it to do over... even the $30 was too much. Live and learn I suppose. Most of us have been there and berated ourselves afterwards just like you did. Don't be too hard on yourself. We all deserve a "give me" on occasion!

You know, this sounds awfully like a Scientology reading.

Haha boy those hounds steal anything that they can scam people with... I'm glad all I did was steal the dianetics book and kick their hoover. They never bothered me again.

I hate those guys...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join