It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does eating organic food make you a jerk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

A new study finds that going organic can make you feel smug about yourself — and act nasty to others

Buying and eating organic food makes many people feel better about themselves. (Not coincidentally, organic products often have panderingly positive names, such as Honest Tea, Purity Life, and Smart Balance.) The flip side, according to a new study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science, is that organic eaters often look down on others, and aren't shy about expressing their derision. Does going organic turn you into a jerk? Here's what you should know:
news.yahoo.com...

It seems to me that this kind of "science" is disinfo being pushed by certain GMO manufacturing muppets. I would rather be a healthy "jerk" than a cool pus filled mutant!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath

A new study finds that going organic can make you feel smug about yourself — and act nasty to others

Buying and eating organic food makes many people feel better about themselves. (Not coincidentally, organic products often have panderingly positive names, such as Honest Tea, Purity Life, and Smart Balance.) The flip side, according to a new study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science, is that organic eaters often look down on others, and aren't shy about expressing their derision. Does going organic turn you into a jerk? Here's what you should know:
news.yahoo.com...

It seems to me that this kind of "science" is disinfo being pushed by certain GMO manufacturing muppets. I would rather be a healthy "jerk" than a cool pus filled mutant!

I think jerks are drawn to it rather than the food turning you in to a jerk.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The need to feel superior for any reason is so "Old World Order" that it is pretty much part of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs at this point.
I hope for better every day and I don't contribute to making it worse.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Ahh you do know that they're not saying that eating this way is what makes you smug. It's that smug people get all smug when they think they're better than you for eating mcdonalds.

Now I can't talk, I'm cooking dead animals.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Whatever the case organic food is BS.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Did you see that episode of South Park? The one where everyone who was driving a hybrid car thought they were better than those who didn't? They were being smug, and the name of the episode had that word in it. I think that people who do eat differently and drive environment friendly vehicles, etc, if they think they are "right" and everyone else is "wrong", do sometimes act or even think they are just "better." Not all of course, but they are out there.

So to answer your question, yes and no. It makes SOME people jerks. Really there is no comparing two different people based on what they eat. Sure you could compare which is "healthier," etc., but ethically speaking there is no right or wrong. Unless you consider eating meat to be bad, but that is another thread, lol. I personally don't find anything wrong with it.

Anyone who thinks they are better than anyone else because they eat organic food is a complete moron. An idjet, as it were. Some people are just jerks though, and not necessarily because they eat organic food. They may eat this way, but are jerks because they are lacking self-confidence, or some other psychological reason. They are deficient in some psychological way. I think it is totally wrong to act smug over anything, although sometimes it just seems like it's human nature.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

idk OP I've had struggles with eatting disorders my whole life, when I do go on a health food kick (or diet) I get overly confident, I get more bitchy, I can see a bit of truth in it, verses when I have a junk food crap food crave then I get a dumb happy chemical blah feeling , I'm not diabetic, just sensitive to the chems, I can't eat msg without getting a terrible headache!

Even if its 'mildly' true or propoganda, lets agree to dissagree that jerks in the world are our last problem, how about more news about cancer cures, or more research about the human genome, there's gotta be something more worth while than studying jerks?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CallYourBluff
Whatever the case organic food is BS.

Have just watched the first part of that. Even though I like Penn and Teller, it's not exactly researched properly is it? Where was any evidence from the first part that organic food isn't more nutritious?

And a serious lol at that Alex Avery guy for two reasons :

1) Hudson Institute? Hmm, where have some of us heard that before? Ah yeah, it has ties with the Tavistock Institute. And it was also created from people at the RAND corporation, another "think tank" that you'd have to be pretty insane to trust.

2) From Avery's wiki page :

The New York Times pointed out that Avery's non-profit employer has received funding from Monsanto Company, DowElanco and the Ag-Chem Equipment Company.

Source : Alex Avery (researcher)

No wonder he was looking so shifty.
edit on 24-5-2012 by robhines because: added RAND corporation link

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yep.
Happened to me when I was a vegan. I totally FELT like that. But I never told people about it when I didn't have to. It would just get annoying. I understand they're rare to come by and all. But I got sick of the same questions and arguments over and over again xD.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
An article about people being smug eating organic food then the OP goes on to drive the point home by acting like a smug idiot.... Anyhow my sister and niece and nephew all got E coli from eating organic and luckily survived but now can't even afford to pay their hospital bills because the farmer they got the meat off of disappeared.... I guess I will stay a puss filled mutant thank you...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I think there is definitely some veracity to this story. One time when I was on my way out of the local library I intentionally pushed an old woman in a wheelchair down a big flight of stairs. Now that I think about it, it probably had something to do with the organic cereal I ate before I left my house. Another time I was in a pub smoking an organic cigarette. Once I was finished I proceeded to extinguish it between an ugly waitresses cleavage while simultaneously asking her if she was adopted from Chernobyl.

Maybe there is something in organic products that alters our brain chemistry?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaughterOfARevolver

idk OP I've had struggles with eatting disorders my whole life, when I do go on a health food kick (or diet) I get overly confident, I get more bitchy, I can see a bit of truth in it, verses when I have a junk food crap food crave then I get a dumb happy chemical blah feeling , I'm not diabetic, just sensitive to the chems, I can't eat msg without getting a terrible headache!

Even if its 'mildly' true or propoganda, lets agree to dissagree that jerks in the world are our last problem, how about more news about cancer cures, or more research about the human genome, there's gotta be something more worth while than studying jerks?

I am sorry my friend. Eating disorders are terrible illnesses. Just remember that you are a valuable and precious human being.
edit on 24-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com...

Is smug or jerk thinking everyone that doesn't eat organic are nothing more than 'pus filled mutants'? You just answered your own question.

BTW, of course eating organic is the best. The problem is because you do it, you seem to think everyone that doesnt is just a 'pus filled mutent'. Thats a smug/ a jerk remark. I believe consuming the good food doesn't change you into a jerk, they were always a jerk/smug before they ate organic.

It's like the most smug non smoker is an exsmoker.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Texcin

news.yahoo.com...

Is smug or jerk thinking everyone that doesn't eat organic are nothing more than 'pus filled mutants'? You just answered your own question.

BTW, of course eating organic is the best. The problem is because you do it, you seem to think everyone that doesnt is just a 'pus filled mutent'. Thats a smug/ a jerk remark. I believe consuming the good food doesn't change you into a jerk, they were always a jerk/smug before they ate organic.

It's like the most smug non smoker is an exsmoker.

Very true indeed. I need to put down that home delivered (by bicycle of course for the green kudos) farm fresh 'légumes vert' and have a long hard look at myself.
edit on 24-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There may be some truth to that. Everytime I go into a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, its filled with snobby people who think they are all that and bag of chips (organic chips!)

Then again, the women are usually very fit and uppity AND they can afford the high prices so it would make sense. I usually go buy things here and there at those stores and cant really wait to get out.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
"Usually" it's the richer people that can afford very healthy organic living, so I can see why they would appear smug. (haha just kidding)

Anyway it works both ways, there are plenty of unhealthy people who judge those who want to eat healthy and exercise a lot too.
edit on 24-5-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well, I work part time at a grocery store and I can honestly say those that buy organic for the most part are generally not friendly, act like it is a chore when you greet them or ask how they are. Many literally look down their noses at us.

Same goes for those who drive hybrids and subarus (nothing wrong with either mind you), but they are the first ones who will cut you off in traffic and are generally rude drivers. Don't even think that one will let you merge into traffic.

Yes, those are both the type that act like pompous asses...but to say that eating organic food or driving hybrids made them this way? Who knows, many of them were probably like that before.

I hate to say it, but I see examples of it every day.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Exactly...

I wonder who funded this "research"

new topics

top topics

join