It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

None of us will change the world.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's incredibly unlikely to become a figure like that, and that's not the only way to have such an impact. And i would NEVER put Steve Jobs in the same category as Gandhi. He knowingly used slave labor to make a profit, that is not helping the world. He inflicted a great deal of pain on the world.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Read my post again and inject humor and a little sarcasm.....and religion too.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

Are we meant to change the world? Is Life supposed to be easy? Are we meant to experience this reality? Are we supposed to experience struggles of the flesh to truly know right and wrong?

These rabbit holes can go deep, I find myself taking a determinist standpoint on many questions, I feel like we are supposed to experience what happens in our Life, and no matter what decisions you make, your destiny is to experience this life!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Small things matter. An idea can be contageous or inspirational. If many people do the same positive small things it adds up to huge positive changes. Reduce consumption, recycle, reuse. Buy used. Clean out your closets and donate to charity. Clean out your garage and donate to restore or habitat for humanity. Take those dry cleaner hangers back to the dry cleaners. Donate older canned food to the food bank. Volunteer your time to the schools to help kids learn to read. Adopt a shelter pet. Pick up trash by the road side near where you live, pick up trash at the beach or mountains. Buy distressed realestate and rehabilitate it. The list is endless of positive things an individual can do...

One person can make a huge difference... I know when my Dad passed away 18 years ago it had a negative impact on the entire family group. He made people work at being the best person responsibly they could be. His grandchildren missed out on the opportunity to know him and learn how to do things. People matter, if you get depressed think to yourself tommorrow is another day and things can be better.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You folks can work on fixing the world, and I'll keep plugging away at dealing with the mess that people are making of the afterworld. Every goddamn tin-pot blowhard over there is trying to claim that he's either Jesus, Satan, Elvis or all three rolled into one, and if he gets directions for reaching back and getting the ascendant attention of some enlightened showboat on this side of the curtain, then look out. He starts packing his fan base and prepping the herd for easy collecting by feeding that guru's need to lead.

It's tough enough to read some of this transcendent trash, but it's worse when you know exactly where the fuel for all that hot air came from. People don't change after they die. They just transfer their skill set to fit the requirements of their new career trajectory. Same as it ever was.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
You folks can work on fixing the world, and I'll keep plugging away at dealing with the mess that people are making of the afterworld. Every goddamn tin-pot blowhard over there is trying to claim that he's either Jesus, Satan, Elvis or all three rolled into one, and if he gets directions for reaching back and getting the ascendant attention of some enlightened showboat on this side of the curtain, then look out. He starts packing his fan base and prepping the herd for easy collecting by feeding that guru's need to lead.

It's tough enough to read some of this transcendent trash, but it's worse when you know exactly where the fuel for all that hot air came from. People don't change after they die. They just transfer their skill set to fit the requirements of their new career trajectory. Same as it ever was.

And can you explain to me why you are privy to such knowledge and claims? such as:

"He starts packing his fan base and prepping the herd for easy collecting by feeding that guru's need to lead."
Who is he?

or when you say "it's worse when you know exactly where the fuel for all that hot air came from. People don't change after they die. They just transfer their skill set to fit the requirements of their new career trajectory. Same as it ever was."

I'm not attacking you, I am literally curious as to how you came to those conclusions and how you can refer to other ideas as trash?

Seems as though you have it all figured out, so enlighten the rest of us as to why you are so right and back up what I see as a narrow-minded atitude to the nature of reality.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Bee-ing a fan of the Bees,, I really liked your short rendering of your day with a bee. I have had a similar experience with what is usually considered less intelligent life forms,, and found it does seem they appreciate,,, even if they fear us as humans,, when we are kind and giving from our hearts.

I thought to myself of the butterfly effect that is being mentioned here, and maybe that bee is the genetic savior of the bees fighting off such things as the Hive Collapse syndrome, or the mite problem,,, and you made it possible for that DNA / or immunity to pass on,,,

It is so true that it is the small that moves the Large,, and so many of the religions out there when they finally shed dogma and moral self righteousness says Live In The Moment,,,
It is all you have, and within it and the small details are the keys to Larger and Bigger situations that can be changed
sometimes for good,,, sometimes to bad,,,, this is Life
It is Good,,,
as my best friend said last December before he died,,
Life Smells Good!!
Inhale that and Pass it Forward

great thread,,, nice and uplifting for a change

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Philosoulpher

Your post reminds me of how so many people tend to want a 'quick fix' solution or drug to make them feel different when they are depressed.
I believe all our emotions could be dealt with differently if we just let ourselves 'own' them once in a while.
If you are depressed,,, Feel it, Know it , and Understand it for what it is, an Emotional State.
I think it much healthier if one can cope and deal with the pain and experience it. Some can not, I understand, but should be pointed into the direction of learning to deal with emotions differently.
The Experience carves a hole as Kahlil Gibran said in one of his poems,,

“The deeper that sorrow carves into your being,the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

Great Post there,,,
reminds me of the quote I love so much

Be the Change You wish to see in the World.

hard to live up to,, but easy enough to try.

S&F to you

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
There's alot of good thoughts in this thread.
The honeybee story is fantastic.
Let me add another:

I can only hope to change what I can control, within reason.
There are a plethora of things that I can't control, so why worry?

Just today I came across a blackbird that got its talons covered in thick tar.
It couldn't grab anything, because the tar was keeping its talons from moving.
I had a compassionate urge to help this poor creature. I felt real bad.
It was tired and stressed, and looked like it wasn't able to fend for itself in days.
It just happened to jump in front of me at the right time, so I caught it.
Birds don't like to be touched. Or caught for that matter. This one was weak though.
This blackbird was watching me so intently, as if to sense it was getting help.
I didn't know if it could fly, so I just tried to keep it calm...that was a challenge in itself.
This poor bird probably thought I was out to kill it, not help it...so it was struggling.
Immediately, I was compelled to get this bird back in the air, so I started cleaning.
The tar wasn't easy to remove, but once the bird started grasping my fingers, I felt better.
I brought it to an area that it could rest and regain enough strength.
Meanwhile, it was loudly making the common "CAWW" sound as if calling for help.
Four more blackbirds joined us as we all walked/flew to the river bank.
The other birds looked more sleek and strong, and they were calling loudly "CAWW"!
All the sudden, one came flying at my head! Then another! Kamikaze style!
They didn't want me touching their stranded friend. I was ducking for cover!
The next few minutes I was ducking and weaving trying not to get hit in the head...
When all the sudden, WHACK...a blackbird actually hit me in the head.
I knew these guys were seriously attacking, or guarding this other bird...
So I rushed to get to an area where I could set it down.

Then I let the blackbird rest on a guardrail post.
After five minutes, he gathered enough strength to fly atop a tree.
He perched on a tree branch and looked back at me.
We watched each other for a few minutes...
Then he "CAWWed".

As if to say, "Thanks".

I hope I changed the world today.
It sure felt like I did.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

I agree with you to an extent. People should spend more time helping others and instead of Bitching about something...roll up their sleaves and fix it!

But I believe that a Single Person can cause great effect and positive change in the World. Obviously...you need more than just one person to create large scale Global Effect but if ONE PERSON can do something to cause Great Effect....others will try to do the same and then we will get to where we should be.

I am one of these people. I try to cause effect with my Charities as well as helping out with food donations that I grow...I admit I have help of my Grounds keeper Fernando...but then there is a third aspect of me that when called upon...I go...and this sometimes Job...if I do it right...can create MASSIVE RAMIFICATIONS for the good.

As far as our Government...that is OUR FAULT...as we have the ability to vote as well as run for office so if you do not like what is going on...DO SOMETHING! VOTE! RUN FOR OFFICE! I am sick and tired of hearing people Bitch when they have EVERY TOOL at their disposal to change things for the better! Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join