It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unplug.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Social media in a way is like playing an MMO or trying to live your life in a virtual reality. Long ago I was hardcore addicted to them,MUDS first then UO, EQ, AO, SWG, EQ2 etc. You get caught up in them and make real friendships, enemies and feel real emotions ... very addictive. Its from that point of view I can relate to what your saying. If anything behind this screen gets to the point of ruining your real life it is most likely time to stop.

I just use the internet now to kill time while I at work waiting for breakdowns, once I leave here I don't really use the internet or watch TV either. The key is not to make it your life and use in moderation, set a time to log off and live your real life as best you can ... Just as IRL pay no attention to those who try and bring you down, they just try and make you play their game. Do what you do and ignore the haters ...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Funny.

I will not have internet, TV and phone in my house until Friday. Yesterday i already didn't have them.
And i have been thinking about the effects.
Life is very different indeed.
More peaceful, you connect to the people around you.

I don't believe in complete unplug ... moderation and discipline is key, and maybe some days a week without TV and internet...

The internet is very good for learning purposes. But we must learn and then act, and when the time to act arrives we must unplug the learning machine.

So yeah, internet can be an addiction, but it can also be very helpful for learning purposes.

It depends on our moderation, self-control, and discipline. Like everything in life.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Manula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

i never played video games. even as a small child, when nintendo was cutting edge and all my siblings were fighting for the remotes, i was in my room alone or out in the back yard alone. never was a big tv watcher either growing up. then into my teens and early 20s i saw all my friends getting sucked into the games a swore i'd never play them...and still don't.

the internet sure is a tricky little beast, though. i never even really let myself dive into it like i wanted to but just from the past year or so of ATS and getting to know folks on this site and a few others, i did get way more sucked in than i had bargained for. i agree...moderation is the key my friend!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

hey mister (or miss...)

always nice to see an old face (or avatar
)

i don't agree with a complete unplug, either. it would show that there is still an issue with self-control.

i went over a month without signing in and only checking ATS once a day or so...and still don't really get involved in facebook. the web is a wonderful tool if used that way but just like every other "gift", it's a double edged sword that can turn against you without realizing it.

as for tv...i haven't turned a tv on in years. there's nothing i've seen on there that looks anything less than boring. but i feel the web has MUCH more good vibes to it than the tv. it would be almost idiotic to completely unplug from the web! there's too much neato info on here.

most days now...i seldom spend more than 30 minutes involved in the web a day. not necessary for my work and afterwards, i try to shy away from it.

but i think the initial unplug was very important to completely severe the tie it had made with my subconscious. i'm typically a very shut off person anyways (icekohld), so i would venture to say that i didn't get grabbed quite as hard by it as some people but it was more than enough to shock the heck outta my system.

it's not even all about the doom and gloom or the hatred that seems to be running rampant on the boards...there has just been a very negative energy seeming to run through the web lately that really sits funny with me...almost like that feeling you get knowing you shouldn't trust a certain person...kinda feel it deep down that there's something you're not seeing but can feel and you know you don't want nothing to do with it.

i'm glad i unplugged but i don't plan on staying unplugged...it was just a transition. now, i've gotta stay conscious of my own behaviors and my own inner voice telling me what's right and wrong! i think a lot of people would greatly benefit from a temporary unplug and then reevaluation but i can only listen to my own inner voice and no one else can hear mine so to each their own!

as with all things, moderation is the key...
edit on 5/23/12 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Nicely stated, Ice. There is a vibe which has taken hold which is quite negative, and it taints and affects everything on this site. Trying to change it is like throwing rocks at a tsunami, so it is best to "unplug" from the internet and plug into real life.

Of course, this sudden shift begs the question: Is the negativity and meanness a result of a coincidental, sudden influx of angry people, or is it a reflection of the stresses of modern life falling apart, and it is reaching critical mass?

I think the nastiness comes from those that have been on here for a while, have gone through everything that interests them (probably twice), and then new people come on and they're so excited when they post something that seems brand new, only to be met with the frustrations of the older members. I know I don't want to be nasty, and I really try to be friendly or just not respond. But, there is so much religion and magic injected into almost every thread that it does wear one down. To the point where I want to scream: THERE IS NO FREAKIN' BIBLICAL GOD! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MAGIC! GROW THE HELL UP! There's no astro-projecting. No ghosts. No demons. No out of body experiences. No heaven, hell, or paradise of any kind. No afterlife.

But people still keep coming with this crap. Hmmm? Sounds like I need a break.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join