It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unusual tree called Jaboticaba

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Have 3 trees like that on my backyard! It is sweet on the inside and the skin is sour, so when you bite it explodes in your mouth. It is one of my favorite fruits, I also have a bonsai version of it

I could never imagine that you guys would be amazed by a tree I have on may yard! This is funny!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I'd love to plant trees like this. In my country such things are very rare, I bet people will be amazed by the fruit forcing them to take a taste of what it is.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I got some cherimoya seeds, gonna germinate those babies. best fruit ever

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Wow how cool is that!!!! Good video telling one to not eat the skin as that's bitter and showing the pit.

Love to learn new stuff and this is again way cool.

Thank you for sharing.............educational. What else is out there most of us don't know about?????

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I live in Brazil and this fruit is delicious, very sweet. The name of the tree is Jabuticabeira. The fruit is not Jaboticaba, but Jabuticaba (with a U).
It's very cheap here.
You should also try: Caju, Goiaba, Pitanga, Uvaia and of course: Açaí
Nature wonders.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Mmmmm All the people describing it make me want to taste some! Ohhh

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Wow, thanks for sharing op.....This planet never ceases to thoroughly amaze me. Just when you thought you've seen it all, you find out just how insignificant we as humans are to this planet.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zundier
I live in Brazil and this fruit is delicious, very sweet. The name of the tree is Jabuticabeira. The fruit is not Jaboticaba, but Jabuticaba (with a U).
It's very cheap here.
You should also try: Caju, Goiaba, Pitanga, Uvaia and of course: Açaí
Nature wonders.

Zundier..since you've eaten the fruit you would know. Is the skin of the fruit soft like a grape, or is it firmer like a cherry? Judging by the pictures the fruit looks to me like its more cherry like in structure.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Figs also bear fruit on the tree as well.
I have one in my backyard.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The varieties of Fig I'm used to don't really do that, and they most definitely stay away from the main trunk when fruiting.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Wowserz! I thought at first it was a Skittles tree, like I saw on tv. Unfortunately it wasn't, and I still don't know where those trees grow...or the money trees, but this is still pretty cool. I have never seen fruit grow on the tree like that...Didn't even know it was possible, lol. I wish those grew wild around my neck of the woods. I still would prefer a Skittle tree though.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Cool thread, very interesting thread. I got to bookmark this as it would come in handy latter on, my mom has a thing for strange plants and trees and stuff, something to look into to get as a present some day. I haven't searched yet but there probably is a thread, or most likely somewhere online there are sites were they have all the strange plants and trees and specific information on what they need to grow, or were specifically and in what region they can only grow.

Either way, other then the Salmonberry, I cant say I ever tasted the rest of the fruits on those lists or the tree/fruit in question in the op, the jaboticaba, but its something to keep in mind and try one of these days.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Must have taken a LOOONG time to superglue all those balls onto the tree!

Khar

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Now that is creepy.

2nd Line.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I wish there was a way to speed up the growth process of this tree! This is an amazing part of nature, thank you for sharing

~ Love is an art

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveisanArt
I wish there was a way to speed up the growth process of this tree!

There is:
Plant Growth Regulator Hormones.

Think of them as the gas pedal where fertilizer and water are merely the fuel, as that's the truth.

The 3 main growth accelerator classes are:
-Gibberellins (Gibberellic Acid) which cause cell stretching.
-Cytokinins (Benzylaminopurine) which causes cell division, branching and flowering.
-Auxins (Indole acids) which causes cell division and root promotion.

Its best to combine them when spraying onto plants for balanced growth. Over dosing a plant with just GBA can cause it to stretch so tall so fast it will fall over under its own weight.

For an example of how profound of effects you can get from PGR's soaking coffee seeds overnight in Gibberellic Acid will cause the level of percievable germination that normally takes literally 90 days.

All plant growth processes are hormone driven. "Dormancy" is merely an 'imbalance' of the 'right' or 'wrong' hormones. Many fruits have growth inhibitor hormones that will prevent the seed from germinating until the fruit fully decays, or you clean the old dried fruit matter from your seeds.

A plant can go dormant or lack vigor when all seems well, and by overfertilizing to attempt break the hormonal stunting you can inadvertently burn and kill a plant.

When you pinch the top shoot of a plant to make it bushier what happens is the plant goes into cytokinin overdrive. Only problem is plants tend to be stunted in growth for about 1-2 weeks. Spraying a plant with cytokinins causes the same branching without the setback or lose of the top shoot.

Virtually every piece of produce you'll ever eat and every houseplant or yard plant you've purchased from commercial suppliers have been treated with PGR's, otherwise plants and fruits would probably cost twice as much, or at least plants would be half the size for the money. Another angle is if you enjoy seedless grapes and many other fruits, you can thank human understanding of PGR's for that.

edit on 22-5-2012 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
that tree's got balls!

second

Too obvious, and yet, still hilarious. : D. What does 'second' mean though? I've been seeing that on a lot of posts here, but never on the 2nd post, so I think I'm missing something.

If I can find some seeds and info, I might try to grow one, if it can survive by me. Even if it'll take a long time, according to Kurzwiel, I'll be able to enjoy it fully mature one day ; )

Anyway, thanks for the post, I too am into whatever new and adventurous foods, and love the amazing variety of the natural world. I'd never heard of this tree before. Pretty Awesome!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Oh how beautiful, you lucky person you..............I see fig jam, fig pie, fig pudding, fig sauce, fig chutney.........

Now, you could even sell some of those figs.

If I lived down the street from you, I would buy some.

Where I am at they don't grow.

Figs are suppose to be very healthy.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

When I lived in Brazil I had it once, but as a juice-like smoothie, and I can't remember what it tasted like, I was more likely eating Acerola:

and Inga (Ice Cream Bean):

and Jaca or Jackfruit:

and Graviola (Soursop):

and Cashew fruit:

and Cacau - which also grows off the side of the tree:

and Guava:

and Passionfruit:

And while you can get the last four in the states (except with Cashew we only get the nut and with cacau we only get chocolate), they're damned expensive.

I remember passing through the town named "Jaboticaba" when I was on a trip. Small place. Smaller than Why, Arizona or Peru, New York. In Portuguese you pronounce it Zha-boo-chee-kah-buh
edit on 22-5-2012 by Sphota because: correcting html...how do you actually put the images in the text, versus a link?

edit on 22-5-2012 by Sphota because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zundier

We've got Pitanga growing at the end of my street here in Florida...a couple buildings around town use it as a hedgerow. Most people don't seem to realize you can eat it, but I see a lot of Brazilians grabbing a few from time to time and popping them in their mouths...Americans tend to be easily disturbed by picking fruits off plants that are meant to be ornamental. We like to keep our plants separate: ones for food, ones for decoration.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join