It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Baby Boomers The Dumbest Generation?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
With the current Generation growing up in a society where everything is done for them, where they have it easier, i beg to differ. Have you ever stopped to think about the current materialistic society, where every teenager feels they need every new tech that comes out on the market? It is disgusting. The current generation are by far the "dumbest," to put it into your words. They rely on technology to help them, they prefer to be lazy than to go out there and work for themselves. They take everything at face value.

Really, when you see the current indoctrination of current society, and in particular, the current generation, then you will see that this generation is by far the most intellectually retarded. You don't need to look any further than MTV to see the truth...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I find this thread ludricous. It seems a poorly disguised rant against folks of a certain age....geriogynist to a t.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Actually, this whole thread is open to such subjuncture because I probably think and act like a Gen X, hope I have the looks (and ahem body) of a Gen Y, and think that my sister (5 yrs younger than me) is a boring old fart. I suppose what I am trying to say is that even if we are born in a certain time frame it doesn't mean that life experiences don't change our whole perspective. I think most people in their lifetime experiences hardship (or comes across it) death, circumstancial change, political change, revolt, war etc.....

Some sociological revolution took place after the war saying oh your a baby boomer therefore you will be like this or your a Gen X so you're expected to be this. Ironically my friendship base ranges from 20-80...so i have traversed all the generation gaps that have been defined....

Whether that makes me more able to communicate or behave in a certain way I have no idea. Maybe the word 'trends' needs to be addressed? trends come and go...all the time. I inject humour, but look at fashion, the arts etc...forever being recycled. So when the baby boomers are gone..maybe there'll be baby boomer 2's etc.

And of course they are going to put a burden on the health system / pension system...why? you might ask because there are so many of them as post war kids. Parents were encouraged to get the population back up after the war...so it's foregone conclusion that it will cause issues in the long term. Its how we address the issues in the future rather than blaming any single one thing.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
With the current Generation growing up in a society where everything is done for them, where they have it easier, i beg to differ. Have you ever stopped to think about the current materialistic society, where every teenager feels they need every new tech that comes out on the market? It is disgusting. The current generation are by far the "dumbest," to put it into your words. They rely on technology to help them, they prefer to be lazy than to go out there and work for themselves. They take everything at face value.

Really, when you see the current indoctrination of current society, and in particular, the current generation, then you will see that this generation is by far the most intellectually retarded. You don't need to look any further than MTV to see the truth...

I guess. I see them as aliens. The music they listen to for example. It is far from deep. The lyrics mostly throw away nothing. And if any of them dare think too hard about something they are labelled emo. But I still think they have many qualities that previous generations didnt have. I think they are more wordly.

And maybe I like that they are less passive as far as politics goes. I know many protest besause its en-vouge. A clever Gen Xer is probably manipulating them but still
I like em. And I think they are better for the future than baby boomers. They will be much easier to work with.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

geriogynist to a t.

I dont know what that means but Im sure it isnt as bad as it sounds.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If we didn't have baby boomers we'd have no internet to rant on. Dumbest generation? You'll not a walking advertisement for yours with this thread. Did you have a bad childhood with hippie parents who fed you tofu growing up? Or maybe an old fart down the block is telling you to turn your music down? What's going to happen when some future generation starts attacking you for being dumb? They could start with this thread and work their way up.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
If we didn't have baby boomers we'd have no internet to rant on. Dumbest generation? You'll not a walking advertisement for yours with this thread. Did you have a bad childhood with hippie parents who fed you tofu growing up? Or maybe an old fart down the block is telling you to turn your music down? What's going to happen when some future generation starts attacking you for being dumb? They could start with this thread and work their way up.

Ha!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

I guess. I see them as aliens. The music they listen to for example. It is far from deep. The lyrics mostly throw away nothing. And if any of them dare think too hard about something they are labelled emo. But I still think they have many qualities that previous generations didnt have. I think they are more wordly.

And maybe I like that they are less passive as far as politics goes. I know many protest besause its en-vouge. A clever Gen Xer is probably manipulating them but still
I like em. And I think they are better for the future than baby boomers. They will be much easier to work with.

Want to know what I see the main difference is between the Y and the others?

They've had internet access for the greater portion of tier lives as opposed to all the other generations, and are, thus, less inclined to believe the hype that "x country is better than y" or "x race is different than y".

That does breed problems all its own, however.

But, yeah, that's the only difference between that geenration and all enerations in the history of mankind. NEVER before has a generation been able to connect on such a deep level, instantly, with anyone across the world, and in such a massive way.

And, honestly, that's something I don't think the powerboys planned for or expected, and they're not knowing exactly how to handle it, either, aside from attempting to erase that ability altogether.

They have to beat the war drums harder, try in bigger ways to cause divisions in mental states and awareness, and work doubletime to stop people from talking about events in an honest (though often troll-filled) way.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

They've had internet access for the greater portion of tier lives as opposed to all the other generations, and are, thus, less inclined to believe the hype that "x country is better than y" or "x race is different than y".

I agree. Most young people are against war. I know that is true of every generation but I think Gen Y more so. And yeah,I think that the internet has made them less naive in many ways than previous generations.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I think the Baby Boomers made strong contributions during their time. However, their contributions, by-and-large, were made with blood, sweat and tears. Not many of them imagined they were building a machine that would dismantle the dream of each generation to come, barring Bernays and his millieu. They didn't imagine it could be worse than a depression followed shortly thereafter by a world war. What we perceive as their apathy is actually their shame in realizing the ignorance of their trust.

edit on 5/21/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Well, how about this lil gem (prob contradicting myself here)...prob an exceptional case

So we have a 31 tr old living next door. He thinks he's a hip hop artist and has a studio. He's virtually never done a days work in his life...Lives with Mommy who provides everything for him...Has loads of hangers on. Never graduated from school and has a 17 yr old (minor) girlfriend.

He spends most of his days on the computer, playing his music all hours of the day, night...sleeps a lot and takes huge amount of drugs, I don't know for certain whether he claims disability as he shakes a lot (prob due to his habitual coc aine/ weed use) His younger sister claims disability because she's bipolar.

So where does this put them..They are by birth Gen Y and Gen Z (the sister)

The sister recently went into alcohol rehab for 8 weeks cos she fancied a holiday (her words) at a significant cost to the tax payer...and she promptly went straight back to the bar.
Needless to say when Mommy is away on the rare occasions they have not got food they go down to the local foodbank
Shysters and scroungers...or Gen Y- Gen Z mentality- you decide!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
I think the Baby Boomers made strong contributions during their time. However, their contributions, by-and-large, were made with blood, sweat and tears. Not many of them imagined they were building a machine that would dismantle the dream of each generation to come, barring Bernays and his millieu. They didn't imagine it could be worse than a depression followed shortly thereafter by a world war. What we perceive as their apathy is actually their shame in realizing the ignorance of their trust.

edit on 5/21/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

I think you are probably right. Most of them must know that they have been screwed by now. And I dont see any solutions other than hardship and world war.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
Well, how about this lil gem (prob contradicting myself here)...prob an exceptional case

So we have a 31 tr old living next door. He thinks he's a hip hop artist and has a studio. He's virtually never done a days work in his life...Lives with Mommy who provides everything for him...Has loads of hangers on. Never graduated from school and has a 17 yr old (minor) girlfriend.

He spends most of his days on the computer, playing his music all hours of the day, night...sleeps a lot and takes huge amount of drugs, I don't know for certain whether he claims disability as he shakes a lot (prob due to his habitual coc aine/ weed use) His younger sister claims disability because she's bipolar.

So where does this put them..They are by birth Gen Y and Gen Z (the sister)

The sister recently went into alcohol rehab for 8 weeks cos she fancied a holiday (her words) at a significant cost to the tax payer...and she promptly went straight back to the bar.
Needless to say when Mommy is away on the rare occasions they have not got food they go down to the local foodbank
Shysters and scroungers...or Gen Y- Gen Z mentality- you decide!

I think tjose are two individuals. But I do agree that the baby boomers are the hardest working out of them,Gen X and Gen Y. But I their work ethic is actually a fault. I like a siesta myself. I think we are all too worries about deadlines and punching in and out in the West.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

In my humble opinion and that of many others Gen X is the most hardworking generation. The baby boomers had promotion at their disposal and rose rapidly in the ranks. Whilst Gen X are mainly in the trenches. We'll have to agree to differ on that as I spent many a time out in the field and saw how opportunistic baby boomers were- are and how they cling onto power and won't let others stand in their way and they also will not give training cos they fear for their job security - Honestly I have seen it many a time and there's that familiar saying they always use 'I didn't get where I am today without blah blah blah
And I've been doing this all my life etc....lol

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I find this thread ludricous. It seems a poorly disguised rant against folks of a certain age....geriogynist to a t.

Seriously.

Not to mention that in the OP he talks about boomers being "racist and homophobes", or at least, more than current alphabet generations. Have you ever seen such a tirade of bigoted ageism?

I do disagree with one thing though smyleegrl, there is no "disguised rant" even attempted. He's got his bigotry laid out clearly on the table for all to see.

Poor guy.
OP -- Grow up.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Also to add..Steve Jobs crossed the boundary of the baby boomer to Gen X so we can blame him and Bill Gates for the inception of the computer age...i agree with an earlier post...we created a monster of which there is no control now...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
reply to post by Germanicus

In my humble opinion and that of many others Gen X is the most hardworking generation. The baby boomers had promotion at their disposal and rose rapidly in the ranks. Whilst Gen X are mainly in the trenches. We'll have to agree to differ on that as I spent many a time out in the field and saw how opportunistic baby boomers were- are and how they cling onto power and won't let others stand in their way and they also will not give training cos they fear for their job security - Honestly I have seen it many a time and there's that familiar saying they always use 'I didn't get where I am today without blah blah blah
And I've been doing this all my life etc....lol

I think you are right actually. The baby boomers have held most of their positions for far too long in many cases as well.

I guess I just feel sorry for Gen Y. It wasnt long ago that baby boomers were calling us lazy and stupid.
I know they arent stupid.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think all generations have had it hard and coming generations will have it hard there's no two ways about it. My parents used to say they felt sorry for the burden that our generation has to carry same as I find myself saying it to people younger than me. I would not want to be starting out now that's for sure!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Seriously.

Not to mention that in the OP he talks about boomers being "racist and homophobes", or at least, more than current alphabet generations. Have you ever seen such a tirade of bigoted ageism?

I do disagree with one thing though smyleegrl, there is no "disguised rant" even attempted. He's got his bigotry laid out clearly on the table for all to see.

Poor guy.
OP -- Grow up.

A tirade a bigoted ageism? Ha! Ive outdone myself. I have been called a dog-bigot on ATS and now an age-bigot. I said not all baby boomers were stupid didnt I? Just like not all people from whatever generation you are from are intelligent.
I just think that baby boomers are dumber in general. I also think that they are dumber as far as politics go.

And if you want this put into the rant section then please alert a mod. You are the one telling me to grow up though. If you disagree that baby boomers are dumber and more naive in general,especially as far as politics is concerned then thats fine. I for one,cannot wait to see the end of their close minded attitudes.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Hey guys lets keep this topic on track and not fall out...everyone is entitled to their opinion...That's why we're on ATS right?

Def a subject that merits discussion....and interesting how on some points we are sharing the same views...I left school at 16 (1978) and went straight into the workforce...took exams via open Uni and college day course. It wasn't easy..and I consider myself a hardworking Gen X and proud of it. Like I said previously because I emigrated and took my pension I was able to retire early..But I bloody well earned it!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join