It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Baby Boomers The Dumbest Generation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I think the Baby Boomers are the dumbest generation by far. I often hear old Baby Boomers complain that Gen Y are stupid because they dont read and they are always busy with facebook. I would agree that Western Education Systems and Western Society has failed Gen Y but I dont see them as dumber.

I think Gen Y are the smartest. Gen Y are the least likely to be racist. Gen Y are the least likely to be homophobic. Gen Y are the least likely to be predjudice in any way. Gen Y have more empathy. I think Gen Y are more open to change. I also think Gen Y are less likely to ignore and accept a corrupt and broken political system.

Baby Boomers are the most likely to be racist,homophobic or predjudice. Baby Boomers have more apathy. Baby Boomers are the least open to change. Baby Boomers have ignored, and want to continue to ignore the politicians and bankers.

The Baby Boomers are the ones that got us into this mess. The Baby Boomers are the ones that are still in control. When they all retire soon it will put a massive strain on the world. Yet a Baby Boomer is still the most likely to vote for a traditional major political party. A Baby Boomer is also less likely to protest their government. I know that not all Baby Boomers are stupid but as far as politics goes I think they have proven to be one of the dumbest, most passive,most selfish, most cowardly generation in history.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Er you missed a Generation out...Gen X'rs came after the baby boomers and are very hardworking, dedicated and committed. They also aren't homophobic, racist etc...

You need to do your research properly...I'm not going to comment on Gen Y as you are all too young and think you know it all which is what you've shown in your post!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

There will be no way to pay for them when their health starts to fail all at once. It is going to be a massive problem for the world. The problem will be that they will still be a massive group of voters. They will all be old and easy to pander to as a group. The Baby Boomers are the worlds biggest problem.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
Er you missed a Generation out...Gen X'rs came after the baby boomers and are very hardworking, dedicated and committed. They also aren't homophobic, racist etc...

You need to do your research properly...I'm not going to comment on Gen Y as you are all too young and think you know it all which is what you've shown in your post!

Im from Gen X. Do you really think you are telling me something by telling me that Gen X exists? Seriously? And if you are from Gen X then you should not patronize Gen Y. I would expect that from a Baby Boomer.

Edit- and even an annoying "er..." Its sad when people offer up obvious information that goes without saying as if they are some kind of clever.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I will not comment on Gen-X or Gen-Y's intellect...BUT I will say, although a generalization, I agree with some of your points. I am surrounded by the BabyBoomers where I work and where I live. It seems as though there is a sort of hands off complacency regarding the ills of the planet.

I remember my Mom being really into yoga and thinking a bit more progressively...Until the crap started hitting the fan. Now her attitude is kinda like, "maybe this planet should just cleanse itself." I sort of feel like I keep hearing the Boomers sitting on the sidelines, cheering for nothing and sort of taking this hands off approach to everything. It's funny that they are also the first (right or wrong) to criticize OWS and other groups trying to make a difference. I guess the Boomers just feel sort of like somebody else clean this up...and you are right...they definitely helped make it.

I frankly feel like telling the arm chair QB's (Boomers) need to shut up if they are not going to help...sort of the "know it alls" of the group. For what it's worth we ALL need to start acting or there really is going to be nothing left.

Peace.
edit on 21-5-2012 by MightyQuincunx because: typo

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

Yeah,thats what I was getting at. They have the attitude that you cant fix anything. It seems to anger some of them if you dare to try. They are so stuck in their ways.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Im from Gen X. Do you really think you are telling me something by telling me that Gen X exists? Seriously? And if you are from Gen X then you should not patronize Gen Y. I would expect that from a Baby Boomer.

Edit- and even an annoying "er..." Its sad when people offer up obvious information that goes without saying as if they are some kind of clever.

Yes I am Gen X through and through...and I retired early because I worked so damned hard to earn an 'early retirement pension' so don't patrionize me either. I managed to retire before 50 so don't pigeon hole or put words in my mouth. I have respect for all the generations. The baby boomers have made their significant contribution to society as are the Gen X's and the coming Gen Y's

You are extremely childish and 'some kind of clever'....where the hell did you learn English grammar?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Most Baby Boomers have never known hardship either. They live in fantasy land. They may have heard stories of the depression but they never lived it. Baby Boomers have lived in a time of ever increasing prosperity. It blows their minds to imagine hardship. They cannot comprehend it. Even with Greece before their eyes. I think we can all blame the baby boomers when this all blows up.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I'm leaving this thread...you've got a real grudge haven't you? I am guessing this thread is going to turn into some big argument because you have made your mind up and blame the baby boomers for everything that's bad in the world.

I suggest you get out more often...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
In each generation, there are those that are the way you are against, such as racist, homophobic, entitled, etc.

It's normal.

As each generation ages, these things are percieved by the yunger ones as getting progressively worse, because the youngers do not understand that the olders are getting set in their ways AND are seeing the upcoming horror of their mortality, and start viewing things from a much more fear-based perspective.

Just as the babyboomers do now, generation X's turn will come, followed by Gen Y's turn. Each, in turn, will get old and set in their ways and complain about thsoe in the upcoming generations.

it's normal. It's natural. it's going to happen to you, and it is going to happen to me.

Sucks, but it's the truth.

These thigns don't make any one generation better or worse than the others, by the way. Just different.

Each one ahs a whole new set of trials and lessons to learn Had the babyboomers not had to deal with a lot of the crap they went through, and survived, you would not be sitting today in the space and perspective YOU have. Just like the gen Y's will benefit from the lessons and events YOU went through (and will still go through).

That's also life, and normal, and is GOOD, because, in that way, each generation makes progress.

To disparage an entire generation of people because you are looking at events through YOUR time line, not theirs, is wrong and diminishes the successes they had for you to grow up in, AND the failures they had, to show you, if you pay attention, what NOT to do in your own generation.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often, does it? Instead, people complain about the older generation and repeat the same failures, instead of paying attention to them and learning a lesson.

Ahh well, no one listens anyhow. They just keep complaining. That's doing a world of good, right?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Yes I am Gen X through and through...and I retired early because I worked so damned hard to earn an 'early retirement pension' so don't patrionize me either. I managed to retire before 50 so don't pigeon hole or put words in my mouth. I have respect for all the generations. The baby boomers have made their significant contribution to society as are the Gen X's and the coming Gen Y's

You are extremely childish and 'some kind of clever'....where the hell did you learn English grammar?

I didnt learn it obviously.

And maybe you are too serious. Im not saying that we should put them all in rockets and send them into the sun when they turn 50 but that would probably be cheaper. Im just saying that old people are close minded and they are also politically selfish and political cowards. I think they have presided over a mess that has left them all looking at a retrement in a world that may collapse. Thats pretty dumb.

You are extremely mature for Gen X. What do you do in retirement? Lawn bowls?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Most Baby Boomers have never known hardship either. They live in fantasy land. They may have heard stories of the depression but they never lived it. Baby Boomers have lived in a time of ever increasing prosperity. It blows their minds to imagine hardship. They cannot comprehend it. Even with Greece before their eyes. I think we can all blame the baby boomers when this all blows up.

Sorry, but look at statistics. Baby boomers are not entirely to blame. Gen X and even Gen Y have done their own damages.

And quite frankly, I have known MANY babyboomers that have lived hard. My parents definitely did, as did quite a number of my friends' parents.

Again, you can't place the blame for everything in this world that has gone wrong on a single generation. We are all human, we are all living in this world and, good or bad, we all contribute.

Instead of playing blame-game, pick up the ball where the baby boomers have failed and help steer the Titanic away from the iceberg.

By the way, if you haven't noticed, I do have respect for all generations, for thier successes and failures.

Great example for Gen Y is the amount of younger folks that have come out to speak against the troubles in the world, even if i don't agree with the idea of protests, myself.

I am a gen-x'er with a gen-y'er wife lol A hell of a lot of my perspective is bred by being raised by both oldsters, babyboomers, my own gen-x perspective and the gen-y of my wife and all of her friends, of which I have been a big part of their lives. Fun place to be in lol

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Gen Y chicks are the best

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
LMAO
I'm still chuckling at the thought of Lawn Bowls...

That's so funny!- actually at the college I was working at (in the 80's) there was a group of us in our twenties and we went to play bowls on the bowling green....

All the OAP's were coming up to us and giving us tips....and we really got on well with them
They embraced the fact that there were all these 'crazies' wanting to play Lawn Bowls

It was fun that summer!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

Sorry, but look at statistics. Baby boomers are not entirely to blame. Gen X and even Gen Y have done their own damages.

And quite frankly, I have known MANY babyboomers that have lived hard. My parents definitely did, as did quite a number of my friends' parents.

Again, you can't place the blame for everything in this world that has gone wrong on a single generation. We are all human, we are all living in this world and, good or bad, we all contribute.

Instead of playing blame-game, pick up the ball where the baby boomers have failed and help steer the Titanic away from the iceberg.

By the way, if you haven't noticed, I do have respect for all generations, for thier successes and failures.

Great example for Gen Y is the amount of younger folks that have come out to speak against the troubles in the world, even if i don't agree with the idea of protests, myself.

I am a gen-x'er with a gen-y'er wife lol A hell of a lot of my perspective is bred by being raised by both oldsters, babyboomers, my own gen-x perspective and the gen-y of my wife and all of her friends, of which I have been a big part of their lives. Fun place to be in lol

Here Here!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jools

Ha! I have played Lawn Bowls myself. Its pretty awesome hey. I have also watched it on tv. A good game can really build tension and get you on the edge of your seat

And I guess I see baby boomers as more reluctant to change than GenX/Gen Y. And I find it a little odd that people call young people dumb alot. I think that all the information that they have access to and the fact that the internet has made the world smaller has made Gen Y more worldly and less ignorant than the generations before them. And I like that they will protest. Gen X never had anything to protest but I wonder if we would have. Like in Canada right now. Those kids are awesome.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
you might find this interesting (or not) lol

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

I could tell you things about my family that would
curl your toenails and make you shiver in your shorts.

I am a baby boomer and I will never be a problem to your
generation.I can take care of myself and my family without
any 'handouts' from you or yours.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Germanicus

I could tell you things about my family that would
curl your toenails and make you shiver in your shorts.

I am a baby boomer and I will never be a problem to your
generation.I can take care of myself and my family without
any 'handouts' from you or yours.

I hope so. There are so many in Greece that have had retirement stolen from them. So many in other Western nations that have been forced back to work because of the GFC. With Europe looking likely to set the world off on another GFC its a scary time. The West has an ageing population on dwindling employment. Austerity seems to be our future. Inflation seems to be the future. I hope we can look after the old but it doesnt look good for many. It is already common to read of horror stories from Nursing Homes. Imagine what it will be like in the future.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I'm a gen X my parents were both of the "silent generation " (the predecessor of baby boomers). I'm married to a gen X whose parents were baby boomers. We are the parents of three gen Zers. I have seen both positive and negative things from all generations. The most common negative being the concept that the problems of this world is always somebody else's fault. I agree that when all the baby boomers retire it will be a massive expense but that our generations job to figure out the solution. Each generation has inherited its own unique problems and had to come up with unique solutions. Its now our turn.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join